Keep These Parts Maintained To Avoid Breakdowns!

Mkl22

Twincharged
(edited)

https://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=637

eh? i cannot fathom how can one tell if a fuel pump, alternator, starter or ignition coil is failing. in all my years of driving, all these components either work or don't. very very rarely will they exhibit signs to show they are about to fail. they just work and then fail.

for alternator and starter typically it is carbon brushes which are worn and unless you have x-ray eyes you cannot see unless you dismantle it. for the alternator it can also be the rectifier that spoils, also no way to predict before hand.

and i dont see how these items can be maintained except to replace them when they fail. Maybe with the exception of not pumping fuel only when really empty to help the fuel pump, for the rest there is nothing much you can do to stop them from failing, unless you don't use it.

the only way to lower the probability of breakdowns for the above parts is to replace them periodically,but only a super rich maintenance freak will do so. every 50-60k km replace all, should be very safe. 😁

feel free to disagree.

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
7 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

eh? i cannot fathom how can one tell if a fuel pump, alternator, starter or ignition coil is failing. in all my years of driving, all these components either work or don't. very very rarely will they exhibit signs to show they are about to fail. they just work and then fail.

for alternator and starter typically it is carbon brushes which are worn and unless you have x-ray eyes you cannot see unless you dismantle it. for the alternator it can also be the rectifier that spoils, also no way to predict before hand.

and i dont see how these items can be maintained except to replace them when they fail. Maybe with the exception of not pumping fuel only when really empty to help the fuel pump, for the rest there is nothing much you can do to stop them from failing, unless you don't use it.

feel free to disagree.

Hi, please do not full caps the title. we can continue with the discussion but we need to maintain some forum etiquette also. thanks.

I do agree with what you says. Cause I won't replace these items until it is completely down on me. Towing is need everything all these happen also.

• Praise 3

many drivers forgot to check tyres wipers lights battery coolant engine oil wiper fluid and make sure no used cd foil ears or any longer than oc hair strands around 

wet tissue and vacuum come handle

my friend taught me one 🤫🤫🤫

• Haha! 1

Good initiative to keep some parts not easily accessible, however knowing myself as a ardent fan of car, was thinking of keeping 1/2 stocks not easily available found myself wanting . . .

I had a dream car in mind and I have a itching backside to change car next year 2023/4. that kill the mocking dream of keeping parts . . . high as well sell it as I had spent quite a fair bit on upgrades

18 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

the only way to lower the probability of breakdowns for the above parts is to replace them periodically,but only a super rich maintenance freak will do so. every 50-60k km replace all, should be very safe. 😁

feel free to disagree.

Normal driving to & from work will not spoil the alternator or starter. It can last for 9 to 12 years. Because you only starts & off your engine less than 10 times a day (maybe drop by somewhere to pick up something).  

It's only those delivery vehicles (using saloon car), taxis, door to door salesmen, PHV, ....etc.. will have this problem due to their starts stops frequencies. 

If one wants to change those parts, not necessary every 50 - 60k.

If you planing to keep the car longer, change it around 180 ~ 200k (roughly 4 to 5 years or which ever comes first). Most ppl would have change their car by 5th years and that's why buying a second hand car of 5 years or more will face this problem and the buyers has to spend some money to change them.  

For me, I will change them at 180k because I drove to MY often and do not want to get caught with car breakdown and unable to start at a rest points of highways or towns. The MY workshops will  [knife]  for those SG cars doing repairs there (cos you ony come once and they don't kutok you now, lugi). You can expect to pay double the amount for a reconditions parts of which equal to a new part in SG for the same amount you pay for the recon part.   :ouch-it-hurts:

So depending on you whether you want to keep the car after 5 years or change new car every 3 ~ 6 yrs and save on parts. :secret-laugh: 

(edited)
41 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Hi, please do not full caps the title. we can continue with the discussion but we need to maintain some forum etiquette also. thanks.

I do agree with what you says. Cause I won't replace these items until it is completely down on me. Towing is need everything all these happen also.

Yup  [nod]

You are right, stretch every dollars.

