VEP for entering Malaysia

Hammerhammer

2 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

i thought most locals still using the good ole TNG card without smart tag. From what i observe anyway.

My friends... mixed bag. Some TNG, some smart TAG, some RFID.

I think ppl in KL use smarttag more as it is faster.

↡ Advertisement

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

same in penang, esp the office/factory crowd. 

but still hv many more normal TNG lanes than smart TAG lanes. 

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

I see SMART Tag all over the different toll booths, so I guess it's very widespread... but there's a cost to it in terms of having to install another device and I keep reading about battery going flat... or not topping up their cards or what... in the video that I watched, it showed the PayDirect method working either tapping the physical card directly on the card reader at the toll booth or when using the SMART Tag lane... watch below... quite informative... but it seems PayDirect like more available in the Klang Valley (i.e. KL) region... I was re-directed from the NSHW in June due to some road works (Google Maps redirected me), and I passed through one of those many 'mini highways' in KL area and that was when I was able to use PayDirect... but apparently on the Plus NSHW, it's not yet available cos I tapped in at Lima Kedai, tapped out at Simpang Pulai, and then again into Simpang Pulai, crossed the Penang Bridge, then exit at Ayer Keroh, etc... all didn't register PayDirect when I tap my TnG card even though it was linked to my e-wallet... only that particular pair of entry and exit at one of the KL highways that was registered as PayDirect on my app...

1 minute ago, Daniu82 said:

For noob like me, the VEP RFID and TnG thingy already making me confusing. Now still got paydirect, smart tag. 😵

I know right... I also noob until my trip in June... but I still noob... for now you can safely ignore SMART Tag & PayDirect... if your VEP RFID tag + TnG app e-wallet works, then you're set for all toll booths in Malaysia, except perhaps for the Customs Road Charge... that one I still can't figure out if can use VEP RFID to pay the RM20 or not... I remember a bro here said that he could pay using his VEP RFID tag... I tried to find videos of the RFID reader at the Malaysia Customs at Tuas or Woodlands side but nothing till date...

Just now, teomingern said:

I see SMART Tag all over the different toll booths, so I guess it's very widespread... but there's a cost to it in terms of having to install another device and I keep reading about battery going flat... or not topping up their cards or what... in the video that I watched, it showed the PayDirect method working either tapping the physical card directly on the card reader at the toll booth or when using the SMART Tag lane... watch below... quite informative... but it seems PayDirect like more available in the Klang Valley (i.e. KL) region... I was re-directed from the NSHW in June due to some road works (Google Maps redirected me), and I passed through one of those many 'mini highways' in KL area and that was when I was able to use PayDirect... but apparently on the Plus NSHW, it's not yet available cos I tapped in at Lima Kedai, tapped out at Simpang Pulai, and then again into Simpang Pulai, crossed the Penang Bridge, then exit at Ayer Keroh, etc... all didn't register PayDirect when I tap my TnG card even though it was linked to my e-wallet... only that particular pair of entry and exit at one of the KL highways that was registered as PayDirect on my app...

No installation is required for SMARTTAG.

https://shopee.com.my/MaxTag-Smart-Tag-Touch-n-Go-Toll-Basic-Pack-i.95251884.1563610554?sp_atk=dd553b45-8abc-4d82-8b04-6a87869dc1dd&xptdk=dd553b45-8abc-4d82-8b04-6a87869dc1dd

It is a 9v battery that can be bought anywhere.

For TnG top-up, the safest bet usually is Shell station.

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

https://shopee.com.my/MaxTag-Smart-Tag-Touch-n-Go-Toll-Basic-Pack-i.95251884.1563610554?sp_atk=dd553b45-8abc-4d82-8b04-6a87869dc1dd&xptdk=dd553b45-8abc-4d82-8b04-6a87869dc1dd

Woah! Pretty expensive eh... our IU better leh... wired and don't need to worry to charge battery...

Just now, teomingern said:

Woah! Pretty expensive eh... our IU better leh... wired and don't need to worry to charge battery...

In Msia, you want to avoid putting anything that is visible from outside of the car.  That's including SMARTTAG.

WIth 9v battery, i think it lasted at least 2 years.

If daily use, maybe 1 year.  No issue la.

Somemore, if need to use TnG card for car park, just take the entire device and tap on reader.  No need to take out car.

• Praise 2

4 minutes ago, teomingern said:

good for frequent travellers

for those who can only do road trip during school holidays... gotta consider if worth it. 

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, teomingern said:

smart tag is a commercial, optional product. Spoil liao can still use TNG card to pay toll

our IU is a legal requirement. Spoil liao still must pay money to replace if after warranty. 

