Benz Hui says Singaporeans like to complain, are too knowledgeable for their own good

Ingenius

52 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

If his daughter cafe does food delivery, maybe he can see who are the people doing it. It’s Singaporeans. 

Singaporeans doing gig economy is never good. Where’s the other jobs with stability and benefits?And it’s not just the flexibility. 

Even Tharman know it 6 years ago and it’s worse now.

https://www.asiaone.com/gig-economy-warrants-closer-look-tharman

Let this idiot stay for another 10 years and he will know the ba wu of chenghu. He will be complaining then.

Ppl are choosing gigs rather than regular job.  Why?

Ppl rather do Grab than be Bus Driver.  Why?

F&B Industry is suffering from workforce shortage.  However, we don't see ppl from gig economy take up these jobs.  Why?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

Benz Hui give chance can?

Besides complaining and voting wisely every election, nothing much we can do you know? It's not like we can riot and start umbrella movement here in SG...😁

Well, you can always organise KPKB session in Hong Lim Park.

• Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Ppl are choosing gigs rather than regular job.  Why?

Ppl rather do Grab than be Bus Driver.  Why?

F&B Industry is suffering from workforce shortage.  However, we don't see ppl from gig economy take up these jobs.  Why?

Pay too low. From Leong Mun Wai:

FOOD DELIVERY RIDER OR WAITER: WHICH JOB IS BETTER?

The recent extensive coverage in the mainstream media of the manpower shortage in the F&B sector brought to the forefront the issue of job security for Singaporean non-PMETs.  Judging from their tone, the reports seem to support more foreign workers in the F&B sector. However, it is puzzling why the 20,000 food delivery riders are not attracted to the 2,000 to 3,000 reported job vacancies in the F&B sector.

Why would local workers prefer to rush from one place to another, sometimes dangerously, as a food delivery rider (FDR) rather than work as waiters in restaurants? Many full-time FDRs told me it was because of the pay. While it may be difficult to earn a $3,000 take-home pay per month as a waiter, this is achievable for full-time FDRs. The more aggressive FDRs can earn even more with longer working hours and seasonal promotional incentives. They also get paid promptly and do not need to wait for payment by the month.   

What has caused the pay difference? It is the presence of foreign workers in the F&B sector but not in the FDR sector, as foreign workers have depressed wages in the F&B sector. The same applies to other sectors of our economy. While this may be good for the profitability of employers and economic growth in the short term, in the long term this leaves Singaporean workers behind. An economic model which does not ensure an equitable distribution of income to the workers is bound to fail in the long term.

Foreign workers can tolerate long hours under poor working conditions, because they want to maximize their earnings before returning to their home countries. On the other hand, based in their own country, Singaporeans wish for better work-life balance.  But they are now forced to work on the same terms as foreigners because foreign workers have become a significant presence in Singapore after decades of liberal foreign manpower policies.   

With low pay and poor job prospects, it is not surprising that locals would shun the F&B sector in preference for the FDR sector, which is “protected” from foreign workers and where locals enjoy higher wages at least for the moment.  Increasingly, Singaporeans are relegated to the low end of the employment chain in some sectors.  Many Singaporeans commented that while the private hire and taxi drivers in the US and Europe are usually immigrants, in Singapore, these drivers are mostly locals! 

This phenomenon of Singaporeans exiting sectors with intense competition from foreign workers and seeking refuge in “protected” sectors is a major concern, because that means many of our key economic sectors are seeing the Singaporean Core shrink. While it is especially worrisome for Singapore’s PMET sectors like engineering, IT, professional services and finance, it is also necessary that we retain a Singaporean Core in the non-PMET sectors for our economy and society to function properly. We need to maintain a Singaporean Core in all sectors and levels of our economy.

More recognition and rewards should be given to tradesmen. The Leader of Opposition, Pritam Singh, raised this “tradesmen” issue many times in Parliament but the government just didn’t get it. I have also argued in Parliament that if we can pay an experienced construction worker better, like $4,000 to $5,000 per month, we should not hesitate to encourage the healthy FDRs to switch to construction. Hong Kong has limits on the number of foreign construction workers and construction workers there are paid quite well.  

If the job market’s mechanism cannot achieve that, the wages and job prospects of tradesmen like skilled construction workers, plumbers, electricians and waiters can be improved with government assistance. The government is preoccupied with parachuting Singaporeans in at the managerial level, but this will not work well if the Singaporeans lack experience in the lower-level work of that sector. Even jobs at the managerial level are under threat from foreign workers.

The government must not let thousands of Singaporeans languish in platform jobs till they lose interest and motivation to be trained in skilled jobs. While plans to provide protection to platform workers with union representation and CPF contribution are good, they do not sufficiently contribute to developing our human resources.  

Hence, the current manpower shortage in the F&B sector is no justification of the foreign worker policy, but instead a reflection of the failure of Singapore’s manpower policy in striking the right balance between local and foreign workers.  

