Sheng Siong CEO Wakes Up Early To Man Pork Counter At Supermarket

Fitvip

3 hours ago, Fitvip said:

@Rayleigh They also give bonus to their temp staff, which is unheard of!

As for hiring culture, I don't what/how is theirs. The basic principle should be those who can contribute to the company. Their are not running a welfare org or so called social enterprise! Even social enterprises are looking for contributors!

I did come across Viet cashiers at their one of their stores, so did NTUC.

I default use self check out counter when i go to fairprice, so dont know what cashiers they have now? Lol.

↡ Advertisement

18 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Can't wait to see Mdm Ho drive grab... 

BUT I wouldn't want to take cos my life is priceless. Don't wish to receive prayer from all of you every 7th month ... 👻👻

Bro, you are too kind. Why must she be driving and putting you and others at risk? Why she get to enjoy cool air from the aircon while other Grab delivery personnel have to expose to rain and shine? Why not get her to do this and let her experienced the fear of getting hit by vehicle or pin under king kong lorry??

lwx_grabfood_160419_91.jpg

20191203_grabfoodrider.jpg

• Praise 5

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Freeder said:

Stark diff between a hands on CEO & Highly Educated CEO …

one talk about strategy, one talk about execution. :grin:

4 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

The act of SS willing to give even his general staff up to 5 months of bonus speaks volume of the company culture. How many companies in SG are willing to give 5 months to their lowest rank worker? 

Yup very true. 

I don't mind when SS give more dividends too🤣🤣.

4 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Chio right? 😁

That’s why you noticed.

Usually the longest cashier queue... Mainly man like to queue up. Most buy single basket item😜🤣🤣

• Haha! 4

5 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Usually the longest cashier queue... Mainly man like to queue up. Most buy single basket item😜🤣🤣

Speaking from experience huh... :XD:

Some quite chio. :wub:

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Atonchia said:

Ok now i know to pick long queue, so long that cannot see the cashier [laugh]

It's actually an ingenious way to prevent theft, namely

• The employee pack and key-in the stuff (to prevent customer theft/under-billing); and 
  • The customer DIY-pay at self-automated station (to prevent employee theft).

Wouldn't say that this is a first, as some developing countries are doing that. Guess that NTUC has more trust with the customers.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Icu said:

• The employee pack and key-in the stuff (to prevent customer theft/under-billing); and 

Wouldn't say that this is a first, as some developing countries are doing that. Guess that NTUC has more trust with the customers.

True, you never find self check out counter at SS, even self weight counter also dont have and needs to staff to weight the veggies for you and need to seal the plastic bag then counted.

There was once when i was at one ulu SS, bought some potatoes and the weighing counter no staff and no bell, cannot find any staff at all, so i managed to DIY and printed out the price tag and did not seal up the plastic bag, then when i was at the cashier paying, maybe the cashier saw the pack is not sealed and she took the potatoes to the weighting counter to re weight and print out another price tag and sealed the bag. 😅

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Icu said:

Another way to see it, is that Fairprice make enough profit to cover any loss from theft.:D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

4 hours ago, 13177 said:

True, you never find self check out counter at SS, even self weight counter also dont have and needs to staff to weight the veggies for you and need to seal the plastic bag then counted.

There was once when i was at one ulu SS, bought some potatoes and the weighing counter no staff and no bell, cannot find any staff at all, so i managed to DIY and printed out the price tag and did not seal up the plastic bag, then when i was at the cashier paying, maybe the cashier saw the pack is not sealed and she took the potatoes to the weighting counter to re weight and print out another price tag and sealed the bag. 😅

Some will say it has to do with your outlook. NOT I say one hor... :D  :D 

I go weigh my stuff at SS and the auntie said thank you to me. My wife said I auntie killer (that is not a compliment but trying to swan me hor)

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 4

9 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Some will say it has to do with your outlook. NOT I say one hor... :D  :D 

I go weigh my stuff at SS and the auntie said thank you to me. My wife said I auntie killer (that is not a compliment but trying to swan me hor)

Ya la, many times got to do with outlook, but this one nothing i can do to change and help with it lo. [:|] [:p]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

6 hours ago, Icu said:

Maybe already accounted for the losses from it's pricing strategy and have support from the suppliers. 

SS pay quite a lot to staff bonus😅😅.

Must ensure pilferage is minimised. 

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 1

14 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

The act of SS willing to give even his general staff up to 5 months of bonus speaks volume of the company culture. How many companies in SG are willing to give 5 months to their lowest rank worker? 

Did you know he actually sold off a portion of his own shares and gave it to his staff, majority gotten a year bonus, some gotten 6mths.

Their IPO started at $0.20.

Can't remember at what price he sold off that portion. Should be just below a $0.80 mark.

He shared that being a public listed company the bonus will not be as robust as before because SS will no longer be a family own company because it went public and need to be accountable for shareholders dividends.

That was the effort he went to for the staff. 

He was the same one who stayed in the warehouse, drive a COE car.

His Limousine was given to him by his younger brother. Because most of his income went back to the staff.

But then now at national level....

Hiring practice cannot have discrimination (if any) because the feedback I received was only from a couple of beneficiary for grocery delivery. 

Their POV can be misconstrued.

And it could be shared across their network of peers and social group and family. 

So my take is SS should start to diversify their hiring practices to dispel such rumours.

(There probably has a small group thinking they have been marginalised )

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 4

@Atonchia 

20 hours ago, Atonchia said:

But then now at national level....

Hiring practice cannot have discrimination (if any) because the feedback I received was only from a couple of beneficiary for grocery delivery. 

Their POV can be misconstrued.

And it could be shared across their network of peers and social group and family. 

So my take is SS should start to diversify their hiring practices to dispel such rumours.

(There probably has a small group thinking they have been marginalised )

It may not be the organization intent. From what i know, the boss is a very strong supporter of PAP. Perhaps, the cause could be the HR/Hiring Manager. Hiring people from the same origin?

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Rayleigh said:

@Atonchia 

It may not be the organization intent. From what i know, the boss is a very strong supporter of PAP. Perhaps, the cause could be the HR/Hiring Manager. Hiring people from the same origin?

Possibly so.

Unless HR department emphasize diversity and remind hiring manager to hire by meritocracy, it's always easy to hire someone with same culture, language and background. 

if candidates are through referrals that will also limit the pool of contact.

It had happened in many MNC as well.