How long do you normally keep your car for?

CarGuy88

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Bro, 10 + 9 + 10 + 8 

Consecutive or concurrently owned one :XD:

Me England not so good mah ; only 1st one  Lancer is my late father pass it to me (I only owned it for 1 year only ) and COE expired 

u go Changi chalet one is concurrent or consecutive 1 ?? 🤣🤣 @RadXaskin 

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

In my 20s to late 30s over a span of about 12 yrs, i had 9 cars mostly coupes/cab so average is less than 1.5yrs per car

From 40 til now i had 5 cars. 
2 of then i kept 5 yrs.

the other 3 all under 2 yrs

so in general can conclude that for family car , the ownership is longer.

for lifestyle car the ownership is shorter

but i did keep my 911 for 5 yrs

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Mustank said:

Coe and beyond :grin:

Does it get expensive or difficult to maintain past COE? 

I have a colleague whose Megane RS comes with non-stop expensive repairs after 10 years. Think I confirm cannot deal with that haha.

• Haha! 1

1. Toyota Altis 10 yrs (reliable)

2. Nissan fairlady 350Z HR 8.5yrs (manual & fun!)

3. BMW F12 650 3yrs (finally understood Bring More Worries! In & out workshops during the term)

4. Audi B8.5 S4 5yrs & counting… (understated compact sedan, love it!)

Early forties here, own concurrent rides…

BMW N63 V8 was the hardest beast to tame, in hindsight, owning it betw 5th-8th yr when out of warranty was a mistake…every major/minor issue sends the Bimmer to limp mode… But it was a mighty smooth cognac when it clicks 🙂

FAIRLADY was a beauty to behold…Easy to drive & fairly easy to upkeep..manual & RWD, wat more can u ask? 

Audi V6 engine is well built, decent power & purposeful. Perhaps a little subdued in resonance, Quattro gives tons of grip..perfect sports Sedan to ferry kids & run errands.. 😊

Toyota: drove for 190,000km and never once broke down nor needed a tow truck says it all… 👍

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

Shortest was 1 year (money pit).

Longest 10 years. 

Average 5 years per car over a span of more than 25 years. 

Looks like I am quite a scrooge given my love for motoring.

• Praise 2

First car - 4 years.

Second car - 13 years (still with me).

Third car - 3 years (still with me).

A car is just to move from point A to B to me.  The longer I drive the better as I am more familiar with the car's handling and temper.

• Praise 2

(edited)

My first car was a COE renewed Mitsubishi Lancer. Had it for 4.5 years thereabouts. Had to sell because repairs and maintenance was starting to get a bit problematic and expensive.

Second car was a Toyota Prius, had for slightly under one year. Let go cos went overseas to work

Third car was Suzuki SX4. Had for about 2.5 years. Was ok generally but also old (COE renewed too).

Traded it for a Toyota Yaris Cross in Jan this year.

Edited by Benarsenal
  • Praise 3

19 hours ago, CarGuy88 said:

Does it get expensive or difficult to maintain past COE? 

I have a colleague whose Megane RS comes with non-stop expensive repairs after 10 years. Think I confirm cannot deal with that haha.

All parts have limited lifespan.  After 10 years, even parts that you do not know exist or expect to break down can break down.

The key to a hassle-free COE car is to get a common COE car model so that parts and workshops are still able to repair fast and economically.

The ultimate is to get a model that you can see fairly often in Malaysia because you can repair or get parts there at a fraction of the cost in Singapore.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, awhtc said:

All parts have limited lifespan.  After 10 years, even parts that you do not know exist or expect to break down can break down.

The key to a hassle-free COE car is to get a common COE car model so that parts and workshops are still able to repair fast and economically.

The ultimate is to get a model that you can see fairly often in Malaysia because you can repair or get parts there at a fraction of the cost in Singapore.

Thanks, great advice for owning COE cars!

2 hours ago, awhtc said:

But then you also get worried about car being stolen while in Malaysia since itis so common haha.

↡ Advertisement