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 6

12 hours ago, Ingenius said:

Ever since settling down in Singapore, Benz Hui has been spending quite a lot of time in his daughter's cafe. 

As such, it's no surprise that he's managed to make some observations on the behaviour of customers here. 

The 73-year-old TVB veteran actor shared some of his insights during an interview with Lianhe Zaobao on Tuesday (April 12). He admitted that he's someone who speaks freely on everything, while others "might not dare" do so.

"Singaporeans have been spoiled by the government, they like to complain," the actor noted candidly in the video interview.

While he acknowledged that "everyone loves to complain", Singaporeans "have a more serious problem". 

"It's fine to complain, but sometimes they're the only ones who think that it's a problem, but it's not really a big issue in reality. That's not very good. Hopefully, people can change [this habit]." 

Benz added that Hong Kongers do complain as well, but they are generally "more reasonable". 

"People in Hong Kong don't enjoy much welfare, so they aren't as spoiled. Singaporeans are too fortunate," he said.

That aside, Benz also speculated that Singaporeans' love for complaining could be exacerbated due to them being "more knowledgeable" compared to Hong Kongers.

Explaining himself, the veteran actor went on to share a conversation with a doctor friend back in Hong Kong who admitted he was "very scared" to see Singaporean patients, as they would often question him on why certain medicines are prescribed. 

"There are good and bad sides [to being knowledgable], but people should still respect doctors. Patients should be patients, and let the doctors be doctors," Benz surmised.

"If you're teaching the doctor how to be a doctor, why do you even need to see one?" he added, acknowledging at the end of the interview that his comments may ruffle the feathers of Singaporeans.

130422_Benz Hui Interview_ZB.jpg

If he is referring to people complaining about service in F&B i understand. Sgreans loves to travel and when compared to overseas, our F&B service really sucks. Appetizers comes after mains and mains dont come at the same time. 

Regarding the medication i think is a good practice. My wife will look up the details online for medicines that she is not familiar with as she wants to know if there are any side effects. While i personally dont really care i will just throw mine to her and have her check it up. lol. 

• Haha! 1

Well, in Singapore, we complain is no wrong, at least we use speech, words, and pen and paper to put forth our grievances.
And in Hong Kong, they throw kerosene or petrol bombs and bricks.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

3 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Pay too low. From Leong Mun Wai:

FOOD DELIVERY RIDER OR WAITER: WHICH JOB IS BETTER?

The recent extensive coverage in the mainstream media of the manpower shortage in the F&B sector brought to the forefront the issue of job security for Singaporean non-PMETs.  Judging from their tone, the reports seem to support more foreign workers in the F&B sector. However, it is puzzling why the 20,000 food delivery riders are not attracted to the 2,000 to 3,000 reported job vacancies in the F&B sector.

Why would local workers prefer to rush from one place to another, sometimes dangerously, as a food delivery rider (FDR) rather than work as waiters in restaurants? Many full-time FDRs told me it was because of the pay. While it may be difficult to earn a $3,000 take-home pay per month as a waiter, this is achievable for full-time FDRs. The more aggressive FDRs can earn even more with longer working hours and seasonal promotional incentives. They also get paid promptly and do not need to wait for payment by the month.   

What has caused the pay difference? It is the presence of foreign workers in the F&B sector but not in the FDR sector, as foreign workers have depressed wages in the F&B sector. The same applies to other sectors of our economy. While this may be good for the profitability of employers and economic growth in the short term, in the long term this leaves Singaporean workers behind. An economic model which does not ensure an equitable distribution of income to the workers is bound to fail in the long term.

Foreign workers can tolerate long hours under poor working conditions, because they want to maximize their earnings before returning to their home countries. On the other hand, based in their own country, Singaporeans wish for better work-life balance.  But they are now forced to work on the same terms as foreigners because foreign workers have become a significant presence in Singapore after decades of liberal foreign manpower policies.   

With low pay and poor job prospects, it is not surprising that locals would shun the F&B sector in preference for the FDR sector, which is “protected” from foreign workers and where locals enjoy higher wages at least for the moment.  Increasingly, Singaporeans are relegated to the low end of the employment chain in some sectors.  Many Singaporeans commented that while the private hire and taxi drivers in the US and Europe are usually immigrants, in Singapore, these drivers are mostly locals! 

This phenomenon of Singaporeans exiting sectors with intense competition from foreign workers and seeking refuge in “protected” sectors is a major concern, because that means many of our key economic sectors are seeing the Singaporean Core shrink. While it is especially worrisome for Singapore’s PMET sectors like engineering, IT, professional services and finance, it is also necessary that we retain a Singaporean Core in the non-PMET sectors for our economy and society to function properly. We need to maintain a Singaporean Core in all sectors and levels of our economy.

