VEP for entering Malaysia

Hammerhammer

Turbocharged

The last time I entered Malaysia by Tuas 2nd link was in the year 2017.  So procedures might have changed.

With zero preparation (like Touch N Go card etc) in advance, can I just simply drive my car to checkpoint, keep to the leftmost lane at the Malaysia toll and buy the Touch n  Go card from the toll counter?

Nowadays, the internet makes driving to Malaysia sounds so complicated.  I am now beginning to worry  that I have to reverse all the way to SG if I have not prepared the documents, cards and cash in advance.

Let me know if I missed out anything, or I ended up being honked by all the drivers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
1 hour ago, Albeniz said:

The last time I entered Malaysia by Tuas 2nd link was in the year 2017.  So procedures might have changed.

With zero preparation (like Touch N Go card etc) in advance, can I just simply drive my car to checkpoint, keep to the leftmost lane at the Malaysia toll and buy the Touch n  Go card from the toll counter?

Nowadays, the internet makes driving to Malaysia sounds so complicated.  I am now beginning to worry  that I have to reverse all the way to SG if I have not prepared the documents, cards and cash in advance.

Let me know if I missed out anything, or I ended up being honked by all the drivers.

No. There is no more top up counter at either causeway or tuas. Incredible. If you're stuck, you have to come out, apologise to car behind, put on a smiley face and beg cars around to borrow their cards while you pay them cash. It happened to me last month. 

And if you think can buy the ezlink-touchngo combo card in sg to solve the problem, no. It comes with 2 separate accts, the ezlink wallet can be top up here obviously, but the touchngo account, which has 0 value, can only be top up across the border. Really dumb dumb. But it discourages drivers from going across, so no jams for us. 😀 

Edited by Karoon
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

I just added my Touch & Go card into my Touch & Go eWallet App.

In the app, I tap on the T&G icon, it shows the balance inside my T&G card.

Does it means my this T&G card still valid and can use to pay charges at the customs?

Reason why I am asking is that I understand T&G card will go into invalid/expired mode automatically if the card was inactive for more than 12 months. 

The last use of this T&G card of mine was somewhere around 03/2020, few days before Malaysia started the MCO lockdown and card expiry date (Stated behind the card) is 03/2028.

Thanks.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Karoon said:

No. There is no more top up counter at either causeway or tuas. Incredible. If you're stuck, you have to come out, apologise to car behind, put on a smiley face and beg cars around to borrow their cards while you pay them cash. It happened to me last month. 

And if you think can buy the ezlink-touchngo combo card in sg to solve the problem, no. It comes with 2 separate accts, the ezlink wallet can be top up here obviously, but the touchngo account, which has 0 value, can only be top up across the border. Really dumb dumb. But it discourages drivers from going across, so no jams for us. 😀 

Thanks for sharing.  Looks like now the best way is to get a Malaysian friend to help get a touch n go card, top up the value and bring to us when they come to Sgp.

Or maybe my first trip there will be by bus, buy the card from JB, then come back.

21 hours ago, Sotong1977 said:

Someone selling the NFC version in shopee now. Cheapest is $17.50.

Got so cheap meh... can't find it leh...

54 minutes ago, Blackaccent said:

Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

I just added my Touch & Go card into my Touch & Go eWallet App.

In the app, I tap on the T&G icon, it shows the balance inside my T&G card.

Does it means my this T&G card still valid and can use to pay charges at the customs?

Reason why I am asking is that I understand T&G card will go into invalid/expired mode automatically if the card was inactive for more than 12 months. 

The last use of this T&G card of mine was somewhere around 03/2020, few days before Malaysia started the MCO lockdown and card expiry date (Stated behind the card) is 03/2028.

Thanks.

You're fortunate that your card can still be added into the TnG e-wallet... all my dad's 3 cards can't be added cos I think last use was in Dec 2019... 

55 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Thanks for sharing.  Looks like now the best way is to get a Malaysian friend to help get a touch n go card, top up the value and bring to us when they come to Sgp.

Or maybe my first trip there will be by bus, buy the card from JB, then come back.

Can buy online those that are already topped up lor... just have to pay over the odds lor...

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Albeniz said:

your best bet is to buy the latest touch and go card that is NFC capable from carousell that should come preloaded with enough MYR to get you across either woodlands or Tuas.

Once in malaysia, go to their petrol stations near customs to top up or you can top up yourself by adding the touch and go card to the E wallet and top up your card using the NFC function ( assuming your phone is NFC capable)

• Praise 1

22 hours ago, Sotong1977 said:

Someone selling the NFC version in shopee now. Cheapest is $17.50.

Found it... but no one buy before... not sure bonafide or not... also the expiry date a bit suspicious... it's 2029... I thought the NFC version only launched this year or last year end? So the expiry should be 2031 or 2032? Cos the lifespan of the card is 10 years...

10 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

your best bet is to buy the latest touch and go card that is NFC capable from carousell that should come preloaded with enough MYR to get you across either woodlands or Tuas.

Once in malaysia, go to their petrol stations near customs to top up or you can top up yourself by adding the touch and go card to the E wallet and top up your card using the NFC function ( assuming your phone is NFC capable)

I checked with all selling the NFC version... all sold out... ha ha... or never respond... so that's that...

On 5/17/2022 at 8:37 PM, badlammy said:

Confirm can use. I had 2 cards, only 1 is able to link to TnG app, and can top-up + tap at customs and toll.

The other card that cannot be linked to app, can top-up, but cannot tap to pay at all. But lucky I topped up cuz to refund the value back to the eWallet, need minimum RM100 in the card. Still waiting for refund to come through.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:41 PM, badlammy said:

The source of truth is whether can link to app, if can, you are safe. Doesn't matter whether card has been used for past year or not, or whether reached the expiry date stated.

Both my cards has not been used for 2 years, both expiry dates has not passed, yet can only link 1 of them to the app. So don't bother to figure why.

The invalid card can still top up, but still cannot be used.

Alamak, if only can pin my replies.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
11 hours ago, Albeniz said:

Loads of people selling on carousell. Just pick trustworthy ones based on review. 

• Praise 2

14 hours ago, teomingern said:

Found it... but no one buy before... not sure bonafide or not... also the expiry date a bit suspicious... it's 2029... I thought the NFC version only launched this year or last year end? So the expiry should be 2031 or 2032? Cos the lifespan of the card is 10 years...

I bought mine from another seller earlier. Also expiring in 2029 (see the image from my TnG app). The value shown on the card was after I reload using nfc thru the app.

Screenshot_20220521-121251_TNG eWallet.jpg

• Praise 1

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Sotong1977 said:

I bought mine from another seller earlier. Also expiring in 2029 (see the image from my TnG app). The value shown on the card was after I reload using nfc thru the app.

Screenshot_20220521-121251_TNG eWallet.jpg

Thanks bro! So maybe I should just take the risk... just try... 

EDIT: The seller just told me cannot send from Malaysia to Singapore... so that's that... yikes...

Edited by teomingern
↡ Advertisement