Is it illegal to fetch passengers at the back of a Suzuki Every?

Fitz4i

6 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Doesn't make sense when you see FWs being ferried on the back of a lorry in makeshift seats that are not secured (cut-off plastic chairs) and not to mention no safety belts.

Just so that infrastructure and housing construction can continue unabated, FWs life can be gambled?

In Germany, the transport authority or police will *faint* ; don't know how many violations. I once saw, in Germany, the police even checked that cargo within an enclosed compartment goods lorry was properly tied down.

Those lorry that carry FW on the back are registered, The owner pay for it. How many can be carry is know by the yellow sticker behind. Everything is about money and registration🤣

Its like u can buy a hi-ace van equip it like those mini school bus, But u still cannot carry ppl, not even your own worker or family members if its not registers as a passenger carry mini bus etc etc. At the same time those lorry despite looking more dangerous can carry ppl, because they pay and register for it. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

2 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Why remove the sofa?

Just tell the inspector you are a sofa delivery man lah!

And faster do his checks lah as a customer is standing around

waiting for his sofa delivery to sit down.

:D

Now …..: why didn’t think of that 🤣🤣 or a coffin in shape of sofa ……. Must ask konsultant here @RadX🤣🤣

• Haha! 2

Cause LTA is the smartest stat board. 
have canopy and sit on the floor of the deck of a truck is much safer than in the rear of a van with factory installed seat with belts. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

TS,

this is a 2015 article, not sure if it is still valid. 

>>>>>>>

.....apart from limited seating and the modern comforts and luxuries of of passenger cars, your goods vehicle is also limited to a maximum of 70km/h. So you might not get to where you want to go, as fast as a passenger car can.

Take note that if you have rear passengers, and no passenger seat belts for them, you are only allowed to go up to a maximum of 60km/h....

https://www.------.com/features/10043/goods-vehicles-the-good-the-bad-amp-the-ugly

• Praise 1

i bought the kei van for myself so i have investigated this matter to some degree. 

the Suzuki Every mini van, when imported into SG and first inspected (for entry) at the inspection centre, there are no rear seats and seat belts installed. 

yes, the seats and seatbelts are included when shipped here from Japan and are OE parts, but these are not installed during entry inspection (likely removed in SG before inspection). these are installed (again) by the seller after sale during registration. 

the legislation is as such: if you want to officially and legally carry more than (1 or 2) humans AND goods using G plate, you will buy a vehicle that can be registered as GOODS-CUM-PASSENGER VEHICLE, and insure it accordingly. 

examples of these are dual cab pickup trucks. the cost is 100% ARF instead of 5%. but you can use it like a (slower) car and/or goods vehicle, and if anything happens to your sister or grandmother, the insurance company won’t pick at you too much. 

for GOODS VEHICLE, the log card will state how many passengers (ie, excluding driver) that vehicle can officially carry beside the driver (not related to the yellow PAX sticker at the rear right corner). the number is usually 1 or 2 at most.

this info is also pasted on the vehicle ID decal on each door. you CAN carry more passengers at the cargo area if you have the yellow sticker, and to do so you need to get the covered cargo area inspected and calculated.

for the legality and purposes of tax, you cannot permanently install seats in the cargo area, because it then becomes a different category (and perhaps even a different type) of vehicle.

(just like you cannot install an OE toyota supra engine into your S plate toyota car!)

but for the purposes of convenience (or cost savings) to business owners, their own employees ARE allowed to be ferried on the cargo deck. otherwise a driver can just buy a big lorry and start an informal human transportation business (not legal because the lorry is now a low priced sightseeing bus)!

you will realize any visible seats on big Y or G plate lorries are almost always easily removable. this is to ensure compliance with with the purpose of the vehicle. they are not pulled over often ONLY because the officer sees the rear seats.

now, the rear seats and rear seat belts in the Suzuki Every, although original equipment, is not recognized by the authorities because it was not how the vehicle was approved into SG.

this doesn’t mean the Suzuki driver will be pulled over by each and every TP/LTA officer that sees the seats or people on the rear seats - he may get lucky or they may not care (we won’t know). it helps to drive within the designated limits and in the correct lane.

if your driving style is honda vtec/audi type, then i think the $300 fine will come for sure.

during annual inspection, the seats should be folded flat and remain covered either by boards or cloth or some other material - this helps the inspector to help you. let’s  not make it too obvious. 

if he asks about seatbelts, just say they are not used. they usually won’t ask about it if your rear seats are flat and covered up. throw a few boxes on top if you can!

as for insurance… honestly i have ridden in the back of kangoo, dyna, cabstar and even inside the canopy of a nissan dua cab pickup truck many times over the past 25 years and nothing happened to me. some times i sit on the floor, some times i just stand the whole trip because the floor is too dirty, and in the kangoo the driver had rear bean bags.

i have seen TP and LTA officers see me inside before and they didn’t care. some times they see me from the rear window, some times the side door (fully enclosed G plate cabstar) is opened about 2-3 inches for air - the vehicles were always driven at a reasonable speed.

this is more important in the Suzuki Every because it’s not a 5 star NCAP vehicle… and it is very small and probably quite soft.

belting up the rear passengers are probably a smart move as it may reduce injuries in the event of an accident. the belts are there! it is silly not to use it!

i was informed by my agent that if my friends happened to need insurance cover while sitting in the rear, AND ONLY IF THIS IS TRUE, to inform the insurers that my friends are working part time for me and they just started work recently…

but i am the business owner so i am entitled to employ whomever i need/choose.

if you cannot take the driving style required, annual seat folding and cover duties, worried about what happens in an accident, then it is best you DO NOT take more than 1 passenger in your kei van.

otherwise please use a vehicle that will suit your needs more. because if anything happens, it will be the driver’s responsibility.

i hope this post adds a tiny bit of clarity to this rather vague (but sensible) issue.

good luck, stay safe on the roads!

Edited by seizure
  • Praise 9

On 2/19/2022 at 3:36 PM, Sosaria said:

Doesn't make sense when you see FWs being ferried on the back of a lorry in makeshift seats that are not secured (cut-off plastic chairs) and not to mention no safety belts.

Just so that infrastructure and housing construction can continue unabated, FWs life can be gambled?

In Germany, the transport authority or police will *faint* ; don't know how many violations. I once saw, in Germany, the police even checked that cargo within an enclosed compartment goods lorry was properly tied down.

Here is money talks :XD:

On 2/19/2022 at 3:36 PM, Sosaria said:

Yeah they're very strict in the EU. Sit bus must wear seat belt also.

SG clearly puts profits above safety. 😢

I always wondered why car makers must use car engines?

Why not just use a bike engine in a car?

It works

:D 

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1