Organiser says over 400 pax at anti-death penalty protest at Hong Lim Park on Apr. 3, 2022

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

death-penalty-protest.jpg

Source: https://mothership.sg/2022/04/death-penalty-protest/

Hundreds reportedly gathered at Speakers' Corner at Hong Lim Park on Sunday (Apr. 3) to protest against the death penalty in Singapore.

This came after Singapore hanged a convicted drug trafficker on Mar. 30, 2022, the first execution in the country since 2019.

Additionally, death row convict Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam recently had his appeal dismissed, which sparked anger among some members of the public.

Protesting against death penalty

The organiser of the protest against the death penalty, which started at 5pm and lasted around two hours, reported over 400 people in attendance.

Protestors held placards with varying signs, all urging the Singapore government to abolish the death penalty.

FPbKjCMaIAAjXPb.jpeg

The protestors also chanted slogans.

277532854_10158991780322749_722510163842

Among those in attendance included Singaporean activists Kirsten Han and Jolovan Wham.

Wham was the organiser for the event.

Speakers' Corner was closed for two years

According to The Straits Times, the Speakers' Corner at Hong Lim Park had been closed since April 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

As stated on the National Parks Board's (NParks') website, applications to hold events at the venue reopened on Mar. 23, 2022 after Singapore announced the gradual easing of Covid-19 restrictions.

Applicants must ensure the size of the crowd does not exceed 950 people at a time, according to the application form hosted on the NParks' website.

Speakers' Corner is the only place in Singapore where protests can legally be held.

It is illegal for protests to be conducted anywhere else in Singapore without a police permit.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

Internal Moderator

I dunno about u guys, but I am old-school.

If someone do the deed, somebody gotta pay the price.

• Praise 21
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

I want to believe that these will be the same lot of ppl who will gather and shout slogans to hang the fellow without trial if one of their family members or close friends were harmed by drugs provided by the same person.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 9
  • Haha! 4

Hypersonic
15 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I dunno about u guys, but I am old-school.

If someone do the deed, somebody gotta pay the price.

Support.

• Praise 5

If you  want to abolish the death penalty then there must be an alternative to replace it. An alternative solution as strong as a deterrent as the death penalty.

It is not as easy as it seems.

Even with the drugs related death penalty some drugs still get thru. 

yq-heroincnb-22092024.jpg?VersionId=um0Q

Imagine there is no death penalty. Drugs and drug related crimes will be more rampant. There is a ripple effect. Usually such drugs are used to control ppl. Get them hooked and the drug syndicate will make the drug addicts do what they want. Crimes like prostitution, robbery, mostly gang related crimes. Our society will be a shitty mess.

Stick to whatever works for now. Unless someone could come up with an alternative solution.

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

Tough problem. The reason these low-level couriers (and those caught and sentenced to capital punishment are overwhelmingly the lowest runners) are doing the crime is out of desperation, in need of income. If they are jailed and then released, without solving their desperate money issues for the long-term, they will just turn back to being a drug runner.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

i support death sentence

but if one day the govt really want to abolish it, then replace it with life sentence for those unforgivable crimes

life sentence as in really put in prison until the bugger dies in there (which i think much worse than death)

and not 15/20 years come out liao

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Looking at the first picture of the people there sitting down and holding placard up, can see mostly are young people.  These people probably believe the world is so simple, ideal and easy to make this world a better place.  They haven't seen how drugs kill, drive people to heinous crimes, break up families and cause harm to innocent parties.  It's easy for political people to come up with nice slogans to appeal to their noble feeling.

To understand why the death penalty is warranted, one has to understand that any sentence is make up of 3 components, namely punitive, compensative and deterrence.  Just like murder, the fact that smuggling drugs, knowing that it is lethal, is enough to warrant a death penalty as a deterrent.  Likewise the compensative component calls for an eye for an eye, i.e. death to the criminal as compensation for the victim.

• Praise 11

Kirsten n jolovan can fark each other n move to wherever... my opinion, the law is getting softer, make it tougher for a safer singapore, for u, me n our future.

• Praise 8

Look at the recent cases where our police have to use their weapon on druggies, then its very easy to see how much harm drugs can bring to our country.

We cannot afford any compromise on this.

• Praise 10

1 minute ago, SGCMmadman said:

Kirsten n jolovan can fark each other n move to wherever... my opinion, the law is getting softer, make it tougher for a safer singapore, for u, me n our future.

shd throw them the ISD act 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, RadX said:

Same!  

I must say, no vested interest tho:a-rip:

Unless you offer it pro bono!🤐

• Haha! 2

(edited)

It's OK to spare life of one drug courier or dealer. 

Who will take care of the broken families of young children, elderly parents, spouses, siblings brought on with use of drugs? 

It's OK lah. That one life is so much more precious than all the broken lives and broken families. 

That one life deserves a second chance lah. C'mon, have a bigger heart. 

Who can bring back those dead from drug abuse, to give them a second chance? Give the broken families a second chance?

Not my family or anyone close to me affected, I can spare a few hours to shout slogans and shout no death sentence anymore! 

And prosper the lives of couriers, drug dealers and kingpins. While more forced into a hellish life of addiction to drugs and forcing loved ones down a path of great despair and pain. 

I only have this to say to the 400 idiotic, selfish ppl.

"Use the matter between your ears while whatever is still there. Dun sentence more innocent lives to a death that's worse. They alone cannot prevent drugs from spreading to more gullible people. They need the help of society and it is the death sentence that is the most effective weapon thus far."

The day we take away death sentences will be the day we see even more rampant use of drugs and more broken families. 

Look at each of these 400 idiotic faces. They dun really care about others. Otherwise, they will not be there at all. Human rights can go USA, like Amos. 

Its because of many more humans and their rights that death sentence must stay. 

Pardon the rant. Shallow minds and thoughtlessness gets my goat all the time. 

Stay safe all 

Cheers 

Edited by PSP415
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 1