EV battery life: real vs advertised

yishunite

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Kia-EV6-comes-up-short-in-real-life-range-test-misses-its-projected-WLTP-range-by-up-to-45.610465.0.html

The Kia EV6 comes up short in real-life range test, misses its projected WLTP range by up to 45%

Like many other electric cars, the Kia EV6 does not hit its official range of 328 miles in most real-life tests (Image: Kia)

The long-range RWD model of the Kia EV6, which is equipped with a sizable 77 kWh battery, has missed its projected WLTP range of 328 miles in a real-life test by a quite considerable margin

Owners of regular gas or diesel-powered vehicles with traditional internal combustion engines might be familiar with the issue - it is borderline impossible to achieve the fuel consumption which is listed by the respective manufacturer. As many buyers transition to battery-powered vehicles, this core issue apparently persists, as a range test of the new Kia EV6 now illustrates.

According to a German report by InsideEVs, the long-range RWD model variant of the sleek Kia EV6 has not provided its projected WLTP range of 328 in a real-life range test conducted by a French reviewer. Over the course of almost 1,200 miles, the Kia EV6 and its 77.4 kWh battery apparently consumed significantly more power, which led to an average of just 204 miles per charge, which is 38% below the official range.

At regular highway speeds of 80 mph, the Kia EV6 dropped to an even lower range of just 178 miles, while it remained somewhat efficient when driving in the city. At an average speed of 28 mph, the South Korean EV recorded a range of almost 270 miles. However, the French reviewer also admitted that he used the AC heating and heated seats due to cool winter temperatures, which means that the Kia EV6 could in fact come a bit closer to its projected WLTP range of 328 miles at warmer temperatures. Either way, this latest test once again highlights that prospective buyers of an electric car should not necessarily take the proclaimed ranges of any EV manufacturer for granted.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

This is just like the mileage given by the car maker for petrol cars. Their figures are achieved in a lab.

For us it is the same when we have to run the aircon in our hot climate.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Macam the fc and bhp claims...hear oredi can liao dont listen...😁

Forgot to add...swiss standard also 😂

Edited by mersaylee

Maybe the industry should come up with another standard specifically for EVs for a more accurate measurement.

I suspect in warmer climates, EV drains battery faster vs ICE when stucked in a hot traffic jam. E.g. the idling RPM of ICE difference not much with or without air con on. But for EV, air con is one of the major drain in electric power.

• Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Maybe the industry should come up with another standard specifically for EVs for a more accurate measurement.

I suspect in warmer climates, EV drains battery faster vs ICE when stucked in a hot traffic jam. E.g. the idling RPM of ICE difference not much with or without air con on. But for EV, air con is one of the major drain in electric power.

Actually its the opposite for EVs. Warmer climates actually not so bad for EVs 😁

In winter climate, the chemical reactions of the lithium ion battery cells deteriorate so you are getting less mileage for the same charge during summer. It is not uncommon to experience a 30-40% drop in mileage for EVs during winter. Also, EVs don't generate their own heat, so they need to consume more battery in winter for heating in the passenger compartment. It uses quite a fair bit more battery to operate the heat pump, than the A/C system to cool the passenger compartment down. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 5

I see, thanks for enlightening me! 

I'm thinking along the line that there might be factors that might affect how ICE and EV depletes their energy, therefore, a new standard might be needed.

45 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Macam the fc and bhp claims...hear oredi can liao dont listen...😁

Forgot to add...swiss standard also 😂

He said don't sour grapes leh! Go Jurong Lake District lah. 

Edited by Fitvip
  • Haha! 1

53 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

This is just like the mileage given by the car maker for petrol cars. Their figures are achieved in a lab.

For us it is the same when we have to run the aircon in our hot climate.

I know our car fuel efficiency can never same as paper spec but if mostly on highway it is quite accurate and can even exceed

Im curious to know what is the rough difference EV will have from paper spec to singapore road condition on average tho

14 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

He said don't sour grapes leh! Go Jurong Lake District lah. 

