Smoking will be banned at some parks, beaches, gardens from July onwards

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Bad news for smokers

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/smoking-banned-more-places-beaches-parks-water-sites-2544736

SINGAPORE: From Jul 1, Singapore will ban smoking at three new types of premises, although enforcement will only start in October to give smokers time to adjust.

Smoking will be prohibited at all public parks and gardens managed by the National Parks Board (NParks), PUB’s Active, Beautiful, Clean Waters (ABC Waters) sites, and 10 recreational beaches, said the Ministry of Sustainability and the Environment (MSE), Sentosa Development Corp (SDC) and several statutory boards in a joint release issued on Monday (Mar 7).

Together, they cover about 100 sites such as Raffles Place Park, East Coast Beach and Tanjong Beach, joining a list of more than 49,000 places where smoking is banned. These include entertainment outlets, shopping malls, bus stops and common areas in residential buildings.

The extension of the smoking prohibition is part of Singapore’s efforts to clamp down on smoking and tackle second-hand tobacco smoke, the authorities said.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 5

I thought there will be suicide smoking cubicles. Have any of you seen one yet? 

Put them in the parks lah.

colin-s-21.jpg

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/first-smoking-cabin-launched-to-counter-secondhand-smoke-in-singapore

SINGAPORE - A cabin for smokers that converts cigarette smoke into clean air, the first in Singapore, has been installed outside Fusionopolis in the one-north area.

The air-conditioned Smoking Cabin SG, which was launched on Tuesday (May 21), is aimed at tackling the issue of second-hand cigarette smoke in Singapore.

• Haha! 5

Hopeless laws that won't be enforced one lah..... Like littering. 

Anyway it is a start. Maybe one day smokers will be allowed to smoke only in the sea. I will vote for the party promising that. Even if it starts with "P". 

• Haha! 10

(edited)

@Volvobrick 

12 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Anyway it is a start. Maybe one day smokers will be allowed to smoke only in the sea. I will vote for the party promising that. Even if it starts with "P". 

Let me guess.... PSP? 😇

Edited by Old-driver
  • Haha! 9

12 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Before COVID19, NEA always go CBD and Orchard Road.

My fren was fined for smoking outside the box.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Support...

When are they going to banned smoking on own balcony, window that caused 2nd hand smoke that affect floors above. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

I am not against smoking.

I hope more smokers can close all windows and smoke in their own home, swallow every bit of it and enjoy the good stuff all by themselves. They paid so much for the sticks, why should they share.

Really, I am not against smoking.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 12

Many smokers in my flat use stairwell to smoke. Only after Covid and I start using the stairs i discover how many cigarette bottle (ash tray) can be place in one flight of stair

• Haha! 1

While they are at it, should also ban smoking while walking / moving. 

But than again, they can come up with 100 and 1 law, but with no proper enforcement, no meaning. 

• Praise 4

To that joker who propose banning BBT, why not stand firm to suggest banning tobacco products in Singapore?! Smoking or drinking BBT, which is more harmful? (btw, smoking is not just an health issue but environmental pollutant as well) 

I don't like to sound like a P*P basher but all these BS is just about tax $$$. If Singapore can ban opium in the mid 20th century, why can't the same be done for tobacco? Yes I am non-smoker (and non BBT drinker as well). 

• Praise 9

8 hours ago, yishunite said:

Many smokers in my flat use stairwell to smoke. Only after Covid and I start using the stairs i discover how many cigarette bottle (ash tray) can be place in one flight of stair

So considerate! Most farkers would just litter the place with the cigarette butts.

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

They don't smoke, so now they vape?

Isn't it indirectly asking all the smuggler to smuggle more?

Vape has a lot of crap.

IQOS ftw

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

To that joker who propose banning BBT, why not stand firm to suggest banning tobacco products in Singapore?! Smoking or drinking BBT, which is more harmful? (btw, smoking is not just an health issue but environmental pollutant as well) 

I don't like to sound like a P*P basher but all these BS is just about tax $$$. If Singapore can ban opium in the mid 20th century, why can't the same be done for tobacco? Yes I am non-smoker (and non BBT drinker as well). 

Bro, its All 'Bout The Money (https://tenor.com/bku06.gif). BBT doesn't bring in a fraction of the $$ that tobacco brings in. So there you go..

• Praise 1

In 2020, tax collected from ciggy is $1.45bn.

Meanwhile, GST collected is $11.2bn.

Ban ciggy = increase in GST?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4