Breeding Independence In Your Child - "Old Enough" A Jap TV show

therock

https://mothership.sg/2022/04/old-enough-netflix/?fbclid=IwAR3GRG-E4yooJr1Ri9hjRBVwgSBC84jTTqAG0D0nO1Cb_IZHU4jNtlbi6Hs

Some folks were aghast, but I just began watching this and whilst it's good entertainment, I also feel it's quite real... I was tasked to do more as a child, even helped my grandfather deliver good with the men on their deliver route around his town in M'sia...

How old is old enough? Now that's hard to say, but I think 5-6 might be an age to try some stuff, and in primary for sure..

Old Enough! is an iconic Japanese show which started in the late 80s that features children running errands alone.

This very basic formula has seen worldwide success.

In fact, CNA did something similar a while back.

Now the show is streaming on Netflix, readily available for Western audiences.

The combination of a different culture, country and time period has resulted in quite the reactions to the show.

Here is a brief snippet of the show on Netflix's Twitter.

The child featured in this episode is 2 years and 9 months old.

Some of the comments expressed incredulity at the prospect of children running errands alone.

"Plus the long term negative effects of the child. It’s all “fun” and “interesting” for us to watch but a child at that age shouldn’t be “made” to do this."

"Ummm. How is abandoning a tiny child to cross a busy road wholesome?"

"It’s crazy that they just let them walk around in public. In the US we take public safety seriously and place restrictions and supervisions on these sorts of dangerous “people” and I am thankful for that."

Their concerns were quickly countered by other Twitter users.

Japan's built environment is such that people are actually able to live and walk in their communities without instantly being turned into roadkill by useless oversized metal death machines (trucks)

"It’s part of our culture to give kids sense of responsibility and teach them kindness of the people in the community who would help them. I have done it, all kids know Japan do 🙄"

"Japan is much more safer and the toddlers have been supervised by the camera crew the hole time. Cities are built for safety. Moreover the hole city/town watched the kids when they walked around so they felt safe, don‘t worry."

SoraNews highlighted the concerns expressed in the tweet but noted that the toddlers were very much monitored the whole way.

"Months of preparation go into each child’s solo journey, with routes inspected by staff and parents to make sure it’s safe in regards to road traffic and no fushinsha (suspicious person) reports have been made in the area."

image.png.b33b8f368c7a8404e72ef971a042e0cd.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Have been watching it on and off for many years when they sometimes show it on wakuwaku. Netflix has acquired a season of 20 episodes. Very nice. 

Good to build up their confidence from young. 

I have seen Japanese kids as young as 2 to 3 years old feeding themselves. It's their way of bringing up their children. 👍

Japanese Pri school kids usually walk to school themselves. 

And also they take turns to do classroom chores and also even to serve food during school lunches in some schools. 

• Praise 1

Anyway I think u can teach independence in different ways.

But in Singapore where families are all so close together, the cost of living and strong family bonds leading to multi generational homes, the independence of living alone is postponed to late in life. And for most, usually you would be living with a partner then. 

the japs ... i am always intrigued ...

they have the best and worst attitude / behaviour on different things ... hehe

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Breeding and independence is an oxymoron. Independence come from leaving them alone to make decision for themselves. U see the kids of those rental flats all more independent than kids who live in condo. Hard truth

• Praise 1

Japanese drivers have the culture to watch out and give priority to young kids crossing the road - which is probably the most hazardous part of the trip. Kids typically wear bright yellow hat or outfit to be easily spotted.

When I visited Tokyo, drivers will give me a nod when I wave them past instead of crossing in front of them. But yes Japan is a weird society where you find the most extreme of good and evil.

• Praise 1

It is my dream to buy one of the yellow school bags for my kiddo... soon 

The originals cost $$$$, but i'll get an OEM...

• Praise 1

What surprised me is not only a Japanese 4 year old can go to the shopping centre and buy things

but a 4 year old can read Japanese!

:D 

• Haha! 1

Shows how safe Japan is

:D

In USA people kidnap kids in the playground even when their parents and watching them. 

32 minutes ago, therock said:

It is my dream to buy one of the yellow school bags for my kiddo... soon 

The originals cost $$$$, but i'll get an OEM...

I wanted to get one of these in Japan for my kid... until I checked the price. It's a very well made leather bag nonetheless.

↡ Advertisement