Foodpanda Delivers Via Drones In Sentosa, Food Arrives After 7-Min Flight

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Foodpanda-Delivers-Food-Via-Drones-In-Pi

Foodpanda Tries Out Drone Delivery For Takeouts In Sentosa

After ordering food online, the typical thing to do is wait for delivery riders to arrive at our doorsteps.

However, foodpanda has now opened up a different way of delivering our favourite snacks.

From now till 9 Apr, foodpanda will partner with ST Engineering and Sentosa Development Corporation (SDC) in a pilot programme. They will be using drones to transport food from selected eateries to trial participants.

foodpanda-delivers-food-in-drones.png

The programme’s success will then determine whether drone delivery can be a viable option for guests in Sentosa.

Foodpanda will deliver food via drones

According to SDC’s media release, ST Engineering, SDC and foodpanda are collaborating in a pilot programme to test the efficiency of drone delivery for takeaway.

sdc-st-engineering-and-foodpanda-teaming

Selected customers will purchase food via the foodpanda app from St John’s island.

Participating restaurants in Sentosa will then prepare the dishes. Foodpanda riders will transport the packaged items to a take-off point in Tanjong Beach.

tanjong-beach-drop-off-point-for-foodpan

Drones specially designed by ST Engineering will deliver the food to St John’s island. The flight will take approximately 7 minutes.

st-johns-island-delivery-point-for-foodp

The drones’ flight path will be far away from highly populated areas in Sentosa and Tanjong Beach to ensure safety.

Drone delivery may be expanded outside of food-delivering apps. This will depend on the cost of upkeeping the drones, the payment system and operational requirements.

Foodpanda using drones will open up options

The media release reports that Sentosa will be extending its gateway to other Southern islands and is looking to expand options for guests.

The drone delivery system will be one of these options, enabling guests to have a wider selection during their staycation at Sentosa’s resorts.

drone-delivery-for-foodpanda.png

Foodpanda has successfully conducted a trial on drone delivery before by transporting five packets of fried chicken to an offshore vessel.

drone-delivery-for-foodpanda-second-tria

This programme will be a continuation by foodpanda into the venture of drone delivery.

SDC also hopes to use drone delivery to support businesses coping with the pandemic, helping them to reach a broader base of customers.

Drones can help businesses reach a wider audience

Technology is constantly being adapted to help us in new and innovative ways in this modern era. Drone delivery is one of the many ways technology can improve our livelihoods.

Using drones to support suffering businesses is an innovative way of helping eateries recover from the pandemic.

Hopefully, this pilot programme will go a long way in improving the takeaway options available to us.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Internal Moderator

I think is a good initiative. however, whent the demand went up, the gabbage is an issue.

When more ppl order food, more waste is produced. then more worker need to be deployed to st john for the cleaning. Gotta be mindful of our gabage!

I visited St john island late last year, it is a beautiful island!

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

char kway teow $5, delivery fee $25  :D

I am not surprise if the delivery fee is $25. Cause even normal delivery fee for land delivery also not cheap. Thats why i can never order food delivery, as fishball noodles $4 but delivery fee $4, need to pay double for my fishball noodles, i rather go out to dabao. Lol.

But if no choice for this case in St John Island, even delivery fee is $25 also need to pay if want to eat.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 2

50 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

what if they capture it, and don't return the drone ?

maybe must put drone deposit first.

$1000 drone deposit. Lol.

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

I am not surprise if the delivery fee is $25. Cause even normal delivery fee for land delivery also not cheap. Thats why i can never order food delivery, as fishball noodles $4 but delivery fee $4, need to pay double for my fishball noodles, i rather go out to dabao. Lol.

But if no choice for this case in St John Island, even delivery fee is $25 also need to pay if want to eat.

Drive Musso into Sentosa to sell wan tan mee nao!!!

2D15E65A-CE7C-4AB7-B07B-A4B011E37341.jpeg

• Haha! 4

When the days come when anything can be delivered by drone, LTA may implement ERP for drones as well (since we already have GPS based ERP system) to prevent congestion in the air space. 

Our agencies better come up with some comprehensive plans to deal with drug peddlers, and other smuggling activities by "air". Cheap petrol from JB, anyone? 

ten-steps-to-developing-your-big-idea_10

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

15 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

When the days come when anything can be delivered by drone, LTA may implement ERP for drones as well (since we already have GPS based ERP system) to prevent congestion in the air space. 

Our agencies better come up with some comprehensive plans to deal with drug peddlers, and other smuggling activities by "air". Cheap petrol from JB, anyone? 

ten-steps-to-developing-your-big-idea_10

Last year, ppl already sent drug via drone from JB to Sg.

The recipient was caught 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I think is a good initiative. however, whent the demand went up, the gabbage is an issue.

When more ppl order food, more waste is produced. then more worker need to be deployed to st john for the cleaning. Gotta be mindful of our gabage!

I visited St john island late last year, it is a beautiful island!

Yeah, it's beautiful until food keeps dropping from the sky :grin:

drop-food-not-bombs-drop-food.gif

• Haha! 3

4 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Can intercept for free food? Ukraine should have some expertise now. 

And those blades look like they can slice off a neck! 

They certainly can. Those are carbon fibre blades. I also have.:D My helicopter blades are all CF, they are even longer. The longest are 700mm long, its like a sword.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Heartbreakid said:

Don't feel good about this. If it drops, it is going to injure someone or damage something.

So next time when go out must wear a safety helmet liao?!