Simple way to deal with off-topic discussions

Heartlander

Those in the forum will see that many like to veer off topic in every threads for whatever reasons, thereby causing other users to avoid the threads thus not participating as much which is not healthy. Short of banning these people, which most likely will rid this forum of 94.3% of members, another way is for moderators to spend some time to go through each posting and tag those not related to the topic for processing later. A way to deal is to allow members to choose to read the full thread in its full glory or the 'cleansed' version for that particular thread. Some logistic works involved but I believe it will improve the ambience remarkably as we will not be seeing all the stupid bantering/bickering among members.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Internal Moderator
37 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Those in the forum will see that many like to veer off topic in every threads for whatever reasons, thereby causing other users to avoid the threads thus not participating as much which is not healthy. Short of banning these people, which most likely will rid this forum of 94.3% of members, another way is for moderators to spend some time to go through each posting and tag those not related to the topic for processing later. A way to deal is to allow members to choose to read the full thread in its full glory or the 'cleansed' version for that particular thread. Some logistic works involved but I believe it will improve the ambience remarkably as we will not be seeing all the stupid bantering/bickering among members.

Thank you for sharing this concern. I truly appreciate this gesture of yours!

Even thou, I must admit due to my happy-go-lucky persona, I will also go off topic. So gotta ownself check ownself sometime. I think what we can do to make sure every topic have valuable content inside is. . .

1) Thread starter must "police and participate" ask and reply all the contributor, so that the communication will keep going. If not it might just get carried away from a joke or two.

2) contributor should always contribute to the topic first then TCSS with the folks, so the objective is met, and you guys can also have an outlet here.

I hope everyone enjoy your stay here in MCF and I would like to make MCF great again! Huat Ah!

• Praise 4

47 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Hmm... Its actually a culture here, the ability to veer off course most times. Can't really be helped when old friends meet and naturally they will talk about this and that, then became OT. 

In the beginning, yes, I felt frustrated, especially when I search for some information and other than perhaps first few replies related to topic, the rest can be one liners or many to/for of each other's teasing of an event that's known to only those few. It's akin to evasdropping on a conversation that's just way too loud, not that one is interested to evasdrop. 

I am guilty of going OT too. A thought or event remembered and want to share, may be hanging on a very thin thread to be considered a relative to topic or totally no family ties. 

While what u suggest is good, I fear it may really be alot of work for the Mods and sometimes in an OT, there may really be a portion or part that's still relevant to the topic discussed. Do they then "cut" here and there? Some may be clear cut but I suspect majority may not be. 

I learnt to pass by unrelevant posts, it's just eye power to skip, skip, skip. Some posts are really quite humourous whilst OT. 

That's my journey here thus far. It's a car forum.

More serious discussions may be found elsewhere cos after awhile, there is just that much knowledge and one will hear repeats of "old man type of last time, it was done this way, blah blah blah" posts. Nothing wrong cos we all grow old and those experiences were at least, real. 

You have a meticulous approach to discussions. It is relevant to topic and most times, useful to anyone who search under those threads. 

Can I suggest that you continue to bless this forum with the gems of information or insights and ignore the OTs. 

Ppl stay and go for all sorts of reasons. I hope you see beyond those bantering and bickering, cos "stupid" is also subjective. Ignorance of the "behind the scenes" friendships is many times the reason for our irrigation, I mean, irritation for the OTs. 

Just my thoughts.

I read your posts and most times impressed at the substance in them. But I learnt from the School of Life that one cannot dictate choices others make. 

Relax and enjoy your journey here. I treat this forum very lightly, in the sense that I do not take everything here too seriously, because its not a life and death option.

I rant here, scold here and kena suan too. That's the beauty of forums. It is therapeutic to me. I love nice food, best if it is reasonably priced.

Come over to "eat" with us. 😋😋👍

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 7

49 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Hmm... Its actually a culture here, the ability to veer off course most times. Can't really be helped when old friends meet and naturally they will talk about this and that, then became OT. 

In the beginning, yes, I felt frustrated, especially when I search for some information and other than perhaps first few replies related to topic, the rest can be one liners or many to/for of each other's teasing of an event that's known to only those few. It's akin to evasdropping on a conversation that's just way too loud, not that one is interested to evasdrop. 

I am guilty of going OT too. A thought or event remembered and want to share, may be hanging on a very thin thread to be considered a relative to topic or totally no family ties. 

While what u suggest is good, I fear it may really be alot of work for the Mods and sometimes in an OT, there may really be a portion or part that's still relevant to the topic discussed. Do they then "cut" here and there? Some may be clear cut but I suspect majority may not be. 

I learnt to pass by unrelevant posts, it's just eye power to skip, skip, skip. Some posts are really quite humourous whilst OT. 

