First time buyer looking to buy Avante / Elantra / Vios / Shuttle

Eklips

1 hour ago, Eklips said:

i will like to seek some advise and comments on the below 2 avante, both about 2yrs + old, direct owner.

https://carousell.app.link/JpezVEi4Pnb

https://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=969834

reasonable price?

Can I suggest you test drive both cars. Depreciation close, like bros. 

1. Check if accident free. Both silent on this. 

2. If low mileage, why need change 4 new tires so fast? OK, can be nails got into all 4 same time or just want to upsize rims so tires need to change. While at it, check out seats condition and suspension, press down hard once at bonnet n boot cover, see got aiyo sampan song anot. 

3. One claim low mileage due to wfm and the other cos its a resale. 😅

4. Some, not all, direct owner sales are actually car dealers in poor disguise. 

Good luck.

Dun wan to be pressured, dun bring checkbook and bring the spare phone that no have paylah, paynow, paytomorrow, paynextyear apps. Anything that looks like cash, dun bring out.

Oh, make sure spare phone got TraceTogether ah. 

My thoughts. What may be reasonable price may become unreasonable if you find need to do alot of things to get ride well. Can't tell from photos and cartainly can't trust write-up. 

Tedious? Nah, just being cautions to rein in excitement. It's good practice. Do homework first to save money and headache later. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

17 hours ago, Eklips said:

I have noticed alot of elantra go for 5 Yr renew coe instead of 10 ur renew where depre will be lower????

typically a 10year coe will have lower depre vs 5yr. but of course 5yr cars have a lower quantum.

go see more cars, that way you learn the specs and can compare between the cars to know what you are getting. dont be like the other chap who bought the GLB, who then KPKB about being "mislead".

also use depreciation and a lesser extent, the residual paper.  it is the best way monetary wise to see if you are getting a good deal.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

typically a 10year coe will have lower depre vs 5yr. but of course 5yr cars have a lower quantum.

go see more cars, that way you learn the specs and can compare between the cars to know what you are getting. dont be like the other chap who bought the GLB, who then KPKB about being "mislead".

also use depreciation and a lesser extent, the residual paper.  it is the best way monetary wise to see if you are getting a good deal.

Im curious why did dealer chose to renew 5 yr. For fast sale due to lower quantum?

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Can I suggest you test drive both cars. Depreciation close, like bros. 

1. Check if accident free. Both silent on this. 

2. If low mileage, why need change 4 new tires so fast? OK, can be nails got into all 4 same time or just want to upsize rims so tires need to change. While at it, check out seats condition and suspension, press down hard once at bonnet n boot cover, see got aiyo sampan song anot. 

3. One claim low mileage due to wfm and the other cos its a resale. 😅

4. Some, not all, direct owner sales are actually car dealers in poor disguise. 

Good luck.

Dun wan to be pressured, dun bring checkbook and bring the spare phone that no have paylah, paynow, paytomorrow, paynextyear apps. Anything that looks like cash, dun bring out.

Oh, make sure spare phone got TraceTogether ah. 

My thoughts. What may be reasonable price may become unreasonable if you find need to do alot of things to get ride well. Can't tell from photos and cartainly can't trust write-up. 

Tedious? Nah, just being cautions to rein in excitement. It's good practice. Do homework first to save money and headache later. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

To your point 3.

I'm reserved on this. 2 yrs old 2 owner. Buy from resale and sell so soon.

Also I heard if sell within first 18mth will have heavy bank penalty if took bank loan???

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Eklips said:

i will like to seek some advise and comments on the below 2 avante, both about 2yrs + old, direct owner.

reasonable price?

assuming the mileage is correct, then the tires should be original from factory. tires should show the date code to be before the registration date. and the wear reflective of 15k km. but one of them claims new tires? weird.

the other thing is to check if ex PHV, then see if you can see any outline of the PHV decal on the windshield. also look at the left door if the wear around the door or left seat is much higher than the other seats.

