Organiser says over 400 pax at anti-death penalty protest at Hong Lim Park on Apr. 3, 2022

kobayashiGT

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

death-penalty-protest.jpg

Source: https://mothership.sg/2022/04/death-penalty-protest/

Hundreds reportedly gathered at Speakers' Corner at Hong Lim Park on Sunday (Apr. 3) to protest against the death penalty in Singapore.

This came after Singapore hanged a convicted drug trafficker on Mar. 30, 2022, the first execution in the country since 2019.

Additionally, death row convict Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam recently had his appeal dismissed, which sparked anger among some members of the public.

Protesting against death penalty

The organiser of the protest against the death penalty, which started at 5pm and lasted around two hours, reported over 400 people in attendance.

Protestors held placards with varying signs, all urging the Singapore government to abolish the death penalty.

FPbKjCMaIAAjXPb.jpeg

The protestors also chanted slogans.

277532854_10158991780322749_722510163842

Among those in attendance included Singaporean activists Kirsten Han and Jolovan Wham.

Wham was the organiser for the event.

Speakers' Corner was closed for two years

According to The Straits Times, the Speakers' Corner at Hong Lim Park had been closed since April 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

As stated on the National Parks Board's (NParks') website, applications to hold events at the venue reopened on Mar. 23, 2022 after Singapore announced the gradual easing of Covid-19 restrictions.

Applicants must ensure the size of the crowd does not exceed 950 people at a time, according to the application form hosted on the NParks' website.

Speakers' Corner is the only place in Singapore where protests can legally be held.

It is illegal for protests to be conducted anywhere else in Singapore without a police permit.

Typical eat full no shit out syndrome... diu! 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

Supercharged

In USA, there are a lot of injustice where innocent are caught and passed off for crime culprits simply because the police there are lazy and also biases against certain race and social strata, so yes can understand the campaigns there to prevent killing the innocent framed.

Here, not so much.

And yes some terrible crimes really deserve to eliminate the threat to society permanently.

41 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Unless you offer it pro bono!🤐

Ok for u only

buy 1 get 1 free.. Ai Mai?

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

no need to call names just because others have different views from you

so last time the white population paper protest at Hong Lim Park also idiots? 

• Praise 1

45 minutes ago, SGCMmadman said:

Kirsten n jolovan can fark each other n move to wherever... my opinion, the law is getting softer, make it tougher for a safer singapore, for u, me n our future.

True, these 2 shit stirrers almost involved in every conceivable human rights issue in sg, knn so free go do some charity lah instead of wasting their time on all these human rights stuff, when u no food no drink no shelter, then u ask them simi sai is human rights?

To me, as long as i can vote whoever i want, this is the most important human right.

• Praise 3

The law is correct.

The implementation is crap.

Most of the time, only mules are hung.

Where are big fish?  Where are the end-users?

• Praise 6

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Scion said:

no need to call names just because others have different views from you

so last time the white population paper protest at Hong Lim Park also idiots? 

Me and son were there at the white population paper. Wifey was over at OG. She can't be bother. 

Light Drizzling.😁

Edited by Kopites
  • Haha! 1

When evidence are strong and sentenced to "Hang", don't wait for years to hang them.... :lll._.: 

Wasting resources, time and money going through the processes of appealing and lastly to the President.

Should hang 3 days later. :yuush:

• Praise 2

Y are there still many pinoy supporters of Duterte despite his stand  (think: 🔪 ) on drug handlers
no doubt many innocent end up dead due to mistaken identity / mis-info
but to many pinoy tired of rampant drug abuse and its impact on society,
all these outweigh the backlash from his death squads.
at least in sg, these drug handlers / mules are given a trial
yes, each one might have a sad back story, or reason why they did it
but no one can say they r not aware of sg stance of death penalty (at worse case) for drug trafficking
do anything you want but don't get caught
if not..do the crime, serve the time

• Praise 9

Call a spade a spade.

Idiots who are protesting death sentence is an idiot. To me. I dared to call them "names" because they have ignored the society at large and protested against something that helped deter larger amount of drugs in circulation, if without. 

There are worse name callings in this forum of drivers, rapists, miw, scammers.

What makes this group of idiots so special? 

😂😂😂😂 Rant is like that one. Dun just pick one and ignore all the other idiots. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

Look at the recent cases where our police have to use their weapon on druggies, then its very easy to see how much harm drugs can bring to our country.

We cannot afford any compromise on this.

The parent that killed the toddler and put in fridge for few years.

The young man that escaped death penalty who killed his mum or granny while high in drugs.

These are the two I can recall how drug alter the addict state of mind.

• Praise 8

can you imagine the drug situation in Singapore if Singapore were to abolish the death penalty while Malaysia retains it?

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, RadX said:

Ok for u only

buy 1 get 1 free.. Ai Mai?

Walau, I am not so greedy lah! Can I divert your offer to those near Singapore River?🤐

• Haha! 1

@kobayashiGT absolutely. let's not go down the slippery road of the west by being so soft on crime. in fact i think singapore's punishment is already too soft especially for drivers/rifers/e-bikers who seriously injure or worse kill innocent people. they should be treated under some form of culpable homicide because someone has dies as a result otherwise these people will continue to do what they did.

• Praise 7

Since they are taking such a hard line against "drugs", why not ban alcohol and tobacco too? 

Alcohol - probably more dangerous to health than marijuana overall. It causes so many knock on vices. 

Tobacco - you make others suffer your second hand smoke so how is that fair? 

Come on gahmen, be all-encompassing and even-handed. I support! 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 11

i am 100% for death penalty...esp offences on hardcore drugs such as cocaine, heroin. 

in fact we shd follow zhu guo method, just send to 枪毙. 

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

I don't believe in the death penalty.

Its just too easy, I want them to really suffer

Everyday my MIL visit them in their cell for the rest of their lives.

They will be sorry they ever thought of doing something wrong.

:D

image.png.b8c85ffe7dad3b216c7fb65f52478a30.png

↡ Advertisement