VEP for entering Malaysia

Hammerhammer

2 hours ago, Shibadog said:

i don't see a pressing need to do it now, especially when they have not made this a requirement i.e. cannot enter/leave Msia without it. 

little (or no) upside to do it. 

too many risks involved. Potential loss of personal data, future need to change car or change windscreen

Just sharing my experience.

1. I pasted my VEP tag on my headlamp as I have pretty ass luck when it comes to windscreen.

2. Sell car, just tear up the tag and terminate on TNG apps. There is a deactivation button.

3. The rest (buying a used car with VEP registered, etc), I supposed you can email the VEP team, they are slow to respond but they do eventually.

4. Information security? I too have concerns but I guess there are riskier things in life. Ie. I totally avoid using my credit cards in Malaysia these days (unless in big establishments) and staying in unknown boutique hotels, etc. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

4 hours ago, Shibadog said:

genuine questions

what happens if u sell your car? will u cancel the VEP?

what happens if u buy a used car that has been registered under VEP but the previous seller didn't  cancel it?

what happens if u need to change windscreen (or headlamp) with the VEP tag on it? is it easy to get a replacement?

1. Sell car should cancel your VEP out of consideration for the buyer...

2. Then you've got to contact the previous owner to get him to cancel it... which may be impossible so you likely have to write to JPJ to ask for help...

3. Same as 2 lor...

On 12/4/2022 at 10:18 AM, GoodCar said:

Hi guys,

Need advice

As I only go up north like once or twice a year, is it a must to get the VEP?

Can we still go in using the TNG card way?

Find it strange that we have to give so much private info to another sovereign country.

Thank you

You do exactly the same thing when you allow them to scan your passport plus fill in the immigration card details to wherever you're flying to... what's the difference?

You definitely don't have to get the VEP now... there's no requirement but you're encouraged to make it easier once it becomes compulsory... note that the tag lasts 5 years only... have to renew 6 months before it expires... you will have to use the TnG card to get in without the VEP tag... there's no other way...

Edited by teomingern

2 hours ago, teomingern said:

You do exactly the same thing when you allow them to scan your passport plus fill in the immigration card details to wherever you're flying to... what's the difference?

You definitely don't have to get the VEP now... there's no requirement but you're encouraged to make it easier once it becomes compulsory... note that the tag lasts 5 years only... have to renew 6 months before it expires... you will have to use the TnG card to get in without the VEP tag... there's no other way...

My friend refused to sign up as he has many outstanding unpaid  traffic fines and speeding tickets. Previously, you can just change car or number plate, with VEP, you may not be able to hide anymore.

He is praying VEP will never hit critical mass, otherwise many people will need to pay $1k to change VRN to start on a clean slate.  

14 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

My friend refused to sign up as he has many outstanding unpaid  traffic fines and speeding tickets. Previously, you can just change car or number plate, with VEP, you may not be able to hide anymore.

He is praying VEP will never hit critical mass, otherwise many people will need to pay $1k to change VRN to start on a clean slate.  

Aiyoh... then he scared police cos he did the wrong thing mah... change VRN? Vehicle Registration Number? Meaning license plate?

12 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

The Vehicle Entry Permit initiative was meant to curb the issue of unpaid summons and reduce traffic offences by foreign vehicles but it has yet to be implemented.

https://paultan.org/2022/09/30/millions-of-traffic-summons-still-not-paid-77-of-fines-on-singaporean-cars-not-settled-johor-police/

Yup... it's their right to enforce Singaporeans obeying their laws in the land...

46 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

For fines, they can have road block too. It happened quite a few times just at the borders. Best is to pay fine when they give heavy discounts and call it a day. Should not live in fear like this.

• Praise 2

vep is coined to recover summons

vep is coined to track stolen cars

vep is coined to help spore cars to travel smoothly in highway with vep-rfid payment

but most importantly ... vep is business opportunities 

now can scrap and move on to vep 2.0

:grin:

• Haha! 6

18 hours ago, teomingern said:

1. Sell car should cancel your VEP out of consideration for the buyer...

2. Then you've got to contact the previous owner to get him to cancel it... which may be impossible so you likely have to write to JPJ to ask for help...

3. Same as 2 lor...

In principle, yes on cancelling it for the next owner in consideration.

In reality, easier said than done. VEP website can spool fr the moment one sold the car till dunno when still spooling. Haha. Can email JPJ to have all sorts of dumb n dumber answers fr them. Dun forget this is a Najib silly proj targeted at our law abiding citizens. Tell us to sit we scared until only dare to squat.

Simple...just tear that bloody thing off. I bet JPJ have that records or really diligent enough to retrieve whatever outdated records. Keep a copy of vehicle log card bearing current owner name to tally n move on that the VEP is no longer tag to the prev owner. 

Scared of VEP then dun go in lor. 

Edited by Unfazed
  • Haha! 2

38 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Yup... it's their right to enforce Singaporeans obeying their laws in the land...

Yes n only law abiding "us" believe such half baked implementation. Haha...

• Haha! 1

52 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Aiyoh... then he scared police cos he did the wrong thing mah... change VRN? Vehicle Registration Number? Meaning license plate?

Yes. 

• Shocked 1

21 minutes ago, Steptronic said:

For fines, they can have road block too. It happened quite a few times just at the borders. Best is to pay fine when they give heavy discounts and call it a day. Should not live in fear like this.

Agree, just pay up and be done with it.

• Praise 1

I don't have VEP because applied before covid, they never respond until now [laugh]

But then also must have TNG card to drive in, so it says. Question is, where to purchase this before going into malaysia. All the purchasing places are in malaysia, so it seems like catch-22, isn't it? You need TNG to go in and buy TNG?? This part I don't understand.

Hardly ever drive into malaysia, usually i just rent a car and solve all the problem.

7 hours ago, Unfazed said:

Yes n only law abiding "us" believe such half baked implementation. Haha...

In malaysia, everything can settle by friendly talk and appeal with reason [laugh] Not like here, the parking warden want to close one eye and help you also cannot

9 hours ago, Voodooman said:

The Vehicle Entry Permit initiative was meant to curb the issue of unpaid summons and reduce traffic offences by foreign vehicles but it has yet to be implemented.

https://paultan.org/2022/09/30/millions-of-traffic-summons-still-not-paid-77-of-fines-on-singaporean-cars-not-settled-johor-police/

this is the official reason used for press release.

the likely real reason is to line cronies pockets while getting a nice commission. 

notice how the Rm20 Road Charge was quickly and suddenly implemented when the VEP talk was still in early stages? and how this RC is only implemented at the land border with SG as this will maximize collections. From what i've heard, the Rm20 is split between the contractor and JPJ. Same for the AES fines. 

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

this is the official reason used for press release.

the likely real reason is to line cronies pockets while getting a nice commission. 

notice how the Rm20 Road Charge was quickly and suddenly implemented when the VEP talk was still in early stages? and how this RC is only implemented at the land border with SG as this will maximize collections. From what i've heard, the Rm20 is split between the contractor and JPJ. Same for the AES fines. 

No doubt the project got moving coz there is money to be made by cronies. It however doesn't mean that there is no real need to plug the gap. 

↡ Advertisement