Got Swiss watches or rolls there...? Ohh...so he meant that kind of Swiss standard...😁

• Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, yishunite said:

I know our car fuel efficiency can never same as paper spec but if mostly on highway it is quite accurate and can even exceed

Im curious to know what is the rough difference EV will have from paper spec to singapore road condition on average tho

It depends on how aggressive regen brake is set.

With so many traffic light, it is likely to be better than WLTP.

• Praise 2

18 minutes ago, yishunite said:

I find it hard to predict even for a rough estimate. If it starts raining some fool on the expressway will crash his car with some other car causing a traffic jam. If travelling at peak hours, you know lah. If there is some new watch launch Orchard Road will have very heavy traffic, sian 1/2 stuck in traffic. Unless covid strikes again and make the roads empty. 

Singapore road condition is so hard to predict. I know many ppl especially guys would want a definitive figure. We will have to wait for electrical technology to improve.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 1

24 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I find it hard to predict even for a rough estimate. If it starts raining some fool on the expressway will crash his car with some other car causing a traffic jam. If travelling at peak hours, you know lah. If there is some new watch launch Orchard Road will have very heavy traffic, sian 1/2 stuck in traffic. Unless covid strikes again and make the roads empty. 

Singapore road condition is so hard to predict. I know many ppl especially guys would want a definitive figure. We will have to wait for electrical technology to improve.

This kind of driving conditions is best for EV. Regen brake will work hard.

On pure Highway drive, there is no chance to charge 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

It depends on how aggressive regen brake is set.

With so many traffic light, it is likely to be better than WLTP.

For consumption (kWh/100km) even on the expressways, it may get even better on EVs as long as you maintain a consistent speed and cruise at 90-100 km/h. In city and start/stop traffic, EVs have brake regen to help with efficiency as well which you've pointed out. I find that its only when one is lead footed, shooting off the lights and accelerating hard to aim for gaps in traffic, the consumption becomes worse off. This is from experience after I've swapped cars and tried out my friend's Model 3. 

For example, maintaining at 150-170 km/h on the NSH will certainly result in lousy consumption. Generally, in day to day driving conditions in Singapore, the efficiency of the EV powertrain is very very good. 

• Praise 1

I watched this video awhile ago on effects of car settings and accessories on EV range. Quite telling it is not possible to reach the quoted range.

1 minute ago, Lethalstrike said:

For consumption (kWh/100km) even on the expressways, it may get even better on EVs as long as you maintain a consistent speed and cruise at 90-100 km/h. In city and start/stop traffic, EVs have brake regen to help with efficiency as well which you've pointed out. I find that its only when one is lead footed, shooting off the lights and accelerating hard to aim for gaps in traffic, the consumption becomes worse off. This is from experience after I've swapped cars and tried out my friend's Model 3. 

For example, maintaining at 150-170 km/h on the NSH will certainly result in lousy consumption. Generally, in day to day driving conditions in Singapore, the efficiency of the EV powertrain is very very good. 

As Model 3 Regen brake is very aggressive, it should offset against lead foot.

If not, maybe because of its 400v architecture.

I understand Taycan recoup a lot of power with its 800v architecture.

Driving 150km/h on NSH, Mini FC around 13km/L.

Around Singapore, i am lucky to clock 10km/L.

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

As Model 3 Regen brake is very aggressive, it should offset against lead foot.

If not, maybe because of its 400v architecture.

I understand Taycan recoup a lot of power with its 800v architecture.

Driving 150km/h on NSH, Mini FC around 13km/L.

Around Singapore, i am lucky to clock 10km/L.

No chance to try Taycan yet. You have atas friends driving Taycan to intro? 🤣

• Praise 1

Just now, Lethalstrike said:

No chance to try Taycan yet. You have atas friends driving Taycan to intro? 🤣

Even I have, I will not dare to try it.

Might end up Sleepless nightmare

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1