Make sense to downgrade my car to Cat A now?

clickb8

I bought Cat E car at 33k COE in 2018 (Cat A was 25k at the time), does it make sense to downgrade from Cat B to Cat A car now?

Cat E is now 98k while Cat A is now 68k, so the price gap has grown from 7k in 2018 to 30k now.

Does this mean I make 23k profit (before adjusting for COE depreciation)?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Don’t itchy backside. 

Keep and drive on.

Unless you don’t need to take a loan, then it tells me minor expenses like a car purchase are insignificant in your net worth balance sheet.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

(edited)

Understood. The reason I’m asking is also that my family has become bigger so I’m tempted to switch from my current sedan to a Cat A mini MPV (Sienta or Freed). My depreciation will remain about the same and since I’m getting a new 10-year COE, I get to lock in this depreciation rate for a longer period. Also the Cat A car is more fuel efficient, I could probably save $1.5k in petrol + road tax a year based on current fuel prices. Does that make more sense now?

Edited by clickb8
  • Praise 2

45 minutes ago, clickb8 said:

I bought Cat E car at 33k COE in 2018 (Cat A was 25k at the time), does it make sense to downgrade from Cat B to Cat A car now?

Cat E is now 98k while Cat A is now 68k, so the price gap has grown from 7k in 2018 to 30k now.

If you used a Cat E for a Cat B premium car, then maybe it is worth to change to a Cat A car now,  but you still have to do your sum.  But if you use  Cat E for  Cat A car , then save your breath, you won't gain much. 

• Praise 2

54 minutes ago, clickb8 said:

@clickb8 

You are indeed very smart. Don't wait any further. Now is the best time to downgrade to Cat A car now. 

Walk into any showroom and ask the honest SE. They will tell you Now is the best time to get a Cat A car. 

You will save $$$ on petrol, road tax, insurance etc............you will make much more than 23k profit!

Life is short, so just YOLO. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 11

He is trolling. But if u have good family reasons to change then you may have no choice anyway. Maybe if you swap 2nd hand for 2nd hand you might get the best deal if ur car is a popular model

• Praise 2

@yishunite yep I think I have to change for family reasons sometime down the road. There isn’t an urgent need to do so right now (still only 1 kid), but the large price gap between Cat A and Cat B/E got me tempted and I wonder if this is the best time. I’m a first time car owner and haven’t changed to a second car before, so wondering if downgrading from Cat B/E to A during large price gap is a good strategy generally speaking.

2 minutes ago, clickb8 said:

@yishunite yep I think I have to change for family reasons sometime down the road. There isn’t an urgent need to do so right now (still only 1 kid), but the large price gap between Cat A and Cat B/E got me tempted and I wonder if this is the best time. I’m a first time car owner and haven’t changed to a second car before, so wondering if downgrading from Cat B/E to A during large price gap is a good strategy generally speaking.

In that case enjoy your car while it lasts lol... coz it will be a long time before u ever get back hahahaha

• Haha! 1

57 minutes ago, Mahjong74 said:

@clickb8 

You are indeed very smart. Don't wait any further. Now is the best time to downgrade to Cat A car now. 

Walk into any showroom and ask the honest SE. They will tell you Now is the best time to get a Cat A car. 

You will save $$$ on petrol, road tax, insurance etc............you will make much more than 23k profit!

Life is short, so just YOLO. 

I swear to Dog, I thought you were @Jamesc😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 9

24 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I swear to Dog, I thought you were @Jamesc😁

I completely agree with you

as always because great minds think alike.

I also can see the genius in @mahjong1974 reply.

I would have posted exactly the same reply - not one word changed.

:D

• Haha! 8

A username like @mahjong1974 can only be a sincere poster

who loves mahjong and born in 1974.

However a nick like @clickb8 is as @BabyBlade

has already pointed out the perfect nick for a troll.

I am not saying clickb8 is a troll at all

just that its a perfect nick for a troll.

• Haha! 7

Internal Moderator
50 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

A username like @mahjong1974 can only be a sincere poster

who loves mahjong and born in 1974.

However a nick like @clickb8 is as @BabyBlade

has already pointed out the perfect nick for a troll.

I am not saying clickb8 is a troll at all

just that its a perfect nick for a troll.

Ok zip!

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Ok zip!

Ok unzip! 😂😂😂

Sorry, I just couldn't resist, but you walked into that one. 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1