• Praise 4

4 minutes ago, Eklips said:

Im curious why did dealer chose to renew 5 yr. For fast sale due to lower quantum?

yup. lower quantum. lower loan

2 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

assuming the mileage is correct, then the tires should be original from factory. tires should show the date code to be before the registration date. and the wear reflective of 15k km. but one of them claims new tires? weird.

the other thing is to check if ex PHV, then see if you can see any outline of the PHV decal on the windshield. also look at the left door if the wear around the door or left seat is much higher than the other seats.

A noob question, how to read the tire date code? I think i should Google it myself. =x

Tire wear of 15k? How to see?

Thanks for the tips on checking for signs of PHV.

3 minutes ago, Eklips said:

A noob question, how to read the tire date code? I think i should Google it myself. =x

Tire wear of 15k? How to see?

Thanks for the tips on checking for signs of PHV.

for 15k km. and Front wheel drive.

1. assume no tire rotation. then front tires would be somewhat worn and the rears should looks almost new

2. if rotation typically at 10k km, then you get the rear slightly more worn than the front. but still overall pretty new. with deep threads.

• Praise 2

As long as u dont buy vios i'm happy. I buy liao 1 week later regret big time want to sell liao =D The retarded weak side air cons, tiny storage spaces within the cabin and lack of knock down rear seats still irritate me to today...

With regards to mantaining, because it's a very stupid car, almost nothing to spoil. No fancy digital gauge cluster, no ADAS, no electronics almost at all..

Edited by yellowshaun
  • Haha! 5

11 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

As long as u dont buy vios i'm happy. I buy liao 1 week later regret big time want to sell liao =D The retarded weak side air cons, tiny storage spaces within the cabin and lack of knock down rear seats still irritate me to today...

With regards to mantaining, because it's a very stupid car, almost nothing to spoil. No fancy digital gauge cluster, no ADAS, no electronics almost at all..

You say vios until so bad?! Lol. Are you aware that vios was once a very poplar car sia, everyone would want to buy this car back then between 2004-2005.

• Praise 1

If buying 5 year COE car  must go in eyes open that COE  cannot be renewed  again in future and must be scrapped when time is up.

If you can afford it go for 10 year COE cars,10 year COE car have option of renewal again .

Think thrice before signing on the paper agreeing to buy the car no matter how persuasive and all the sales talk given by dealer.

Once signed all the  ninja taichi pattern will come out from the dealers if things go wrong normally...

Always insist on sending to AAS for inspection as it is more detailed than STA report which is more general and vague.

Edited by Confusedboi
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

You say vios until so bad?! Lol. Are you aware that vios was once a very poplar car sia, everyone would want to buy this car back then between 2004-2005.

HAHA dont worry my vios whatsapp group mostly agree that after the NCP93, the Vios all koyak liao...

• Haha! 2

3 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

Why regret  1 Week after getting your car? you didnt know the car has no fancy digital gauge cluster when you were viewing the car? You didnt know there was no knock down seats ? the sales guy didnt tell you that Vios was so stupid that it wouldn't spoil? I thought every car delaers would tell their customers that their car won't spoil? 🤣

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 5

5 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

HAHA dont worry my vios whatsapp group mostly agree that after the NCP93, the Vios all koyak liao...

I also own the NCP93 Vios.  It is a very simple point A to B car.  With proper maintenance, it is a very reliable car.  My Vios is still with me today.

• Praise 7

15 hours ago, Eklips said:

reasonable price?

If both condition about similar and both also accident free, the Carousell one seems to be a better deal. 
It has one less owner transfer count (assuming seller is first owner) and it’s a proper ‘S’ trim with higher OMV. The Carousell one also has higher Coe paid. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Soundphile said:

If both condition about similar and both also accident free, the Carousell one seems to be a better deal. 
It has one less owner transfer count (assuming seller is first owner) and it’s a proper ‘S’ trim with higher OMV. The Carousell one also has higher Coe paid. 

Can enlighten me what does hight omw and coe translate to?

High parf value/scrap value? 

Able to fetch higher price when trying to sell next time?

9 hours ago, 13177 said:

If you still think Vios is vfm in Singapore you are at least 10 years out of date.

Since Koreans up their game, Vios just looks like an expensive pile of crap. At its price better upgrade to Altis or go Korean.

Speaking as former Vios owner

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1