Kia Seltos vs Citroen C4

Anderss

5 hours ago, Anderss said:

Sorry, I did not make myself clear.

When i meant safety tech (Drive Assistance Systems) is (These are what C4 has)

- Adaptive Cruise Control

- LED Cornering Lamps

- Lane Keep Assist

- Collison Risk Alert

- Active Safety Brake even for Pedestrians crossing road

- Driver Attention Warning

- Blind Spot Monitoring

- Extended Road Sign Recognition & Speed Recommendation

etc.

The thing i like about Seltos are its ventilated seats and the looks but its NCAP rating is nothing to shout about too and without the tech makes it more challenging.

Kia Seltos Scores 3 Stars - https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-news/safety-shocker-kia-seltos-scores-3-stars-in-global-ncap-crash-tests-26342.htm

I might be incorrect but i only have the info from C&C and might be inaccurate with my research. Feel free to correct me. Thank you.

thanks for the clarification. Since Kia is not in your friend's preference because of the stated reasons like much less safety features and not so great NCAP rating,  then move on. But before deciding on Citroen, your friend may want to consider the reliability reputation of Citroen. I am not saying certainly Citroen is bad but it is a risk to take. With that, would your friend want to compare Citroen with another brand instead if not Kia ? If your friend has narrowed down to these two brands, the choice is obvious. 

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Tkseah said:

Why not list your preferences and budget.. let the folks here suggest models for u to consider..

anything below 120k will be good.

SUV with driving assistance.

2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

thanks for the clarification. Since Kia is not in your friend's preference because of the stated reasons like much less safety features and not so great NCAP rating,  then move on. But before deciding on Citroen, your friend may want to consider the reliability reputation of Citroen. I am not saying certainly Citroen is bad but it is a risk to take. With that, would your friend want to compare Citroen with another brand instead if not Kia ? If your friend has narrowed down to these two brands, the choice is obvious. 

citroen will be safer for sure. most of the time at the workshop..... not driven, 100% safe.😄

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 9

6 hours ago, Anderss said:

Almost forgot Vezel. Thanks for that. I will research on it too.

now i have

Seat Arona

Citroen C4

Toyota Yaris Cross

Honda Vezel

to compare

Then it's quite simple. 

If you value reliability + economical to run, u can drop all non jap/korean brands. The new Yaris cross and Vezel (version used by PHVs) have euroncap 5 stars safety rating as well.

No right or wrong answers.

European cars, while generally more expensive to maintain (or less reliable), makes it up with better equipment level/comfort/drive feel.

Take a day off during weekdays and go view and test drive them all and see which one you like best. 

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 2

10 hours ago, Anderss said:

Sorry, I did not make myself clear.

When i meant safety tech (Drive Assistance Systems) is (These are what C4 has)

- Adaptive Cruise Control

- LED Cornering Lamps

- Lane Keep Assist

- Collison Risk Alert

- Active Safety Brake even for Pedestrians crossing road

- Driver Attention Warning

- Blind Spot Monitoring

- Extended Road Sign Recognition & Speed Recommendation

etc.

The thing i like about Seltos are its ventilated seats and the looks but its NCAP rating is nothing to shout about too and without the tech makes it more challenging.

Kia Seltos Scores 3 Stars - https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-news/safety-shocker-kia-seltos-scores-3-stars-in-global-ncap-crash-tests-26342.htm

I might be incorrect but i only have the info from C&C and might be inaccurate with my research. Feel free to correct me. Thank you.

My car doesn't have any of these - haven't fallen off the road yet 🤣 . Personally wouldn't chose a car based on ADAS availability.

Edited by shrjun
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

57 minutes ago, shrjun said:

My car doesn't have any of these - haven't fallen off the road yet 🤣 . Personally wouldn't chose a car based on ADAS availability.

Cannot compare, my car COE car, got key, can start ,  can stop, ok liao. Safety features? nothing except auto avoidance system, i dont know how it works but  everyone see my car will avoid far far.🤣🤣🤣 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

TS,

Many here has highlighted about french reliability being questionable and they are not wrong, however their bias is backdated and have not actively updated their knowledge on the subject matter,

Specifically for the new C4, it uses the new PSA's group's EMP1  platform which several other identical cars are built upon, in which they use the identical engines/transmissions and chassis and only complete the coachwork that goes on top of it, hence reliability is assured due to shared parts and inventory issues is mitigated as some have highlighted here pertaining to local distributors in Singapore,

These are currently some of the car variants based on the EMP1 platform (there is an EMP2 platform for the bigger crosses/suvs llike the 3008 and c5 aircross):
wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_C4

Peugeot 2008
Peugeot 208
DS 3 Crossback
Opel Mokka
Opel Corsa
Citroen C4

From my understanding, at least in the case at point (Citroen C4), it uses the Peugeot pure-tech 1.2 turbo engine which is more then a decade old in design and highly proven in not only this generation but in the last few generation of cars.

The transmission in the Citroen is an Aisin AW (Toyota) which powers the following cars (there is the full and significantly extensive list in the wiki)
wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35

BMW & Mini GA8F22AW
Toyota UA80E/UA80F
Volvo TG-81SC/SD
GM AWF8F45 & AF50-8
VW AQ450

hence again its a proven and reliable solution (especially so since its Japanese) and used in many cars and manufacturers so it can be a given to last through the entire 10 year life of the car in for its use in Singapore (and maybe more)

As for framework and quality, its a Citroen, hence its pretty well put together and structurally sound, most people cringe at how quirky and polarisingly unique french cars can be (inside and out) but this variant of the C4 was one where the french came to their senses and melded their amazing exterior flair with sensible and sound interior designs together with a well engineered framework.

