Singapore, Malaysia to reopen land borders to vaccinated travellers; all modes of transport allowed

zipping

@AndrewLee72  dont expect too much reply, all 1st time being released back 2bd home again, unless he is back safe, however Polis is also fast to implement hiccups along the way. btw, do we hear anyting from LTA/ TP side on travel advisory ?

↡ Advertisement

@inlinesix   I reckon even if one pay kopi money, the summon will still come to them, we do not hear any new broadcast of past 2 years b4 C-19 VEP whose cars has been installed with all the decals installation etc etc, it took a heavy tolls of their burden, the site always breakdown and endless hassles of unwarranted appt to visit up north . . . Any one hear news  . . .can update here . Thx ☺️

No point going over just for petrol.

If you have a regular sedan, your tank is about 60 liters.  At 1/4 tank its 15 liters. 

For simplicity sake, lets not count the petrol spent going there and back, which if traffic jam could consume 4-5 liters which you would not be consuming if you didn't go over in the first place. 

At 15 liters and Vpower97 at RM3.83 or SG1.28.  The price at SPC for RON95 is SG3.04 but after 22% discount is SG2.37.  You save SG1.09 per liter or max SG16-17.

If you count the 4-5 liters you lose going over and back fighting the jam, then you save even less, maybe only about SG10 per trip.

Unless you want to take the risk of getting caught not adhering to the 3/4 tank rule (I know of some drivers going over on an almost empty tank but not worth it for me). 

On top of this you run the risk of getting mugged especially when you make a trip to Gelang patah to just top up, and go late at night to avoid the jam.  That area has quite a few motorcycle gangs, Mat Rempits.  At best they rob you, at worse they smash your car resulting in a few Ks of repair cost, all just to save $16?

Me I go over as I have family there, and they are in the city area which is safer.  However nothing is ever safe in JB, especially if they have lost their job, are looking for easy prey. 

• Praise 2

If you go over take these precautions:

Buy a cheap wallet and put in just NRIC, 1 credit card, TnG card and your cash. 

Wear clothing with deep pockets. Keep your cash in different deep pockets. Most places take credit card or TnG wallet, go as cashless as possible.  Even most naughty places accept credit card (so I hear from a friend).

If being robbed, ask them to give you back your NRIC, they do not need that, and it saves you hassle. 

Leave your rings, tag huers, rolexes, jewellery in Singapore.

Buy a cheapo android phone to use, or transfer your sim to an old phone.  Don't bring your iphone 13 max there.  Yeah I know Apple has made it such that it is bricked without your passcode, but you do not want someone to hold a knife to your throat forcing you to reset your phone to factory state.  That would be a terrifying 30 mins of your life.

I drive a cheap Toyota but even then I use a steering wheel lock when leaving my car overnight out in the street at a homestay or in the hotel carpark.  While they can break a steering wheel lock, the purpose is to make it a hassle so that they will choose other cars.

Park in lot that a tow truck cannot reach. I have a friend lose his Camry with an immobiliser system, when a tow truck came and lifted it to a truck bed and carry it off for the thieves to crack at their leisure. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, VictorLim said:

Planning to drive across the Causeway this weekend as have not seen my parents since 2020.  I understand need MySejahtera app and VEP tag, however...

When I tried to register for MySejahtera app the address registration dropdown menu had a "State" which only has Malaysian states, and is a mandatory field.  Do I use my parent's address? But then I Singaporean, not Malaysian, not MY PR.  Do I put my Singapore address and just randomly pick a State?  What to do, what to do...

Anyone has applied for MySejahtera in the past using a Singapore address? What did you do?  

Also do we need a working VEP tag?  Before they closed the causeway in 2020, the VEP sensor was not working, so having the tag or not was not an issue.  We pay for the VEP and toll using TnG card which I have.  Unfortunately I replaced my windshield due crack and the VEP tag is gone.  I cannot apply for a new tag as my current tag is still valid.  When I tried to deactivate the current tag, the system says the backend server is not responding and to call VEP admin.  When I searched for and called VEP admin I get a number not working.  I thought maybe no need the VEP tag, but then ST published an email reply from the JPJ saying its still needed.  And the website says if you don't have a VEP tag is a RM150 fine.  Any idea if VEP tag is a must if we can pay the VEP and toll manually?

Malaysia really boleh, so crap.  

VEP is still not active. That's the RFID sticker that's supposed to be pasted on windscreen/headlight. Note it's not the same as the RFID that is used by PLUS for toll payment on highways. 