• Haha! 2

This website says VEP RFID tag can be used to pay the RM20 Road Charge at either border crossing:

https://www.singsaver.com.sg/blog/vep-singapore-to-malaysia#:~:text=This VEP-RFID tag can,Causeway or Tuas Second Link.

The official JPJ website FAQ says only can use TnG card to pay:

https://jpj.my/vep/rc_faqs.htm

On another part of the website, it says can use VEP RFID to pay the Road Charge:

https://vep.jpj.gov.my/#/rc

I don't know lar... blur already...

Edited by teomingern
  • Haha! 2

I finally found a photo of the Malaysia Customs booth and it shows that there is a RFID reader installed... but cos it's not installed left enough (where my RFID tag is located), I think it couldn't read by tag... rats... so must really squeeze all the way to the right to get the tag inside the read zone???

singapore_cars_johor_border_reopen_01042

Edited by teomingern

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

To be more precise, he needs to scroll down the app till he sees "TOLL" icon.

There are 3 option.  Click on 'RFID".

It is auto activated for VEP RFID,   24 hours after validation of VEP RFID tag's 8 alphanumeric no via the official VEP website.  

If account is not linked, mostly due to use of passport no (instead of NRIC) to register TNG ewallet, the VEP RFID tag won't be issued.

• Praise 2

43 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Between the two, it is no contest for me. I already kpkb about the  new high tech gigantic IU unit LTA is insisting on installing on my dashboard, adding a fugly smart tag is a no no.

The issue with MY system is they have no money to install camera at each toll booth, unlike in Singapore, where we have no need for gantry and use cameras to take picture of vehicles with insufficient money in their cashcard.  

Both our ERP and MY system are using RFID technology, if I am not wrong.

676DAD41-611C-4FF8-8034-6F65B67BEB76.jpeg

F3739D89-42DE-4A69-AE1B-5FB060CF6A73.jpeg

16 hours ago, AndrewLee72 said:

Hi guys, nob question. My parents in law passport expiry date April 5th 2023.

Can they go in MY this Dec 10th ? 1 day trip. Hahaha

Officially minimum 6 months. All My airports go nuts on this. Actually the system throws an error on the screen as soon as the passport is scanned by officers. These errors are sometimes (or most of the times?!) ignored by road side officers. You can try your luck or if you are caught, you can even reqeust officer to allow this time ONLY. This also happens. Worst case you need to send back your parents from there or drop them back.

All the best.

• Praise 1

24 minutes ago, teomingern said:

I finally found a photo of the Malaysia Customs booth and it shows that there is a RFID reader installed... but cos it's not installed left enough (where my RFID tag is located), I think it couldn't read by tag... rats... so must really squeeze all the way to the right to get the tag inside the read zone???

singapore_cars_johor_border_reopen_01042

From the videos I have watched, a lot of issues arise coz the tag is pasted too near metal surfaces (it interferes with the reading).

The instruction is to paste it on the left headlamp and at least 5cm away from any metal parts, hence windscreen may be better location.

This one is not in accordance with the instruction provided.

DD30BD05-E663-4B3C-9C12-F901A5AAB088.jpeg

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 2

4 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Between the two, it is no contest for me. I already kpkb about the  new high tech gigantic IU unit LTA is insisting on installing on my dashboard, adding a fugly smart tag is a no no.

The issue with MY system is they have no money to install camera at each toll booth, unlike in Singapore, where we have no need for gantry and use cameras to take picture of vehicles with insufficient money in their cashcard.  

Both our ERP and MY system are using RFID technology, if I am not wrong.

676DAD41-611C-4FF8-8034-6F65B67BEB76.jpeg

F3739D89-42DE-4A69-AE1B-5FB060CF6A73.jpeg

SMART TAG uses infra-red

ERP use some kind of short-range radio frequency

VEP/TnG RFID use RFID

All 3 are different.

Since Msia has gantry, no need camera unless it is a Lambo.

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

From the videos I have watched, a lot of issues arise coz the tag is pasted too near metal surfaces (it interferes with the reading).

The instruction is to paste it on the left headlamp and at least 5cm away from any metal parts, hence windscreen may be better location.

This one is not in accordance with the instruction provided.

DD30BD05-E663-4B3C-9C12-F901A5AAB088.jpeg

My one is pasted by the official VEP fitment centre at Lima Kedai leh... surely they know what to do right? Mine is pasted in the middle of the headlamp I think...

Then those cars with those modern super narrow slits for headlamps how to fit 5 cm away from metal surface? Would be impossible for them... Ha Ha... 

Edited by teomingern
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1