The saving can buy an air ticket to Japan ... [sly]

:XD:

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15

(edited)

Think for alternator there will be some warning signs. Like for my case there was a period of time got some  weird sound  on and off when driving a couple of days before alternator finally gave up. I thought I had hit something under the car carriage and went to work shop to check but couldn’t find source  of noise. A few days later  on 1 march 2021, my battery  warning light suddenly  turned on, faster went to the nearest gas station. Battery became flat just as I managed to pull in to  Newton gas station with Stanford tyres shop attached. Shop checked and alternator was dead that’s why battery drained completely flat. They changed New battery for me costing 115 dollars then I drove to nearest workshop.  (Found one shell auto serv at Moulmein road where they ordered new alternator (original  Dont have  recon or OEM) which cost me 800 plus dollars including labor. Total damage 1k in one day zzz. Forgot to mention my car was 12  years old  last year when the original alternator gave up.

77622A11-E445-498E-8768-41F4E0961064.jpeg

Edited by Confusedboi
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

Think for alternator there will be some warning signs. Like for my case there was a period of time got some  weird sound  on and off when driving a couple of days before alternator finally gave up. I thought I had hit something under the car carriage and went to work shop to check but couldn’t find source  of noise. A few days later  and my battery  warning light suddenly  turned on, faster went to the nearest gas station. Battery became flat just as I managed to pull in to  Newton gas station with Stanford tyres shop attached. Shop checked and alternator was dead that’s why battery drained completely flat. They changed New battery for me costing 115 dollars then I drove to nearest workshop.  (Found one shell auto serv at Moulmein road where they ordered new alternator (original  Dont have  recon or OEM) which cost me 800 plus dollars including labor. Total damage 1k in one day zzz. Forgot to mention my car was 12 plus  old  last year when the original alternator gave up.

77622A11-E445-498E-8768-41F4E0961064.jpeg

12 years for an alternator is very robust!

• Praise 1

Twincharged
18 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Normal driving to & from work will not spoil the alternator or starter. It can last for 9 to 12 years. Because you only starts & off your engine less than 10 times a day (maybe drop by somewhere to pick up something).  

It's only those delivery vehicles (using saloon car), taxis, door to door salesmen, PHV, ....etc.. will have this problem due to their starts stops frequencies. 

If one wants to change those parts, not necessary every 50 - 60k.

If you planing to keep the car longer, change it around 180 ~ 200k (roughly 4 to 5 years or which ever comes first). Most ppl would have change their car by 5th years and that's why buying a second hand car of 5 years or more will face this problem and the buyers has to spend some money to change them.  

For me, I will change them at 180k because I drove to MY often and do not want to get caught with car breakdown and unable to start at a rest points of highways or towns. The MY workshops will  [knife]  for those SG cars doing repairs there (cos you ony come once and they don't kutok you now, lugi). You can expect to pay double the amount for a reconditions parts of which equal to a new part in SG for the same amount you pay for the recon part.   :ouch-it-hurts:

So depending on you whether you want to keep the car after 5 years or change new car every 3 ~ 6 yrs and save on parts. :secret-laugh: 

Starter maybe can last longer and can be counted by the number of starts, but alternator is by the number of hours used. It’s usually the brushes that are worn. 
the article wants to prevent breakdowns mah. So the longer you stretch the higher the probability of breaking down. 

(edited)

@Watwheels 👍Smart comment!😂

Don't fix it if it ain't broken!

In the past, my bro and I were so kanchiong that certain parts of the car would break down after certain years. So we bought some parts or standby. One of them was the fuel filter.

After so many years, nothing happened and later we changed cars! What about the parts? I had to negotiate with a stockist to take them in at a big "discount"!

Edited by Fitvip
  • Haha! 4

The only thing you need to be mindful of, and change before it breaks, is the timing belt. Because if it breaks when the engine is running at high speed, many engine parts will be damaged.

• Praise 2

30 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

12 years for an alternator is very robust!

Well I took over the car when it was already  10 years old, (COE renewed by previous owner) so don’t know if previous owner got change before so I just assume never changed before 😂😆

Turbocharged

So far, battery/sparks/ignition coils i change within 3 yrs..

I think next will be fuel pump/water pump/timing belt..

Maintain or replace?

How to maintain a fuel pump, starter, alternator, ignition coils etc?

Take out and wash? Put oil and lubricate them?

:D

• Haha! 5

42 minutes ago, serenade said:

The only thing you need to be mindful of, and change before it breaks, is the timing belt. Because if it breaks when the engine is running at high speed, many engine parts will be damaged.

That is why I went for a car that uses timing chain!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2