This might be Citroen's best car in perhaps the last 20 years and its sensible for driving on a daily basis and on the wallet too here in Singapore. I test drove it a few times and am awaiting delivery for mine, and I can safely say as of time of this writing, it without a doubt out-values every other option in its class, seltos, 2008, vezel, cx30. The decision for many may be its unique style, but at least from an engineering perspective on paper, it might be the most sound meld of parts from all over the world to create quite a comfortable, reliable and practical ride here in SG.

I personally have some issues with smaller items on the car (hud can be better / cockpit can be cooler / boot can have better design for modularized storage / no powered tailgate / no full led rear lamps (uses bulb-led combination lamps) and the list goes on, but then again its a car priced at 109k/115k where its equipment and spec list is that of the 125-140k range (2008/3008) which i'm not so keen to shell out because then I'd be considering other brands already.

Interesting note also is that the c4 is the only stretched wheel base emp1 car there is, so its actually competing with the emp2 cars in terms of size and usable space hence is also the rivaling price segment of those cars as well (eg. Peugeot 3008)

Edited by Nashaz
  • Praise 8

TS,

Go read the thread below and see the comments from all those who have owned citroen before.  At least your friend can make a more informed decision before  making up his mind. One more point, sometimes when a newbie in a social media has never posted anything before and suddenly pops up with his first post trying to convince you something to be very very  very good, you need to be careful and think why that someone can be so kind to do that . Since this is your friend's money, if i were you i will share with him all the commmments, include one who said citroen is very very good, let him make the decision himself.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 1

6 hours ago, Nashaz said:

TS,

Many here has highlighted about french reliability being questionable and they are not wrong, however their bias is backdated and have not actively updated their knowledge on the subject matter,

Specifically for the new C4, it uses the new PSA's group's EMP1  platform which several other identical cars are built upon, in which they use the identical engines/transmissions and chassis and only complete the coachwork that goes on top of it, hence reliability is assured due to shared parts and inventory issues is mitigated as some have highlighted here pertaining to local distributors in Singapore,

These are currently some of the car variants based on the EMP1 platform (there is an EMP2 platform for the bigger crosses/suvs llike the 3008 and c5 aircross):
wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_C4

Peugeot 2008
Peugeot 208
DS 3 Crossback
Opel Mokka
Opel Corsa
Citroen C4

From my understanding, at least in the case at point (Citroen C4), it uses the Peugeot pure-tech 1.2 turbo engine which is more then a decade old in design and highly proven in not only this generation but in the last few generation of cars.

The transmission in the Citroen is an Aisin AW (Toyota) which powers the following cars (there is the full and significantly extensive list in the wiki)
wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35

BMW & Mini GA8F22AW
Toyota UA80E/UA80F
Volvo TG-81SC/SD
GM AWF8F45 & AF50-8
VW AQ450

hence again its a proven and reliable solution (especially so since its Japanese) and used in many cars and manufacturers so it can be a given to last through the entire 10 year life of the car in for its use in Singapore (and maybe more)

As for framework and quality, its a Citroen, hence its pretty well put together and structurally sound, most people cringe at how quirky and polarisingly unique french cars can be (inside and out) but this variant of the C4 was one where the french came to their senses and melded their amazing exterior flair with sensible and sound interior designs together with a well engineered framework.

This might be Citroen's best car in perhaps the last 20 years and its sensible for driving on a daily basis and on the wallet too here in Singapore. I test drove it a few times and am awaiting delivery for mine, and I can safely say as of time of this writing, it without a doubt out-values every other option in its class, seltos, 2008, vezel, cx30. The decision for many may be its unique style, but at least from an engineering perspective on paper, it might be the most sound meld of parts from all over the world to create quite a comfortable, reliable and practical ride here in SG.

I personally have some issues with smaller items on the car (hud can be better / cockpit can be cooler / boot can have better design for modularized storage / no powered tailgate / no full led rear lamps (uses bulb-led combination lamps) and the list goes on, but then again its a car priced at 109k/115k where its equipment and spec list is that of the 125-140k range (2008/3008) which i'm not so keen to shell out because then I'd be considering other brands already.

Interesting note also is that the c4 is the only stretched wheel base emp1 car there is, so its actually competing with the emp2 cars in terms of size and usable space hence is also the rivaling price segment of those cars as well (eg. Peugeot 3008)

Are you Citroen Salesman.?😆

• Haha! 2

@Ct3833 

Don't need to be so salty about the newbie part lol, 

I am sharing the information I found because of the lack of any information on this forum about citroen on general, 

For those looking to chit-chat, more then welcome to share my thoughts and findings for a Sunday showroom walkabout lol

And no I'm not citroen salesman, though I should have been right? 😂

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

10 minutes ago, Nashaz said:

@Ct3833 

Don't need to be so salty about the newbie part lol, 

I am sharing the information I found because of the lack of any information on this forum about citroen on general, 

For those looking to chit-chat, more then welcome to share my thoughts and findings for a Sunday showroom walkabout lol

And no I'm not citroen salesman, though I should have been right? 😂

Good to know.  But basing on what you have  written, the details and  technical content  of your post is a lot more than an ordinary buyer could put together, I just want to make sure that TS who use MCF forum here  will  get the correct and fair information. Buying a non mainstream car is like taking a journey on an unchartered path, one has to go in with his eyes opened. It could be a rewarding decision but just make sure that if things turns the other way round, one must be prepared to accept the outcome of a 100k decision.  Enjoy your new ride ! 

• Praise 5

Got warranty dun need scare, french, italy 敢敢買。

Only when those warranty finish and the repair start to pop up, then the owner will really get to know the smell french make😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2