EV battery life: real vs advertised

yishunite

(edited)
2 hours ago, Vratenza said:

Tesla-S-model-battery-cooling.png.993b55f01b1383fcd0864ed57057af77.png

Maybe I am not a technological expert in EV but from the schematic of a Tesla 3 cooling system, it is still base on liquid coolant cooling system that is similar to ICE.

All the massive amount of heat generated is dependent on a single radiator in front and probably heavily dependent on a set of radiator fan(s) to force air over the radiator fins to remove the heat from the system. That seem to be a single point of failure that is not unique to EV or even ICE vehicle. 

I disagree that cold kills the battery, cold only temporarily reduce the efficiency of the battery capacity (eg. when I bring my samsung galaxy note to Hokkaido during winter, a full charge of battery last me only 70% on the previously known battery life, but when I came back from the trip, my phone is back to normal.)

Heat on the other hand will permanently reduce the lifespan and capacity of any batteries.

It is undeniable fact that heat will kill battery life.

On the other hand, EV have sensor to regulate temperature.

For charging,  Porsche and Hyundai use 800v archi to improve efficiency.

I said, "In fact, it is cold that kills the range."

My iphone6 died (while playing music) whenever I jogged during winter.  Have to carry powerbank to "wake" it up.

Not sure whether iphone12 will die or not in cold.

Edited by inlinesix
↡ Advertisement

29 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It is undeniable fact that heat will kill battery life.

On the other hand, EV have sensor to regulate temperature.

For charging,  Porsche and Hyundai use 800v archi to improve efficiency.

I said, "In fact, it is cold that kills the range."

My iphone6 died (while playing music) whenever I jogged during winter.  Have to carry powerbank to "wake" it up.

Not sure whether iphone12 will die or not in cold.

I concede that if the EV is being charged, heat sensor-regulated charging will definitely ensure that the EV is being charged at optimum temperature albeit at expense of longer charging time.

The problem I have is when the EV is being used and the ambient temperature climbs, the battery is underload from the air conditioning or start stop urban traffic, how will sensors regulate the temperature of the battery? Cutting power draw from the battery (reduce power output from the motor, so what happens to the drivability)? Increase the fan speed of the radiator (how  effective will this be given the diminishing returns as the radiator heat exchange gradient saturates)? 

In summary, my point here is that EV technology at this stage is still awfully nascent if you bother to think it through beyond the marketing fluff. More work needs to be done to solve the effect of heat (or lack of) under different operating temperature. That is over and on top of the various other real world issues such as charging speed, charger availability, accelerated depletion of rare minerals/metals for battery production, responsible recycling of used up EV batteries and truly clean energy source.

13 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

I concede that if the EV is being charged, heat sensor-regulated charging will definitely ensure that the EV is being charged at optimum temperature albeit at expense of longer charging time.

The problem I have is when the EV is being used and the ambient temperature climbs, the battery is underload from the air conditioning or start stop urban traffic, how will sensors regulate the temperature of the battery? Cutting power draw from the battery (reduce power output from the motor, so what happens to the drivability)? Increase the fan speed of the radiator (how  effective will this be given the diminishing returns as the radiator heat exchange gradient saturates)? 

In summary, my point here is that EV technology at this stage is still awfully nascent if you bother to think it through beyond the marketing fluff. More work needs to be done to solve the effect of heat (or lack of) under different operating temperature. That is over and on top of the various other real world issues such as charging speed, charger availability, accelerated depletion of rare minerals/metals for battery production, responsible recycling of used up EV batteries and truly clean energy source.

That's the point of testing before launch. 

I believe the desert is hotter than our climate.

EV has moved beyond marketing fluff especially companies like Tesla, Rimac, Lucid.

For Sg, we can't ever go truly energy (at least for next 20 years).

One thing for sure is that the technological leaps which will be made within the coming decade will be substantially bigger than what the internal combustion engine experienced in its 200 years of evolution. Expect EV, battery and software technology to improve by huge leaps within the next 10 years. If I'm from the 1800s, I will also have my doubts about future of the ICE and will prefer my horse-drawn carriage at that point of time 😁

One thing though, future battery construction will have alternative ways which are cleaner and more sustainable. Upcoming solid state battery tech is a further refinement of existing lithium-ion tech, but it's still not quite the real answer. If this isn't managed well, the large scale mining of metals necessary for batteries manufacturing will be an ecological disaster. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1