Looking to buy first car for work. Eyeing Aveo5 or Merc 200E but need advice

lyw24

The 2 cars difference is really wide. How to answer leh. 

If this kind of question is asked by my personal close friend. Then I will discuss. But how to collect such wide question and answer here leh. Sure got all different views one. Expecially all donno TS's family, backgrond, job and thinking leh

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Aveo and Merc is like saying I going holiday which hotel should I book?

Ritz or H81!

Like some men like girls with fats legs and some men thin legs I would suggest something in between.

Not too fat and not too thin.

Maybe a Vios or Fit or Swift.

Cheap to run, cheap to fuel, cheap to insure and cheap to maintain.

:D

• Praise 2

On 2/20/2022 at 2:44 PM, Mahjong74 said:

@lyw24 

Good Choice on a 13 yrs old Chevrolet Aveo5.

My car mechanic love these type of cars as they always need to visit workshop frequently. If not how my mechanic earn a living?

As to further renew COE, you cannot extend further sine it's only renewed for 5 years. But you can appeal with LTA with some sad stories / justification. 

My advice:

1. Don't wait for 2-3 years. Just change career NOW which don't need a car. 

2. Don't look further in getting a car. Just get a new job. 

3. Your budget is too low for getting a car. Grab or Taxi is a better choice. KIV your car purchase to 5 years later. 

I think there's a blue COE cerato on SGCM. That reliability would trump that of the Aveo, suggested by @BabyBlade and it's below 10k (1 yr 8 months) although it's a manual and the Coe cannot be renewed.

Kia is heaps better than the Chevrolet. I understand why people would get a Frenchie/Ford but am lost with Chevys unless they are very cheap. 

While buying a car now is ex, maybe he has samples to carry as suggested by @PSP415 ?

Edited by Brass

16 minutes ago, Brass said:

I think there's a blue COE cerato on SGCM. That reliability would trump that of the Aveo, suggested by @BabyBlade and it's below 10k (1 yr 8 months) although it's a manual and the Coe cannot be renewed.

Kia is heaps better than the Chevrolet. I understand why people would get a Frenchie/Ford but am lost with Chevys unless they are very cheap. 

While buying a car now is ex, maybe he has samples to carry as suggested by @PSP415 ?

This one? 

https://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1061897

Can't. It's an OPC. 

And not sure TS likes manual transmission. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 2

13 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

This one? 

https://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1061897

Can't. It's an OPC. 

And not sure TS likes manual transmission. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

For COE cars, there's nothing to pay LTA except $100 for admin fee to remove the seal, additional road tax and of course $60 for the car plates which should be able to be negotiated with the dealer.

IMG_20220221_150655.thumb.jpg.a89bb19a6db61a39e0e412a465f4aec6.jpg

You get no rebate anyway except for $500 road tax rebate per year so no rebates have to be paid back except for the road tax difference.

The Aveo is manual so I doubt he minds...

And the Mercs is sold.

Edited by Brass
  • Praise 2

4 minutes ago, Brass said:

For COE cars, there's nothing to pay LTA except $10p for admin fee to remove the seal, additional road tax and of course $60 for the car plates which should be able to be negotiated with the dealer.

You get no rebate anyway except for $500 road tax rebate per year.

OK, thanks for sharing.

Unaware of this for COE cars.

Also din realise the Aveo he shortlisted is also a manual. 👍

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 2

On 2/19/2022 at 5:11 PM, lyw24 said:

Hey all, I'm looking for my first car due to the nature of my job (Travelling to different places a day to visit clients)

Things I look out for (Ranked from top to bottom)

1. Budget specific for car: 10k-15k (I have set aside 1.5k a mth for all the car expenses)
2. COE duration: I want a 3 year COE car preferably (But now I can't find any such cars within my budget), will make do with 2 years COE. Why 2-3 years is by then I will decide whether to change career or not (Which may not need a car)
I'm not particular about features or accessories, as long I can drive safely with the car.

Currently eyeing these cars:

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1069137: Chevrolet Aveo5, I think I can renew COE for this car after it expires right?

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1058804&DL=1000Mercedes-Benz 200E, the low price make me question the reliability of this car, and if I'm not wrong, the COE of this car cannot be renewed anymore?

Any recommendations/ advice? Or any other things I should look out for when I get a car?

Funny to even compare these 2 car models. The running cost can be more than doubled for the 200E....

• Praise 2

47 minutes ago, Brass said:

small chevies are actually  Korean cars.... not that much different from Kia... ok maybe just less well-built, less well-designed, less resale value, less reliability........

• Haha! 3

Wah TS bought the Merc already huh?

:D

31 minutes ago, Brass said:

For COE cars, there's nothing to pay LTA except $100 for admin fee to remove the seal, additional road tax and of course $60 for the car plates which should be able to be negotiated with the dealer.

You get no rebate anyway except for $500 road tax rebate per year so no rebates have to be paid back except for the road tax difference.

And the Mercs is sold.

• Haha! 1

To TS: I also strongly advise you against buying the Aveo or Merc 200E. They are really money pit holes. The upfront prices may look okay but their running costs and maintenance expenses can be really shitty. Also you must budget for insurance + parking + road tax + ERP etc.

If your job nature really needs a car. A company will usually pay about $2000 and up per month

That amount is usually enough to cover the expense to lease a car. Don’t buy and commit to anything. Seriously it’s not worth.

Edited by Goldenvodka
  • Praise 2

16 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

small chevies are actually  Korean cars.... not that much different from Kia... ok maybe just less well-built, less well-designed, less resale value, less reliability........

Daewoo?

Edited by Kopites

Just buy a used suzuki every / daihatsu hijet 

Easy on the wallet, easy on fuel, easy to drive / Park, prob easy to maintain as well. 

Can use to ferry xmm also. Totally suitable as a work vehicle. Why bother with car. 

Www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1070703

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Haha! 3

As an old bird here, I concur with many others on their wise advice, which I summarise:

- if got car allowance, rent, don't buy

- If must buy coe car, get a b&b car which is still common on the roads

- most of us wouldn't touch coe continental or non-japanese cars because your time and money will be spent at workshops 

• Praise 3

On 2/19/2022 at 5:11 PM, lyw24 said:

Hey all, I'm looking for my first car due to the nature of my job (Travelling to different places a day to visit clients)

Things I look out for (Ranked from top to bottom)

1. Budget specific for car: 10k-15k (I have set aside 1.5k a mth for all the car expenses)
2. COE duration: I want a 3 year COE car preferably (But now I can't find any such cars within my budget), will make do with 2 years COE. Why 2-3 years is by then I will decide whether to change career or not (Which may not need a car)
I'm not particular about features or accessories, as long I can drive safely with the car.

Currently eyeing these cars:

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1069137: Chevrolet Aveo5, I think I can renew COE for this car after it expires right?

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1058804&DL=1000Mercedes-Benz 200E, the low price make me question the reliability of this car, and if I'm not wrong, the COE of this car cannot be renewed anymore?

Any recommendations/ advice? Or any other things I should look out for when I get a car?

Top up a bit can get used Tesla…

No right , no wrong..😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2