[ranting] drive until no fuel and stall

Gnahp

Supercharged

it's not me, it's my wife

she did that to every single car she drives

this morning the car app in my phone shows low fuel warning and my wife was out with the car

I was caught in a dilemma

should I trust her? a veteran driver with more than 20 years (half a million km) of driving experience 

or history will repeat itself?

I don't want to ruin my weekends by carrying a jerry can to petrol station and filling up the car at the shoulder of the expressway

I called, she is not aware of the low fuel warning at all

she made a detour to the nearest petrol station and the car stalled right at the entrance of the station

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 4
  • Sad 3
  • Haha! 41

Supersonic

Heng, the car stalled right at the entrance of the petrol station. But the car still cannot reach the filling station right? 😅

• Angry 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
11 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Heng, the car stalled right at the entrance of the petrol station. But the car still cannot reach the filling station right? 😅

staff at the station helped her to move the car to the pump

I think a subtle low fuel warning on the instrument cluster doesn't work for her

engineer should allow user to set it to a more intrusive warning

like turning off the music and aircon, black out the entire screen and showing a full screen flashing red low fuel warning and chant "warning low fuel warning low fuel warning low fuel" loud and non stop until it is refilled

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 24

30 minutes ago, Phang said:

it's not me, it's my wife

she did that to every single car she drives

this morning the car app in my phone shows low fuel warning and my wife was out with the car

I was caught in a dilemma

should I trust her? a veteran driver with more than 20 years (half a million km) of driving experience 

or history will repeat itself?

I don't want to ruin my weekends by carrying a jerry can to petrol station and filling up the car at the shoulder of the expressway

I called, she is not aware of the low fuel warning at all

she made a detour to the nearest petrol station and the car stalled right at the entrance of the station

The only consolation is that she's still consistent and did not disappoint. 

😅😂

Hearsay a good habit takes 3 years to form and since it's been more than that, her bad habit won hands down cos only takes 3 days to take root, and auto reset good habit process to starting point each time. 

She's probably confident that you will come to her rescue every time. Can set your alarm to warn you earlier? Then just nice to reach petrol station every time? 

Yada-ing. Have a good weekend. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 5

Supersonic

I had a couple of cases, where car owners told me to change battery bcuz the car wouldn't start.

I had to check the fuel level first. It was totally empty and I told them so.

Huh ? need petrol to start engine ?

Of cuz, how do you think the car can start and move.. To help them, I had to drive to the petrol station, bring a can of petrol back, with a funnel, and start their engine.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 12

17 minutes ago, Phang said:

I think a subtle low fuel warning on the instrument cluster doesn't work for her

like turning off the music and aircon, black out the entire screen and showing a full screen flashing red low fuel warning and chant "warning low fuel warning low fuel warning low fuel" loud and non stop until it is refilled

She already has an intrusive warning - you!

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 5

Turbocharged

The fuel gauge is digital? Nowadays it is too subtle.

I found the digital fuel "bar" gauge can be overlooked easily when transitioning to this type. Previously I drove a car with the usual "needle" or pointer gauge which was more intuitive.

Nowadays i hardly notice the digital fuel gauge. Rather, my cue to refuel is to look at the calculated range remaining displayed on the panel. Once it goes below 50 km, for example, then I'll refuel at the next opportunity.

• Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Phang said:

If your car's fuel sensor or float spoilt, you will hate the intrusive warning.:XD:You will wonder who the idiot designed such intrusive warning.:D

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 6

I have to make a trip to the station whenever the needle fall below the 1/2 mark.

Because i don't dare to pump full tank when near empty. The amount to painful to watch.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 18

Not good for the fuel pump .... This one spoilt, got to spend money. So bottom line, may be to pump whenever it is half tank and happen to pass by a station.

• Praise 9

Supersonic
38 minutes ago, Phang said:

Staff station so good to help move the car to the pump, and heng the car can be moved to the pump. 😂 

This one i agreed, should have a   loud warning voice keeps repeating non stop until it is refilled. Some people really drive without looking on the instrument panel at the dashboard. Dont know if any warning light lighted up or needle reached low fuel level etc. 😅

• Praise 1
  • Angry 1

Supersonic
40 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

The only consolation is that she's still consistent and did not disappoint. 

😅😂

Hearsay a good habit takes 3 years to form and since it's been more than that, her bad habit won hands down cos only takes 3 days to take root, and auto reset good habit process to starting point each time. 

She's probably confident that you will come to her rescue every time. Can set your alarm to warn you earlier? Then just nice to reach petrol station every time? 

Yada-ing. Have a good weekend. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

Maybe bro Phang needs to check often on the petrol status for her wife car and go top up for her. Since such thing will happen again de. 😬

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

Nvr happen before cos I don’t really like to wait till empty then pump. 

even my relatively new car the most I pumped was ~60l whereas my tank is 72l. Range shown was left only 20/30km but in actual fact can probably run a lot more with 12l in the tank. 

this car fuel warning a lot earlier. 

previous car my wife still dare to drive from AMK to Clementi for lunch and back when fuel signal lighted up already. 

came back home and told me to top up petrol.  🤷🏻

• Haha! 5

Supersonic
1 minute ago, Volvobrick said:

Nong nong time ago my car went out of fuel too. 

During a date. 

This one really left a deep impression for your date to remember sia?! 😂

3 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Nong nong time ago my car went out of fuel too. 

During a date. 

Spend the night in the car and try pump start something huh? 😁

• Haha! 7