Benz Hui says Singaporeans like to complain, are too knowledgeable for their own good

Ingenius

Ever since settling down in Singapore, Benz Hui has been spending quite a lot of time in his daughter's cafe. 

As such, it's no surprise that he's managed to make some observations on the behaviour of customers here. 

The 73-year-old TVB veteran actor shared some of his insights during an interview with Lianhe Zaobao on Tuesday (April 12). He admitted that he's someone who speaks freely on everything, while others "might not dare" do so.

"Singaporeans have been spoiled by the government, they like to complain," the actor noted candidly in the video interview.

While he acknowledged that "everyone loves to complain", Singaporeans "have a more serious problem". 

"It's fine to complain, but sometimes they're the only ones who think that it's a problem, but it's not really a big issue in reality. That's not very good. Hopefully, people can change [this habit]." 

Benz added that Hong Kongers do complain as well, but they are generally "more reasonable". 

"People in Hong Kong don't enjoy much welfare, so they aren't as spoiled. Singaporeans are too fortunate," he said.

That aside, Benz also speculated that Singaporeans' love for complaining could be exacerbated due to them being "more knowledgeable" compared to Hong Kongers.

Explaining himself, the veteran actor went on to share a conversation with a doctor friend back in Hong Kong who admitted he was "very scared" to see Singaporean patients, as they would often question him on why certain medicines are prescribed. 

"There are good and bad sides [to being knowledgable], but people should still respect doctors. Patients should be patients, and let the doctors be doctors," Benz surmised.

"If you're teaching the doctor how to be a doctor, why do you even need to see one?" he added, acknowledging at the end of the interview that his comments may ruffle the feathers of Singaporeans.

130422_Benz Hui Interview_ZB.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 9

8 minutes ago, Ingenius said:

Ever since settling down in Singapore, Benz Hui has been spending quite a lot of time in his daughter's cafe. 

As such, it's no surprise that he's managed to make some observations on the behaviour of customers here. 

The 73-year-old TVB veteran actor shared some of his insights during an interview with Lianhe Zaobao on Tuesday (April 12). He admitted that he's someone who speaks freely on everything, while others "might not dare" do so.

"Singaporeans have been spoiled by the government, they like to complain," the actor noted candidly in the video interview.

While he acknowledged that "everyone loves to complain", Singaporeans "have a more serious problem". 

"It's fine to complain, but sometimes they're the only ones who think that it's a problem, but it's not really a big issue in reality. That's not very good. Hopefully, people can change [this habit]." 

Benz added that Hong Kongers do complain as well, but they are generally "more reasonable". 

"People in Hong Kong don't enjoy much welfare, so they aren't as spoiled. Singaporeans are too fortunate," he said.

That aside, Benz also speculated that Singaporeans' love for complaining could be exacerbated due to them being "more knowledgeable" compared to Hong Kongers.

Explaining himself, the veteran actor went on to share a conversation with a doctor friend back in Hong Kong who admitted he was "very scared" to see Singaporean patients, as they would often question him on why certain medicines are prescribed. 

"There are good and bad sides [to being knowledgable], but people should still respect doctors. Patients should be patients, and let the doctors be doctors," Benz surmised.

"If you're teaching the doctor how to be a doctor, why do you even need to see one?" he added, acknowledging at the end of the interview that his comments may ruffle the feathers of Singaporeans.

130422_Benz Hui Interview_ZB.jpg

🤣🤣😂😂 So, in conclusion, its still govt's fault. 

What's new. 

😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 9

Turbocharged
53 minutes ago, Ingenius said:

Nothing wrong with asking for more info about prescribed medicine. Some people even seek opinion of another doctor just to be safe. And there are indeed differing opinions even from doctors! That tells us something

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

I do have some experiences in retail industry. I do kind of agree that singaporean customers do like to complaint but hongkie no better. 

seen many nationalities in retail industry, don’t worry sg customers still good. Wait u see those from south asia, u will die c0c stand haha

• Haha! 17

A doctor in Canada said new HK residents that emigrate will tell him I want this or that antibiotics.

My doctor in HK always give me this one.

The doctor in Canada will explain to them they don't need it and too much antibiotics weakens their immune system.

:D

• Haha! 2

Been there...not impressed...won't return at the price paid for the quality and quantity received or lack of. 

His daughter and son in law were polite though. Benz? Wife was a little disappointed after she asked for a wefie...fellow said would return for one but neber...either forgetful or bochup. 

Wife still wanted to tabao their egg tarts...i asked her if she wanted more disappointment...? We spent the money at well deserved M&S, went home with one big bag full of goodies instead 😁

I don't tink the hype will lust...novalty usually wears out easily anyway. He can have more time observing wat he likes to observe and share his nobody cares opinions...he stays at where used to be Lee Bee Wah ward right? No wonder same same...

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged
19 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I do kind of agree that singaporean customers do like to complaint but hongkie no better.

Seconded!

4 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Been there...not impressed...won't return at the price paid for the quality and quantity received or lack of. 

His daughter and son in law were polite though. Benz? Wife was a little disappointed after she asked for a wefie...fellow said would return for one but neber...either forgetful or bochup. 

Wife still wanted to tabao their egg tarts...i asked her if she wanted more disappointment...? We spent the money at well deserved M&S, went home with one big bag full of goodies instead 😁

I don't tink the hype will lust...novalty usually wears out easily anyway. He can have more time observing wat he likes to observe and share his nobody cares opinions...he stays at where used to be Lee Bee Wah ward right? No wonder same same...

This is his 3rd investment.

1st 1 still standing in SpringLeaf.

Lee Bee Wah is well like in her former constituency.

Agree on us complaining too much and not taking personal responsibilities for our own shits.

Too knowledgeable is good what but i think he is saying, in a diplomatic way, that we are D-average students who likes to pretend we are PhD holders (to paraphrase Ronny Chieng).  

But >95% of us took our vaccines unlike the questioning HKers. This I cannot agree.

• Praise 10
  • Haha! 3

33 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

This is his 3rd investment.

1st 1 still standing in SpringLeaf.

Lee Bee Wah is well like in her former constituency.

The springleaf one like not doing so well, not much foot traffic there and lots of competition there. But he got money to burn, lucky daughter.

• Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

The springleaf one like not doing so well, not much foot traffic there and lots of competition there. But he got money to burn, lucky daughter.

There is a Char Chaan Teng(not Benz Hui) on the same row of shops.

I went there twice (with 6 mths gap in btw). Both times also long q.

End up eat BKT. BKT not bad.

I don’t think he got so much $ to burn.

He is not some A list actor

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 2