9 month pregnant Lady loses baby while waiting at A/E

Thaiyotakamli

23 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I used to wait 3 months for Liver CT scan at SGH

Yup my mother waiting for CT at NUH for 3 months so end up go private and within 1 week do tumour removal surgery

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 2

2 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Is the couple gynae based in NUH?

Why go NUH when it's so close to EDD if it's not where the gynae is based?

Shouldn't they be at the gynae hospital?

Bleeding before birth sounds like placenta abruption. Meaning the placenta detached before the foetus is born, depriving the foetus of oxygenated blood from mum. 

If baby is already born then will be able to breath on its own or have supplement oxygen in NICU.

Every minute lost due to placenta abruption brings the foetus to fatality.

If gynae is based there.

Then what was the doctor doing or not doing?

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 10
  • Shocked 1

As tragic as it is, by the time the pregnant mother bled, the baby may have been gone.

We would never know. 

I personally had a friend who was happily expecting their full term child, only for him to be stillborn days before EDD.

They had already a name for him.

A baby crib and all the things parents are told they would need to prepare for the new arrival.

Its heartbreaking but sometimes that's life. 

When my kid was on the way, I kept repressing overt expectations, knowing it could all be taken away in an instant.

Even when the kid is out, I never stop worrying. 

I guess that's part of being a parent?

(By the way, I think the title of the thread is misleading and alleges that NUH is at fault. It suggests she was fine before she entered A&E but she was already bleeding upon admission.)

Edited by Macrosszero
To correct the misleading title.
  • Praise 10
  • Sad 9

12 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Is the couple gynae based in NUH?

Why go NUH when it's so close to EDD if it's not where the gynae is based?

Shouldn't they be at the gynae hospital?

Bleeding before birth sounds like placenta abruption. Meaning the placenta detached before the foetus is born, depriving the foetus of oxygenated blood from mum. 

If baby is already born then will be able to breath on its own or have supplement oxygen in NICU.

Every minute lost due to placenta abruption brings the foetus to fatality.

Precisely. Must read the details.

Apparently she was bleeding upon reaching A&E. Imo nothing to do with hospital protocol but more so appeared negligent on the A&E. No A&E would leave a patient bleeding wait in the foyers. 

Public hospital probably don't has delegated gynae per patient?

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 3

19 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Precisely. Must read the details.

Apparently she was bleeding upon reaching A&E. Imo nothing to do with hospital protocol but more so appeared negligent on the A&E. No A&E would leave a patient bleeding wait in the foyers. 

Public hospital probably don't has delegated gynae per patient?

There could be more hidden details. But I don't think normal A and E has standby gynae. Maybe KK would have.

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Any healthcare personal here in NUH? :TT_TT:

Don't cause a fellow MCFer to potentially kena disciplinary actions hor.... 

• Praise 3

8 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Any healthcare personal here in NUH? :TT_TT:

Customer can? 

To address some points.

Yes, NUH has a maternity ward

Yes ambulances will send patients to the nearest hospital 

Expecting mothers who are planning to deliver are told to get themselves to NUH if their water bag breaks

They should also call their NUH-based gynae if there is anything abnormal, we got a card from ours, to call in case of emergency

I don't want to say whether there has been a lapse or not either because sh!t happens. Keep in mind COVID-19 has been loading the healthcare system badly.

I just really feel for the parents. 

BRB, going to hug my kid now. 

• Praise 10

2 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

As tragic as it is, by the time the pregnant mother bled, the baby may have been gone.

We would never know. 

I personally had a friend who was happily expecting their full term child, only for him to be stillborn days before EDD.

They had already a name for him.

A baby crib and all the things parents are told they would need to prepare for the new arrival.

Its heartbreaking but sometimes that's life. 

When my kid was on the way, I kept repressing overt expectations, knowing it could all be taken away in an instant.

Even when the kid is out, I never stop worrying. 

I guess that's part of being a parent?

(By the way, I think the title of the thread is misleading and alleges that NUH is at fault. It suggests she was fine before she entered A&E but she was already bleeding upon admission.)

Antepartum haemorrhage is an obstetric emergency. Leaving the woman alone and monitoring her vital signs alone is not sufficient. You need very quick assessment by an O&G doctor, or at least an experienced midwife. Apart from a history and physical exam, an ultrasound and a CTG (Cardiotocograph) to monitor uterine activity and fetal heartrate are all pretty much mandatory. The woman might need an urgent delivery, possibly by emergency Caesarian section.

This is all basic stuff. If the story is not significantly embellished, then there is a potential negligence lawsuit here. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 18
  • Shocked 1

22 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

They should go KKH or Mount Alvernia Hospital once they see too many patients at NUH.

Where got time to go here and there?

This is an emergency 

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Where got time to go here and there?

This is an emergency 

Wait 2 hours for emergency?

In the first place should go to a maternity hospital like KKH. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged

For such emergencies should one call 995 for ambulance?  Ambulance will bring to the nearest public hospital, which may not be where the gynae is...

• Praise 2

7 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Antepartum haemorrhage is an obstetric emergency. Leaving the woman alone and monitoring her vital signs alone is not sufficient. You need very quick assessment by an O&G doctor, or at least an experienced midwife. Apart from a history and physical exam, an ultrasound and a CTG (Cardiotocograph) to monitor uterine activity and fetal heartrate are all pretty much mandatory. The woman might need an urgent delivery, possibly by emergency Caesarian section.

This is all basic stuff. If the story is not significantly embellished, then there is a potential negligence lawsuit here. 

Great professional’s point of view - so even if the baby was already gone by then, the correct triage procedures should have kicked in and as I mentioned, there is a maternity ward nearby and likely more experienced personnel on hand that could be called upon.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3