VEP for entering Malaysia

Hammerhammer

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Recently, I learned from a fren to hold TnG smart tag in the middle of windscreen.

The gantry opens up faster than smart tag sitting on dashboard 

that's what i do too - hold it up against the windscreen, in the center. or next to the center mirror.

if i sit the smart tag on dashboard, it often doesn't register at all

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

20 minutes ago, AndrewLee72 said:

Hi guys, nob question. My parents in law passport expiry date April 5th 2023.

Can they go in MY this Dec 10th ? 1 day trip. Hahaha

officially no. 

u can try your luck but very risky esp since they are presumably elderly.

Unless you really don't like your in-laws 😁

• Haha! 3

34 minutes ago, AndrewLee72 said:

Hi guys, nob question. My parents in law passport expiry date April 5th 2023.

Can they go in MY this Dec 10th ? 1 day trip. Hahaha

Why didn't you make passport earlier?  I made mine in Sept, ready for collection within a few days.  From application to collection of passport only a month.

@Philipkee Haha good question. We renewed our. Mine. Mrs n my 2 kids. Collected Oct 2022. Inlaws de was presume havent expire. They stay with my BIL. Sekali recently he took a look , Tada! Expiring Apr 2023.

Dec 10th de KSL trip too bad they cant join. Booked a 3 bedroom apartment there. Ok lah. So we proceed. 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, therock said:

These days want to build tunnels and channels and many big ticket projects..

The VEP is small fry and has much less margin for them to make side cash 

however in the long run I can see the T&G evolving 

cashless is coming 

Yes, digitalization is everywhere and will only accelerate.  Think MY is ahead of us in cashless payments.  Even stalls in their wet market accepts TNG payment. 

• Praise 1

On 11/25/2022 at 10:54 AM, Tohto said:

Just registered my VEP yesterday and was surprised everything was fast and smooth. Received the approved email within the same day.

Yes and with the postal option, i decided to do it. It is not difficult to navigate the website but it is also not as friendly as SG online government services supported by our Singpass. 

Don't think MY authority cares about the inconvenience of us changing car every 2-3 years. But after doing it once, it is really not difficult.  Bearable if my tag works on my next road trip up north and I can zip pass all the toll booths.

• Praise 2

15 hours ago, Silverkris said:

Anyone really pasted the VEP tag over their headlamp as requested by Malaysia?

Mine is pasted on my headlamp... but it was done by the fitment centre then in 2019... it was a temporary fitment centre with tents and all near I can't remember where now... but mine doesn't seem to work with the RFID payment system... so now got to find a fitment centre and get it checked... waste time but worth it if it works thereafter...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

15 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Currently, RFID is not working properly for a lot of cars.

I don’t think the issue is resolved 

Yeah lor... mine doesn't work properly... cannot be detected by the RFID reader... still got to use the TnG card to pay Road Charge + Toll at Tuas side...

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Mine is pasted on my headlamp... but it was done by the fitment centre then in 2019... it was a temporary fitment centre with tents and all near I can't remember where now... but mine doesn't seem to work with the RFID payment system...

Deleted

Edited by inlinesix

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

Not detected?
The receiver is in the middle of the lane. Must align nicely

Yeah leh... at the Customs, the gantry won't open cos cannot deduct the RM20 from my TnG e-wallet cos presumably can't detect my VEP RFID... then at the Toll Booth after the Tuas side Malaysia Customs like don't have MyRFID lane... and then at the next Toll Booth which leads into NSHW, I entered the MyRFID lane... same problem... I don't know about align nicely... I reversed and entered the lane again but still cannot... honestly I didn't even notice the receiver... but there was a monitor on my left which seem to say that cannot detect the RFID or something like that... it was in Malay so I didn't understand it...

I found this on YouTube... not sure if it applies to me but I would sure try the next time... seems like the Malaysians also got lots of problems... I finally realise the detector is above you at the roof... so it's quite stupid that the coverage doesn't cover the entire lane but only part of it, perhaps to prevent interference from other tags on the neighbouring lanes... if so then this is a really lousy implementation...

• Haha! 2

5 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Yeah lor... mine doesn't work properly... cannot be detected by the RFID reader... still got to use the TnG card to pay Road Charge + Toll at Tuas side...

I think it is far for reader.

Previously, my fren Triton has no issue with RFID. Somemore, it is pasted on the inside of the windscreen 

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

I think it is far for reader.

Previously, my fren Triton has no issue with RFID. Somemore, it is pasted on the inside of the windscreen 

From the videos from this channel, it seems like it is a very simple alignment issue... I was previously completely unaware of the location of the RFID reader at the toll booths... now that I know... I must try again to align and see if it works... still no idea about the Customs Road Charge payment... if the VEP RFID would work or not...

Hi noob here (nvr driven into MY), I just received my VEP RFID tag. I also bought a TnG with wireless feature. I got some questions.

1) Which headlight (left or right) to paste it on? 

2) With the RFID tag, where is the money deducted when I get to the custom?

3) I just linked my TnG card to the TnG e-wallet, if the card got no money but the e-wallet got money, will the charges be deducted from the e-wallet instead?

Any things I still need to know or take note if I want to drive to MY? Please enlighten me. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

Hi noob here (nvr driven into MY), I just received my VEP RFID tag. I also bought a TnG with wireless feature. I got some questions.

3) I just linked my TnG card to the TnG e-wallet, if the card got no money but the e-wallet got money, will the charges be deducted from the e-wallet instead?

Any things I still need to know or take note if I want to drive to MY? Please enlighten me. Thanks!

1. My suggestion. Take it at your own risk. Paste it on top middle of windscreen. Less problem not able to detect it.

2. Link rfid to TnG wallet.

3. Not all toll deduct from card. e-wallet => card => call for help 

20 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

1. Usually pasted on the left side, but paste as close towards the centre of the car as possible. I think paste on right side also ok... watch the 2 videos I posted above...

2. Money is deducted from your e-wallet in the TnG app. You need to link your TnG RFID tag or VEP RFID tag to the e-wallet in your TnG app.

3. It will deduct straight from your e-wallet only if the toll card reader supports PayDirect. Your TnG card doesn't need to have any money inside as long as the PayDirect system is in force as it will simply deduct from your e-wallet on the TnG app, provided you linked your TnG card to the app. I am not sure if PayDirect is available or not in Johor but some users here say it is. I haven't been able to use PayDirect in Johor so far... I only ued it in KL on the highways there...

NOTE: don't paste both the TnG RFID tag and the VEP RFID tag on your car at the same time... it will confuse the RFID reader I think... not sure if double deduction will occur though... hahaha...

Edited by teomingern
↡ Advertisement