Seeking advice on used Mercedes GLB Premium bought from dealer

Wayne_ho

Hi,

I'm seeking advise on a situation and if anyone have faced before. I had done the purchase of a 2nd hand car on last Saturday. A GLB premium model as advertised. 

It is my 2nd time purchasing a pre-owned car since 9 years ago thus not clear on the process.

I was short listing a few options and ultimately decided based on the color and flexibility of the dealer. 

Given the benefits of doubt, I had expected the premium model comes with default premium features. 

Little did I know that I had to look into the data card, playing with the car system before knowing further into it. 

After getting the car for the 3rd day, much findings online and researching, I had realized that most of the premium features are missing (probably cost 10-15k to retrofit them) when it is advertised as premium model. The only thing I sees are the outlooks etc that probably shows the vehicle as premium model.

If I were to refers to the default premium specs from PI Mercedes brochure vs the advertised premium model. There's more than 5 feature missing. 

For my case, transfer of ownership has done, downpayment, loan has just crossed. 

Advertised vs Reality has a xtreme gap. With that said, during my short listing, I thou I would have done it with premium feature enough but instead now, I feels that i had short change and went below 1 level downgrade instead. If I had think right at that moment of time and topup another 8k, I would had been able to get another top premium model with everything in place.

Am I still be able to raise my case for refund via consumer rights on cooling period? When all documents are in place consider 2nd working day?

Advice needed.

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20220213_201705.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I was under the impression the cooling off period only applied before the transfer of ownership is effected. Once that's done, the transaction is pretty much a done deal, I'm afraid. 

Consumer rights are practically non-existent here, you have to go in with eyes wide open. Personally, I would just accept this sort of thing and move on without losing too much sleep.

• Praise 10

May I know what was the model (and spec) reflected

• - in the dealer's advertisement
  • - on the sales document
  • - on ownership record (LTA website) 

E.g. If the advertisement or sales document indicated GLB200 AMG Premium, but shown as GLB200 AMG on LTA record, then you may have a case to fight.

When buying a car, even brand new unit, one cannot rely on the outlook alone to "confirm" that it is the correct model / spec. Running through the technical spec and physically checking out the car is a must (spec of cars brought in by Cycle and Carriages varies from batch to batch for example). 

For GLB, the general outlook (i.e. grille, bumpers, rim, steering, seats, etc.) are the same for all AMG trim. The most distinctive difference (visually) between basic AMG vs Premium model is the the speedometer. 

GLB200 AMG

original_glb_dash_7_inch_scree_163206151

GLB200 AMG Premium / Premium Plus

mb-glb200-amg-Cars-and-Coffee-Singapore-

For Premium vs Premium Plus, the later have full glass sunroof as standard among the other differences.

Take no offence but you can't go with the wrong model if you have done a little research online to understand the differences before checking out the cars at various used car dealers. 

• Praise 24

42 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

What ''Premium'' Features missing.?Some P.I. Equipments different from each Dealer.

These are the various AMG trim (excluding AMG GLB35) in the GLB lineup and the standard features for cars brought in by PI (European model). 

For TS case, I don't think it has anything to do with chips shortage since he/she got a used car. I suspect he got the basic AMG model and didn't realise it come with a smaller screen until days later (probably upon seeing someone else's car with a full size screen). 

GLB AMG Line

Or9djZ2.png

r5zRRqy.png

6loeW7W.png

GLB AMG Line Premium

RGbsT9B.png

s46A4Am.png

fWk7G4t.png

AMG Line Premium Plus

Unup29C.png

JnSa6SR.png

v5Lf2Gy.png

• Praise 12

Posting at 2am, I guess TS really is losing sleep over it.

That being said he only has himself to blame. If he was buying a secondhand car he should have viewed several GLBs in the Premium spec such that even if he was viewing a standard AMG spec car advertised as Premium spec he would immediately have noticed the differences.

Now, not only deposit has been taken but transaction is complete - I don’t think he has much recourse. LTA records particularly for PI cars can be quite variable and may not accurately describe the actual car in question. 

• Praise 4

If the so call missing features  are not written on your sales agreement or an attached specification with the agreement, I think you have no case. Just drive on  and enjoy what you have, dont  gripe about what you dont have

• Praise 1

There is no point losing sleep over trim levels . I would lose sleep if the engine / electricals / gearbox had gremlins.Enjoy what you have.

Most conti car manufacturers have multiple trim levels designed to confuse.

As an example I will go to something I am familiar with - the BMW F20 116i and then the 116d that PML brought in . The base model without the M sport trim was just that - a base model . So anyone who just walked into PML and bought it, was forever upgrading multiple things - steering wheel , sports seats , body kit, audio system ...etc . While , if they indented a car , all this could have been ticked off as a factory option and the money saved could have been used for other upgrades 😃.That being said - all those factory options are again upgradeable 😅

Apart from the M sport models , you could also tick off another at least 20 things on the indent sheet if you so wished.

I think Porsche will let you chose enough to double the price of the base model!

Just being sad about a screen and driver assistance packages is quite sad!

Edited by shrjun
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

PI car can vary in specs. Tho many know PI's GLB 'Premium' specs are not very premium. Gotta go Premium Plus to be equivalent to agent car

Moral of story: Want certainty, buy from C&C

Price may not be most friendly but it's all there 

• Praise 5

Sorry to hear that the car you've received was lesser than you've expected.

Unless you can prove that the seller misrepresented or oversold on the features, it's hard to ask for a refund as you've already mentioned, it's a resale vehicle so the car was already there for you to check, send for inspection, think thru, ask the dealer, ask here, before purchase. 

So since you've already paid so much for the car and can't do much, just enjoy the ride. Life's short to be upset with such mistakes. Car is still lovely to drive without some of the features anyway.

• Praise 5

Buy car not buy veg. Buy already then search online for info? Doing own research is the first thing before buying a car.

Deal done. Move on from the mistake and enjoy the ride as it is.

• Praise 6

No relation to the company, but when the longing gets too painful, and your wallet has recovered somewhat, retrofit kits are available for some of the missing things:

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Congrats to TS on the new purchase. 

He got the car and transferred to his name. 

True.. some buyers paid money already don't even get the car.. haha..

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1