The Rm20 that we pay on entry is for Road Charge (RC). Pay using TnG card.

• Praise 1

@inlinesix My two TnG cards were registered to the TnG app, so on the app its showing my TnG card still valid and the amount has been unchanged since March 2020!  It even shows the expiration of my TnG card, one in 2025 and one in 2027.

2 minutes ago, VictorLim said:

If you go over take these precautions:

Buy a cheap wallet and put in just NRIC, 1 credit card, TnG card and your cash. 

Wear clothing with deep pockets. Keep your cash in different deep pockets. Most places take credit card or TnG wallet, go as cashless as possible.  Even most naughty places accept credit card (so I hear from a friend).

If being robbed, ask them to give you back your NRIC, they do not need that, and it saves you hassle. 

Leave your rings, tag huers, rolexes, jewellery in Singapore.

Buy a cheapo android phone to use, or transfer your sim to an old phone.  Don't bring your iphone 13 max there.  Yeah I know Apple has made it such that it is bricked without your passcode, but you do not want someone to hold a knife to your throat forcing you to reset your phone to factory state.  That would be a terrifying 30 mins of your life.

I drive a cheap Toyota but even then I use a steering wheel lock when leaving my car overnight out in the street at a homestay or in the hotel carpark.  While they can break a steering wheel lock, the purpose is to make it a hassle so that they will choose other cars.

Park in lot that a tow truck cannot reach. I have a friend lose his Camry with an immobiliser system, when a tow truck came and lifted it to a truck bed and carry it off for the thieves to crack at their leisure. 

good tips but i think easier to just avoid JB city area if possible. Other states/parts of Johor are probably lower risk.

Supercharged

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2022/03/28/all-public-transportation-services-between-malaysia-singapore-allowed-to-resume-on-april-1-says-dr-wee&ved=2ahUKEwiv0tb_wuj2AhXUV3wKHe05D50QFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1Nk2Lqp_-YaMkshYO1mA5k

"For those travelling in private cars into Malaysia, Dr Wee said they must remember to register and obtain their foreign vehicles entry permit (VEP) from https://vep.jpj.gov.my.

Vehicles that are registered will be provided with an RFID-VEP tag which will be equipped with the Touch n Go e-wallet app for the purpose of paying the Road Charge and toll."

New requirement? New queue for tag?

Edited by Kklim

4 hours ago, Jamesc said:

The computer programmer never thought about state so only put Malaysian states.

If its correctly stated then its not Bolehland.

:D

put this address sure boleh

209, Jalan Tun Razak
50400 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia

• Haha! 3

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

It is still valid if tied it to TnG app

Meaning the TnG card is still able to tap and go. I recalled I still have hundreds inside. 

Malaysia to waive RM20 road charge for Singapore-registered vehicles between Apr 1 and Apr 7

In a press statement on Monday (Mar 28), Malaysia’s Transport Minister Wee Ka Siong said the decision was made taking into consideration that the land borders between the two countries have been closed for more than two years, and that Singaporeans have not been able to enter Malaysia to top up their Touch ‘n Go cards. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/malaysia-waive-rm20-road-charge-singapore-registered-vehicles-2591246

[drivingcar]

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 1

35 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Looks like .... 😁

image.png.4c6c57d6fead03551a1bc6b25d80bd44.png

image.png.1240b83e880a9b0e84f32f6274633ba1.png

Reminds me of my childhood days

48F9FC8C-72B3-4CAF-B533-E6D498CB8237.jpeg

The remote control car go under baddie car then jit bah booms :XD:

I watch their show don’t know know many times :XD:

Edited by Mustank
  • Haha! 2

Supercharged
2 hours ago, Meanmachine said:

@Spurman I'm just be cautious , No harm to play safe Muahahaha

No worries. We also dun wan anything bad to happen.

Stay safe. Drive safe..

Lets see how the customs cope. I tink 1st day sure jam like seow.

• Praise 1

48 minutes ago, Blueray said:

Malaysia to waive RM20 road charge for Singapore-registered vehicles between Apr 1 and Apr 7

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/malaysia-waive-rm20-road-charge-singapore-registered-vehicles-2591246

[drivingcar]

Wah lau 7 days not enough to clear the backlog... think everyone drop everything just to enter isit

At least 2-3 weekends lah

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

It is still valid if tied it to TnG app

A good heads up, thanks.

I checked my card against my app, expiry is 2026 but in MY standard practice, when I tried to link my card to my account, it told me it was already linked to a different account 🤨

So, RM46 active on my card. Thanks for the reminder 😉

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1