First time buyer looking to buy Avante / Elantra / Vios / Shuttle

Eklips

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here first time buying car.

Im interested at elantra, avante, vios and shuttle.

What's the reasonable price for the cars and how much depre to look at?

My wife prefer PARF Car but yet to view any yet. Im OK with COE car.

But now COE damn high, Used Car also follow COE price. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Eklips said:

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here first time buying car.

Im interested at elantra, avante, vios and shuttle.

What's the reasonable price for the cars and how much depre to look at?

My wife prefer PARF Car but yet to view any yet. Im OK with COE car.

But now COE damn high, Used Car also follow COE price. 

1  Listen to your wifey. She's wise. 

2. Check out prices of your 3 shortlisted cars via - 

https://m.sgcarmart.com/

3. Do comparison on cars like age, number of owners, yearly depreciation, accident free, condition etc. 

4. Go test drive with experienced friend or family member. 

5. Send to AA for inspection. You pay. 

6. Used cars. Manage expectations. 

7. Car Dealers. Read up on what to avoid, what u need to pay attention to in this thread.

Money is yours.

If you are careless and choose to be lax, lazy or naive, pay school fees. May or may not end up with car, or car may or may not be transferred to you or car is every mechanic's daily customer etc etc. 

If dun need a car, take grab or BMW is definitely a good and wiser choice. Occasionally need one, rent or use BlueSG. 

Roads full of idiots, so driving may be very stressful for some. Insurance for new drivers will not be cheap too. 

Happy shopping. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 8

19 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

1  Listen to your wifey. She's wise. 

2. Check out prices of your 3 shortlisted cars via - 

https://m.sgcarmart.com/

3. Do comparison on cars like age, number of owners, yearly depreciation, accident free, condition etc. 

4. Go test drive with experienced friend or family member. 

5. Send to AA for inspection. You pay. 

6. Used cars. Manage expectations. 

7. Car Dealers. Read up on what to avoid, what u need to pay attention to in this thread.

Money is yours.

If you are careless and choose to be lax, lazy or naive, pay school fees. May or may not end up with car, or car may or may not be transferred to you or car is every mechanic's daily customer etc etc. 

If dun need a car, take grab or BMW is definitely a good and wiser choice. Occasionally need one, rent or use BlueSG. 

Roads full of idiots, so driving may be very stressful for some. Insurance for new drivers will not be cheap too. 

Happy shopping. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Hi Psp415,

Thanks for the response.

1. Happy wife happy life 

2. Been looking at sgcm already and also carousell. Direct owner as well.

3. Yet to have physical viewing so can't really compare from photos. 

4. Noted, spoken to an exp friend for help.

5. Noted.

6. What expectation are reasonable?

7. Read through about 60 pages, still in progress. Saw the blacklisted Dealer. 

I buy because to ferry and pick up kids. Sometimes it's quite frustrating not getting a grab.

I have license for more than 10years already. Once a while drive friend and family Car.

Speaking about insurance, if buy under my name but my wife who is new that is driving, so how to claim insurance if something happen when she drives? 

2 minutes ago, Eklips said:

Hi Psp415,

Thanks for the response.

1. Happy wife happy life 

2. Been looking at sgcm already and also carousell. Direct owner as well.

3. Yet to have physical viewing so can't really compare from photos. 

4. Noted, spoken to an exp friend for help.

5. Noted.

6. What expectation are reasonable?

7. Read through about 60 pages, still in progress. Saw the blacklisted Dealer. 

I buy because to ferry and pick up kids. Sometimes it's quite frustrating not getting a grab.

I have license for more than 10years already. Once a while drive friend and family Car.

Speaking about insurance, if buy under my name but my wife who is new that is driving, so how to claim insurance if something happen when she drives? 

Point 6. Manage Expectation

Be pragmatic. 

Used cars may have heavily used leather seats creases, smell from ciggies, vomit, drinks, odour from aircon, cracked dashboard, missing louvres, buttons, blown lights, spoilt car cam, rims and tires in poor wear condition, engine oil leaks, radiator cracked, shocks that creaks or makes car go up and down like sampan. 