More recognition and rewards should be given to tradesmen. The Leader of Opposition, Pritam Singh, raised this “tradesmen” issue many times in Parliament but the government just didn’t get it. I have also argued in Parliament that if we can pay an experienced construction worker better, like $4,000 to $5,000 per month, we should not hesitate to encourage the healthy FDRs to switch to construction. Hong Kong has limits on the number of foreign construction workers and construction workers there are paid quite well.  

If the job market’s mechanism cannot achieve that, the wages and job prospects of tradesmen like skilled construction workers, plumbers, electricians and waiters can be improved with government assistance. The government is preoccupied with parachuting Singaporeans in at the managerial level, but this will not work well if the Singaporeans lack experience in the lower-level work of that sector. Even jobs at the managerial level are under threat from foreign workers.

The government must not let thousands of Singaporeans languish in platform jobs till they lose interest and motivation to be trained in skilled jobs. While plans to provide protection to platform workers with union representation and CPF contribution are good, they do not sufficiently contribute to developing our human resources.  

Hence, the current manpower shortage in the F&B sector is no justification of the foreign worker policy, but instead a reflection of the failure of Singapore’s manpower policy in striking the right balance between local and foreign workers.  

Singaporeans deserve better!
#PSPSG #PSPJobsDebate

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/manpower-food-businesses-offer-higher-pay-appeal-mom-policies-1867716?fbclid=IwAR27iVGSkxZHPGXeMgvNNI6dvwynCw9n7P6qkWr9Q9P1Qs9nRWM41XEvFDc

Don't complain food is getting expensive to raise their salaries.

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Don't complain food is getting expensive to raise their salaries.

I sakport coz I’m in F&B. 🤣

Got money eat restaurant, no money eat at hawker centre like me and @Mustank. 😁

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

11 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I do have some experiences in retail industry. I do kind of agree that singaporean customers do like to complaint but hongkie no better. 

seen many nationalities in retail industry, don’t worry sg customers still good. Wait u see those from south asia, u will die c0c stand haha

Aiya, different country different culture la, he should not compared sg and HK de. So he now stay permanently in sg liao? 

1 minute ago, 13177 said:

Aiya, different country different culture la, he should not compared sg and HK de. So he now stay permanently in sg liao? 

Comparison is good.

Pick up what's good.

Remove what's bad.

• Praise 1

Just now, inlinesix said:

I hope you speak up when ppl complain their food getting expensive.

I saw USA their minimum pay for F&B staff is $15/hr and as customers, we also have to tip at least 15% of the bill though I’m not sure if they get all of it.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

If his daughter cafe does food delivery, maybe he can see who are the people doing it. It’s Singaporeans. 

Singaporeans doing gig economy is never good. Where’s the other jobs with stability and benefits?And it’s not just the flexibility. 

Even Tharman know it 6 years ago and it’s worse now.

https://www.asiaone.com/gig-economy-warrants-closer-look-tharman

Let this idiot stay for another 10 years and he will know the ba wu of chenghu. He will be complaining then.

Even this idiot stay for another 10 years, he might not know the ba wu of chenghu la. From what i see so far, most of these foreigners who came to sg to become PR or citizen, no matter how long they stay here, they still find chenghu very good and like this idiot who always comment sporeans are spoilt and dont know their chenghu is very good blah blah.

• Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Even this idiot stay for another 10 years, he might not know the ba wu of chenghu la. From what i see so far, most of these foreigners who came to sg to become PR or citizen, no matter how long they stay here, they still find chenghu very good and like this idiot who always comment sporeans are spoilt and dont know their chenghu is very good blah blah.

Gong Li gave up her Singapore citizenship. 😁

Just now, 13177 said:

As compared to HK, Sg is much better.

We can KPKB about how expensive HDB is.

But it is substantially cheaper than HK housing.

13 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

I saw USA their minimum pay for F&B staff is $15/hr and as customers, we also have to tip at least 15% of the bill though I’m not sure if they get all of it.

depends on the minimum wage for each state. I watched some documentary before during covid, the wait staff was saying minus here and there. 
Sometimes really tough without tips. Like on a bad weekday night, they maybe earning 20-30 dollars for whole night work. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Agree with the general observation. But I think our grumbling is more passive rather than active compared to other nationalities. 

Yalor...we go HL hold cardboard also need permit...they suka suka occupy any road and throw bricks in HK no need...😁 

Is it because for a full time job as a waiter the take home pay is reduced(about 20%) due to cpf contributions? While being a delivery rider dont have to contribute cpf?

Being delivery rider they can choose what deliveries they like to do. It offers them time flexibility and freedom.

It is a compromise either a full time job or being a delivery rider. For full time they have to stick to a strict working hours while being a delivery rider has flexible working hours w/o supervision. But downside is no cpf, no medical coverage or insurance coverage, they are not covered under workman compensation, etc.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6