That's my journey here thus far. It's a car forum.

More serious discussions may be found elsewhere cos after awhile, there is just that much knowledge and one will hear repeats of "old man type of last time, it was done this way, blah blah blah" posts. Nothing wrong cos we all grow old and those experiences were at least, real. 

You have a meticulous approach to discussions. It is relevant to topic and most times, useful to anyone who search under those threads. 

Can I suggest that you continue to bless this forum with the gems of information or insights and ignore the OTs. 

Ppl stay and go for all sorts of reasons. I hope you see beyond those bantering and bickering, cos "stupid" is also subjective. Ignorance of the "behind the scenes" friendships is many times the reason for our irrigation, I mean, irritation for the OTs. 

Just my thoughts.

I read your posts and most times impressed at the substance in them. But I learnt from the School of Life that one cannot dictate choices others make. 

Relax and enjoy your journey here. I treat this forum very lightly, in the sense that I do not take everything here too seriously, because its not a life and death option.

I rant here, scold here and kena suan too. That's the beauty of forums. It is therapeutic to me. I love nice food, best if it is reasonably priced.

Come over to "eat" with us. 😋😋👍

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Thanks for being politically correct and diplomatic haha.

Guess the current way would be the way to go then. Really some work to do and might need to engage part-time staff to do the work as the mods might contribute to the off-topic discussions even more after having to go through the postings haha.

• Haha! 1

58 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Thank you for sharing this concern. I truly appreciate this gesture of yours!

Even thou, I must admit due to my happy-go-lucky persona, I will also go off topic. So gotta ownself check ownself sometime. I think what we can do to make sure every topic have valuable content inside is. . .

1) Thread starter must "police and participate" ask and reply all the contributor, so that the communication will keep going. If not it might just get carried away from a joke or two.

2) contributor should always contribute to the topic first then TCSS with the folks, so the objective is met, and you guys can also have an outlet here.

I hope everyone enjoy your stay here in MCF and I would like to make MCF great again! Huat Ah!

Your reply is very text book style haha. Throw everything back 高明高明 haha.

It is good for you to set the protocol for those thinking to create new threads though might not be so easy to meet as not all members can log in throughout the day. Some will just create a thread and wait a day or so for the responses. Then some will come along and conclude that the TS run road already, then TS might really run road after seeing the hostility. But no harm making it clear so that at least the old birds can lead by example.

Anyway all the best under new ownership. At least your nick has put you in good stead already haha. 

• Haha! 1

Who don't OT? Dare to swear or not?🤐

This forum has survived, as RadX said, for 20 years already. Forumers come and go. The forum has also evolved, from a very closely policed, to what it is today, a little more relax and more freedom of expression. 

There were days when some forumers were disciplined by our very serious Mods, not short of knn knn etc.

Nowadays, most of our Mods are very diplomatic. It does not mean they are not doing their work. They know their stuff and know what to do!

In this forum, when a thread is started, at least we know what it is all about. I have visited some other forums where there is really bo cheng hu!

OTs cannot be avoided in total. Some OTs actually make the discussion more interesting. Well, if for people who don't enjoy the OT, they can always ignore them.

I have benefited a lot from this forum. e.g knowing where to go for air-con repair, where to get batteries a reasonable price, playing WORDLE etc. I am sure the Makan thread has benefited many people, especially those who declared that the live to eat!😜 There are others like DIY, MIL etc:XD:

Well, life is short, let's enjoy!

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 5

Internal Moderator
53 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Your reply is very text book style haha. Throw everything back 高明高明 haha.

It is good for you to set the protocol for those thinking to create new threads though might not be so easy to meet as not all members can log in throughout the day. Some will just create a thread and wait a day or so for the responses. Then some will come along and conclude that the TS run road already, then TS might really run road after seeing the hostility. But no harm making it clear so that at least the old birds can lead by example.

Anyway all the best under new ownership. At least your nick has put you in good stead already haha. 

I speaking what you wanna discuss bro. haha. i didn't go off topic leh. hahahaha.

For our new ownership, thank you and please continue to put faith in us. And yes. hahaha. My name is my name and won't change anything one.

I can work means I can work, if I cannot work, my surname is toyoda also no use one. hahaha. 😂

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
46 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Its a free forum, i don’t expect much. Don’t charge me subscription can ald😁

Thank you for your suggestion. Indeed is a good idea. 😈

Some topics are not very interesting and the best posts are the OT ones.

Must learn to one glance to see if the post is worth reading or not.

If you see OT and and don't like OT

move on!

:D

image.png.66c703e01e58b142b5173b08741472d4.png 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

life is short

we only live once 

why so serious leh

sg already so stress

post forum still need mata meh

the only no OT forum I guess only SBF