There usually is a good reason why a car is sold and sometimes, its due to a repair that's needed but may be too expensive for previous owner to want to spend.

Kicking the problem to the next unlucky owner per se. 

Cosmetic wear n tear are not as critical as those that affects car engines, gearboxes, suspension, aircon compressor, brake system. Accident cars may not be repaired properly and an experienced driver/mechanic can pinpoint the section of car impacted.

Basically bigger ticket items. 

That is why a car inspection with AA is encouraged. 

You need to put aside minimum $2-5k for the issues that will surface sooner or later.

Insurance. 

Add your wife's name as co-insured or 2nd driver in policy. Claims will be per usual as she is deemed authorised to drive the car. 

Hope these helps. 

Its a big financial outlay. Do take time to test drive a few cars. 

1. Used cars are aplenty. It is not the only car. You always have a choice. 

2. Whatever is agreed upon, make sure its in black n white. You dun wan a "I thought you said, he thought you said, I think you said, he think you know, I dun know, you should know, he never know, how can you forget, you promised, no, I did not blah blah blah" situation. 

3. Pls ensure car is transferred to you on the spot upon full payment. Its a few minutes task these days. V efficient. 

If a car fits the bill like its destined for you, I am happy for you. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 10

53 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Point 6. Manage Expectation

Be pragmatic. 

Used cars may have heavily used leather seats creases, smell from ciggies, vomit, drinks, odour from aircon, cracked dashboard, missing louvres, buttons, blown lights, spoilt car cam, rims and tires in poor wear condition, engine oil leaks, radiator cracked, shocks that creaks or makes car go up and down like sampan. 

There usually is a good reason why a car is sold and sometimes, its due to a repair that's needed but may be too expensive for previous owner to want to spend.

Kicking the problem to the next unlucky owner per se. 

Cosmetic wear n tear are not as critical as those that affects car engines, gearboxes, suspension, aircon compressor, brake system. Accident cars may not be repaired properly and an experienced driver/mechanic can pinpoint the section of car impacted.

Basically bigger ticket items. 

That is why a car inspection with AA is encouraged. 

You need to put aside minimum $2-5k for the issues that will surface sooner or later.

Insurance. 

Add your wife's name as co-insured or 2nd driver in policy. Claims will be per usual as she is deemed authorised to drive the car. 

Hope these helps. 

Its a big financial outlay. Do take time to test drive a few cars. 

1. Used cars are aplenty. It is not the only car. You always have a choice. 

2. Whatever is agreed upon, make sure its in black n white. You dun wan a "I thought you said, he thought you said, I think you said, he think you know, I dun know, you should know, he never know, how can you forget, you promised, no, I did not blah blah blah" situation. 

3. Pls ensure car is transferred to you on the spot upon full payment. Its a few minutes task these days. V efficient. 

If a car fits the bill like its destined for you, I am happy for you. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Thanks for the tips.

Think dealer will do something about it if its that chui if not cannot sell right? Or seller will do it up to fetch better price if not dealer also will not take it such chui car.

Forking out 2 to 5k to do up a coe car is still cheap getting a parf car??

Another thing, how much is expected to top up on top of the listed price in sgcm? Or there room for nego down? How much down on average?

5 hours ago, Eklips said:

Another thing, how much is expected to top up on top of the listed price in sgcm? Or there room for nego down? How much down on average?

down payment usually is 30% this one cannot run one. in terms of top up what do you mean? 

rule of time nego the advertised price with the dealer.  give a gauge of at least 2k reduced in price or if you can nego for more than this.

but normally if you can get 2k lower than advertised price is consider quite good already.

importantly u need to like the car after physical viewing. turn off audio when test drivei to listen to abnormal sound of vibration.

Then go for test drive. this is to some how also test the suspension system where does the car drive a boat.

Do not gie the dealer the impression that you super like this car and that this is the only car that you will want to buy as there are still many other same

model and brand cars avaiable. Take your time to choose.

Last but not least when everything more of least confirmed with the deal. Do not pay up the remaining balance unless the ownership if transfer

immediately on the spot when you collect the car.

Edited by StreamRSZ
  • Praise 1

5 hours ago, Eklips said:

Thanks for the tips.

