S’pore May Use Nuclear Energy By 2050, Cites Improvements In Safety & Reliability

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Spore-May-Use-Nuclear-Energy-By-2050-Cit

Source: https://mustsharenews.com/singapore-nuclear-energy-2050/

Singapore Could Potentially Use Nuclear Energy By 2050

When the topic of nuclear energy gets brought up, some might instinctively think of the dangers associated with the alternate energy source.

However, nuclear energy can also be an efficient power source.

On Tuesday (22 Mar), the Energy 2050 Committee published a report showing that Singapore could tap into nuclear energy in the coming decades.

With recent advancements, nuclear technology has apparently become safer and more reliable. However, more research and development are needed to determine if it’s indeed viable for Singapore.

Nuclear energy could supply 10% of Singapore’s needs by 2050

According to The Straits Times (ST), a report commissioned by the Energy Market Authority (EMA) concluded that about 10% of Singapore’s energy demand could be supplied by nuclear energy by 2050.

While Singaporeans might understandably be worried about nuclear energy, the Energy 2050 Committee said advancements in the field have made the alternative power source safer than before.

The report projected 3 uncertain geopolitical scenarios in 2050:

Screenshot-2022-03-22-at-3.55.17-PM.png

• Clean Energy Renaissance
  • Climate Action Bloc
  • Emergent Technology Trailblazer

S’pore can determine if nuclear energy is viable by 2040s

In the 3rd scenario, the world is fragmented and technology advancements will delay but eventually arrive.

Singapore will be able to deploy low-carbon alternatives, such as nuclear energy, into its energy mix.

Screenshot-2022-03-22-at-3.34.25-PM.png

The report stated that a fragmented geopolitical situation means that countries would find it harder to collaborate and achieve their climate targets. This would limit electricity imports in Singapore’s energy mix.

This is as opposed to the other 2 scenarios, where electricity imports would contribute a significant portion of Singapore’s energy needs.

• Scenario 1: Clean Energy Renaissance

Screenshot-2022-03-22-at-3.51.58-PM.png

• Scenario 2: Climate Action Bloc

Screenshot-2022-03-22-at-3.52.06-PM.png

Nevertheless, in all 3 scenarios, electricity imports, hydrogen, solar, and energy storage systems will be important.

The Straits Times (ST) reported that in 2014, Singapore allocated $63 million to fund research and education in nuclear safety, engineering, and science.

By the 2040s, Singapore would likely be able to determine if nuclear energy is viable. If so, we can start developing domestic generation capacities.

Could contribute greatly to our climate efforts

Once associated with danger and volatility, we are glad that modern developments have made nuclear energy much safer and hopefully more viable.

While it might sound ambitious for Singapore to incorporate nuclear energy, it could contribute greatly to our nation’s climate efforts.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator

I dunno what this Energy 2050 Committee is smoking man. I do not wanna have a puff on that.

How are they going to treat the nuclear waste? Semakau landfill again?

Do our ITE, Polytechinic and NUS & NTU have sufficent expertise and upskilling to learn how a nuclear operate?

What if our neighbouring country don't like us. throw a grenade on the nuclear plant? Chic Ba Boom?

Keep the nuclear plant where? underground ah? hahha.

Why don't we whack consolidate our resources on solar and hydrogen? It will be inevitable to burn fuel also. But I am quite sure by 2050 there will be synthetic fuel for us to burn liao.

Nuclear? Don't want lah. I scare. hahaha.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I dunno what this Energy 2050 Committee is smoking man. I do not wanna have a puff on that.

How are they going to treat the nuclear waste? Semakau landfill again?

Do our ITE, Polytechinic and NUS & NTU have sufficent expertise and upskilling to learn how a nuclear operate?

What if our neighbouring country don't like us. throw a grenade on the nuclear plant? Chic Ba Boom?

Keep the nuclear plant where? underground ah? hahha.

Why don't we whack consolidate our resources on solar and hydrogen? It will be inevitable to burn fuel also. But I am quite sure by 2050 there will be synthetic fuel for us to burn liao.

Nuclear? Don't want lah. I scare. hahaha.

There is Nuclear Fusion and Nuclear Fission.

Nuclear Fission don’t have Nuclear waste.

• Praise 4

44 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Spore-May-Use-Nuclear-Energy-By-2050-Cit

Source: https://mustsharenews.com/singapore-nuclear-energy-2050/

Singapore Could Potentially Use Nuclear Energy By 2050

When the topic of nuclear energy gets brought up, some might instinctively think of the dangers associated with the alternate energy source.

