First time buyer looking to buy Avante / Elantra / Vios / Shuttle

Eklips

No choice if one wants to save money 😅

I will dump $4-6k at one go to a few workshops using first 2-3 weeks for preventive maintenance.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, awhtc said:

No choice if one wants to save money 😅

I will dump $4-6k at one go to a few workshops using first 2-3 weeks for preventive maintenance.

Yeah agree, it'll save some money down the road, at the expense of burning your own time. 

In the end, owning a car (new or used) is about time and money. 

Buy new, save time but spend more money. 

Buy used, save money but spend more time. 

Can't run away from this zero sum game. 

Buy new now for lesser headache.. but consider to sell it off in a couple of years if COE drop significantly.. then buy another new one..

20 hours ago, Eklips said:

After reading through numerous pages in MCF. My wife thinks that it's quite ok to buy brand new car at current high coe.

Next time will coe drop, still can fetch a good price and use it as DP for the next new car.

So now is seller market? More supply than demand?

Low coe = high demand = buyer market?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks 

PS planning to go test drive avante creato and PI shuttle.

I read the PI car not that good??

Do check whats the diff in depre for brand new versus 1-3 years old. When i bought it was about $100-200 difference cause of the insanely high mark up by used car dealers.

You can also narrow your search to used cars that have been fully serviced at the authorized dealer, so you can verify (with the seller's assistance) the accident and service record and mileage.

1 hour ago, yellowshaun said:

Do check whats the diff in depre for brand new versus 1-3 years old. When i bought it was about $100-200 difference cause of the insanely high mark up by used car dealers.

You can also narrow your search to used cars that have been fully serviced at the authorized dealer, so you can verify (with the seller's assistance) the accident and service record and mileage.

Noted. If diff is not much,maybe less than 1k, better go for brand new? Or used as the overall is lesser?

On 2/23/2022 at 3:01 PM, Eklips said:

@Comagehahahah. ya, im s totally New bird to this car buying thingy. 

Ya, currently looking at PARF car as wife preferred. Looking at 2 to 3 yr old car for a start with lesser problem.

If 2 to 3 years car , try to buy 1 owner  ,serviced by agent, under warranty type , pay a bit more but save you lots of trouble. 

Edited by Ct3833

Have narrowed down to avante and shuttle both around the same price of 110k. But shuttle is PI. since is PI and shuttle is 2019, is it worth the price? I thought PI pricing should be quite attractive. They do provide some freebies.

Ps anyone knows about Best motors pt ltd?they have ready stock. Can't find any reputable review online. Their workshop on optima werks. Servicing must to done by their workshop for warranty coverage.

Anyway any other PI to intro for shuttle?

Edited by Eklips

8 hours ago, Eklips said:

Noted. If diff is not much,maybe less than 1k, better go for brand new? Or used as the overall is lesser?

This is a financial decision that you and your wife have to make... Also both used and new car sometimes can nego, pricing is determined by your skill and camaraderie with the SE. :)

On 2/24/2022 at 8:22 AM, awhtc said:

My gut feel is 2023-2024 COE will be even higher.  Beyond 2024 there is good chance the COE prices could correct back to the $60-$80k territory but car prices may not fall back as much if more new taxes kick in or subsidies removed.  So it is still okay to buy a Cat A car if you need one.

PI who can still survive until today are quite strong.  General rule is not to place excessive deposit upon ordering and well before taking delivery.  I only placed $10k deposit for the COE bidding and full amount a few days before taking physical delivery after verifying the car is in Singapore and cleared LTA paper work.

2023-2024 might have a larger supply of coes given that many cars were renewed for 5years during the lows of 2018-2019

1 hour ago, yellowshaun said:

This is a financial decision that you and your wife have to make... Also both used and new car sometimes can nego, pricing is determined by your skill and camaraderie with the SE. 🙂

Thanks. Shall go calculate on the savings from the depre difference and price listed difference over period of 10 yrs or until the plan to sell the car. 

On 2/25/2022 at 3:12 AM, Eklips said:

Have narrowed down to avante and shuttle both around the same price of 110k. But shuttle is PI. since is PI and shuttle is 2019, is it worth the price? I thought PI pricing should be quite attractive. They do provide some freebies.

Ps anyone knows about Best motors pt ltd?they have ready stock. Can't find any reputable review online. Their workshop on optima werks. Servicing must to done by their workshop for warranty coverage.

Anyway any other PI to intro for shuttle?

If it is a 2nd hand car, the PI does not matter as the delivery of car and transfer of ownership are immediate (make sure they are done on the spot).  Do check that there are no hidden charges.

What matters are ensuring that the Shuttle has not been used for PHV by looking out for signs of wear and tear at e.g. front and rear passenger seats, suspension and PHV decal marks.

You should set aside $1-2k to recondition the suspension and engine for a start if the (true) mileage is more than 90k.

On the other hand, $110k is a bit high to me.  A brand new Vios is just a few k more and it is a new car with 10 years COE and warranty.  I would go for a Vios rather than a 2 years+ old Shuttle if you do not need the Shuttle boot space.

22 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

2023-2024 might have a larger supply of coes given that many cars were renewed for 5years during the lows of 2018-2019

Based on the LTA's statistics of COE revalidation and age distribution of cars, I think that the COE supply will only start to resume gradually around 2024 but I won't place too much faith on lower COE prices then.

1 hour ago, awhtc said:

If it is a 2nd hand car, the PI does not matter as the delivery of car and transfer of ownership are immediate (make sure they are done on the spot).  Do check that there are no hidden charges.

What matters are ensuring that the Shuttle has not been used for PHV by looking out for signs of wear and tear at e.g. front and rear passenger seats, suspension and PHV decal marks.

You should set aside $1-2k to recondition the suspension and engine for a start if the (true) mileage is more than 90k.

On the other hand, $110k is a bit high to me.  A brand new Vios is just a few k more and it is a new car with 10 years COE and warranty.  I would go for a Vios rather than a 2 years+ old Shuttle if you do not need the Shuttle boot space.

Hi, I think u may have misinterpreted.

I meant that the shuttle is 2019 as there is no 2021 model. So im comparing the technology between a 2021 avante and a 2019 shuttle for the same price.

The PI has ready stock.

Anyways thanks for the tips on looking out for phv and suspension. 

6 minutes ago, Eklips said:

Hi, I think u may have misinterpreted.

I meant that the shuttle is 2019 as there is no 2021 model. So im comparing the technology between a 2021 avante and a 2019 shuttle for the same price.

The PI has ready stock.

Anyways thanks for the tips on looking out for phv and suspension. 

If new, then the Shuttle is definitely worth more than the Vios.

Shuttle is uncle looking.  I'm not too familiar with Korean cars but the new Avante is more sports looking.

If you like to bring kids around, then Shuttle is useful due to the huge boot.  If not, Avante seems better if prices are comparable.

↡ Advertisement