Think dealer will do something about it if its that chui if not cannot sell right? Or seller will do it up to fetch better price if not dealer also will not take it such chui car.

Forking out 2 to 5k to do up a coe car is still cheap getting a parf car??

Not totally true. Some dealers hide flaws. Like washing the engine bay super clean to hide oil leaks. A clean shiny engine bay sometimes isn’t good. 
or some of the flaws they leave it and tell you after you buy, they will fix it. But quite some of them NEVER DO! They alibaba and fob you off and give excuses. 
so for me when I buy, I get a discount off the price or walk. 

2-5k won’t really go that far these days. 
tires $400-$500

suspension $1k

brakes $200-$500

all the fluid changes $300-$400
Aircon :$500-$2000, depending on what breaks. 

• Praise 3

Top up as in the the misc fees, or the adver price should include all the fees and nego for further discount for the wear and tear replacements.

2 hours ago, Eklips said:

Top up as in the the misc fees, or the adver price should include all the fees and nego for further discount for the wear and tear replacements.

It really depends on how greedy the dealer is and how desperate you are. 

1. Some patterns from dealers include viewing fee, car test fee, admin fee, loan fee etc. 

2. If you no poker face and excited as a kid, pay all fees and go away very happy. 😂

3. It can be difficult to gauge cos it's a complex situation of guessing whether the dealer will be just as desperate, sometimes, like who will blink first type of game. 

As a "common rule", dun pay  viewing fees, test drive fees and no deposit while loan application is in process. 

Some have had their deposit not returned upon no loan approval cos no black n white to say so.

Or worse, deposit deducted for all sort of fees ie as good as gone and you can't negotiate. You can't get back either cos loan approved liao. 

Most dealers have actually factored in an amount as discount. Eg. $54,800 they gib u $800 discount if you ask. Oh, they like very cham gib $500 first then say u so nice or first time buyer, gib $800. You happy as a duck then 😅

Just neg to an amount u are comfortable with. Be happy and enjoy the ride. Dun come kpkb how u paid $xxxx more AFTER signing or collection of ride. Or what faults it came with, you have had an opportunity to send for inspection or a trusted mechanic to check it out. 

End of the day, really skilled ones who knows abit on the background of certain car model or know their boss can tell the dealer to look for a large field to fly a big kite. 

Some common sense lessons along the way of car ownership are be alert and dun be gullible. Money is yours and hard earned. Be happy spending it.

Go test drive and again, enjoy your shopping. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 2

11 hours ago, Eklips said:

i think best you look at ultimate price you have to pay, instead of how much off ..

a dealer who lists a car at $57,000 but let you have $5,000 off vs a dealer who lists a car at $52,000 but wont budge on price ..

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Eklips said:

I have noticed alot of elantra go for 5 Yr renew coe instead of 10 ur renew where depre will be lower????

Seems like math is not your forte. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Kudos man @PSP415so helpful for the tips thumbs up wow very exhaustive!

Well @Eklips I was a first time car buyer, I read all this and thousands of forum pages liao also still really know how to do a proper check... So what I did was buy brand new louya car.

The depre was $100-200 more than the 1-3 year old of the same model.

If the COE wasn't on a rampage I would say rent the same model for a few months so u get acquainted with how the car handles and then hopefully u can pick up issues during test drive... But now it seems to act earlier than later!

• Praise 1

One thing i like to add is to accept that the odometer has been tampered with already. Especially if it hadn't been fully serviced at authorised dealer.

Dont buy all the lady teacher or 3rd family car low mileage nonsense...

Just prepare a warchest of a few thousand for major repairs, especially if its a COE car...

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

Kudos man @PSP415so helpful for the tips thumbs up wow very exhaustive!

Well @Eklips I was a first time car buyer, I read all this and thousands of forum pages liao also still really know how to do a proper check... So what I did was buy brand new louya car.

The depre was $100-200 more than the 1-3 year old of the same model.

If the COE wasn't on a rampage I would say rent the same model for a few months so u get acquainted with how the car handles and then hopefully u can pick up issues during test drive... But now it seems to act earlier than later!

Ya lo. As coe quota reduce, coe will continue to raise further and used car price will follow.