However, nuclear energy can also be an efficient power source.

On Tuesday (22 Mar), the Energy 2050 Committee published a report showing that Singapore could tap into nuclear energy in the coming decades.

With recent advancements, nuclear technology has apparently become safer and more reliable. However, more research and development are needed to determine if it’s indeed viable for Singapore.

Nuclear energy could supply 10% of Singapore’s needs by 2050

According to The Straits Times (ST), a report commissioned by the Energy Market Authority (EMA) concluded that about 10% of Singapore’s energy demand could be supplied by nuclear energy by 2050.

While Singaporeans might understandably be worried about nuclear energy, the Energy 2050 Committee said advancements in the field have made the alternative power source safer than before.

The report projected 3 uncertain geopolitical scenarios in 2050:

Screenshot-2022-03-22-at-3.55.17-PM.png

• Clean Energy Renaissance
  • Climate Action Bloc
  • Emergent Technology Trailblazer

S’pore can determine if nuclear energy is viable by 2040s

In the 3rd scenario, the world is fragmented and technology advancements will delay but eventually arrive.

Singapore will be able to deploy low-carbon alternatives, such as nuclear energy, into its energy mix.

Screenshot-2022-03-22-at-3.34.25-PM.png

The report stated that a fragmented geopolitical situation means that countries would find it harder to collaborate and achieve their climate targets. This would limit electricity imports in Singapore’s energy mix.

This is as opposed to the other 2 scenarios, where electricity imports would contribute a significant portion of Singapore’s energy needs.

• Scenario 1: Clean Energy Renaissance

Screenshot-2022-03-22-at-3.51.58-PM.png

• Scenario 2: Climate Action Bloc

Screenshot-2022-03-22-at-3.52.06-PM.png

Nevertheless, in all 3 scenarios, electricity imports, hydrogen, solar, and energy storage systems will be important.

The Straits Times (ST) reported that in 2014, Singapore allocated $63 million to fund research and education in nuclear safety, engineering, and science.

By the 2040s, Singapore would likely be able to determine if nuclear energy is viable. If so, we can start developing domestic generation capacities.

Could contribute greatly to our climate efforts

Once associated with danger and volatility, we are glad that modern developments have made nuclear energy much safer and hopefully more viable.

While it might sound ambitious for Singapore to incorporate nuclear energy, it could contribute greatly to our nation’s climate efforts.

I'm fine with nuclear energy but where to build the reactor?

power-plant-towers-destruction-nuclear.g

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

3 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

I support 100%.

The sun is thermonuclear right.

:D

767050748_download(17).jpeg.c38c3b7acba97a8c88979db5d8de3f3e.jpeg

I'm very happy to hear you say that. 

Since you believe in the Sun so much. 

You can be the first man on the Sun. 

Don't worry. 

We'll send you there at night. 

😁

• Haha! 6

Internal Moderator
53 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

There is Nuclear Fusion and Nuclear Fission.

Nuclear Fission don’t have Nuclear waste.

Oh. I didn't know about this haha. Then fission is welcome.

Fusion, no-no.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
30 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

I'm fine with nuclear energy but where to build the reactor?

power-plant-towers-destruction-nuclear.g

Beside MBS. 🤣

They shifting Keppel port right? 😈

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Pedra Branca👍🏻

How about St James power station? hahahaha. Since it alrd used to be a power station. hehehehehe

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

How about St James power station? hahahaha. Since it alrd used to be a power station. hehehehehe

That 1 becomes Dyson liao

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

That 1 becomes Dyson liao

Aye! Idea! Ask dyson to build the neuclear reactor! :grin:

ho-dyson.gif

• Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Aye! Idea! Ask dyson to build the neuclear reactor! :grin:

ho-dyson.gif

Dyson is sucker la.

Cannot built Nuclear Reactor.

That 1 have to find ................

UK doesn't have.

• Haha! 1

25 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Oh. I didn't know about this haha. Then fission is welcome.

Fusion, no-no.

Think fusion is no waste. Fission is existing tech and more dangerous.

But nuclear is inevitable (and it will get safe enough to execute) unless ASEAN forms an energy grid. 

2 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

buy a piece of land in Australia outback and build it there and send it back. 

We could have done that 20 years back. 😁

but aust themself dun even have nuclear power plant for power😅

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Beside MBS. 🤣

They shifting Keppel port right? 😈

Haha, I'll be very happy if that's the spot :grin:

Guess not going to happen in a million years bro.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1