Is Standalone GPS obsoleting?

Chuapcd

used to hav 1 (papago), and even bought e apk when it 1st launched., but tat was years back.

Nowadays, its waze (google maps as backup) when i hav data, and Maps.Me (HERE We Go as backup) when i dun hav data (preloaded maps)

Call me paranoid for having so mny or backups, but i had e unfortunate exp of having my oni standalone GPS (papago) hangup on me and not function at e worst possible time in MY....when i got lost. Luckily i manage to get my bearings after driving ard abit and when i found familiar landmarks/road signs, e GPS starts working again....-.-ll

Edited by zipping
  • Praise 1

On 4/18/2022 at 9:43 PM, Wildfaye29 said:

Last time in the 90s, i used to buy a new bus guide every year!

who knows what is a bus guide nowadays!?

Me me!! 🙋‍♂️

Before the Internet era, I can only rely on street directory (yes I bought them even though I am not driving then) and bus guide to get me to my designation. 

And at that MRT network was just NS and EW line, everything's so simple. A monthly concession card is the next best thing to have, offering real affordable travel on public transport. Sadly, I can't say the same for now.

• Praise 4

On 4/19/2022 at 12:28 PM, zipping said:

used to hav 1 (papago), and even bought e apk when it 1st launched., but tat was years back.

Nowadays, its waze (google maps as backup) when i hav data, and Maps.Me (HERE We Go as backup) when i dun hav data (preloaded maps)

Call me paranoid for having so mny or backups, but i had e unfortunate exp of having my oni standalone GPS (papago) hangup on me and not function at e worst possible time in MY....when i got lost. Luckily i manage to get my bearings after driving ard abit and when i found familiar landmarks/road signs, e GPS starts working again....-.-ll

The trick is to get a SIM card that works also in Malaysia, then switch on your mobile phone map for navigation.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, awhtc said:

The trick is to get a SIM card that works also in Malaysia, then switch on your mobile phone map for navigation.

get a TPG line as spare, free 1GB monthly can use in Malaysia. Hassle free also. 

Dear folks,

I am driving an old bread and butter car and have an old cheapo standalone Garmin GPS unit which I bought 15 years ago.

I am starting to drive more frequently to Malaysia recently but I don't have data mobile plan there, so I can only rely on that old Garmin for navigation.

However, this GPS is kind of obsolete as it can't recognize new roads and has no info about the recently-developed places of interest in Malaysia.

Thinking of:

1. updating the Garmin Malaysia map (but is this even possible in the first place for a 15 year old unit?).

2. Buy a more modern standalone GPS unit. 

3. Get a cheap mobile data plan in Malaysia and then use the App in phone to navigate.

okok. I am thinking of option 2.  Any suggestions? Please don't ask me to change car.

Edited by Albeniz
  • Haha! 2

Google maps can download offline maps of any country you want.

Only thing is cannot tell you the traffic status, which your 15 years standalone GPS can’t do so anyway.

• Praise 4

Twincharged
5 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Dear folks,

I am driving an old bread and butter car and have an old cheapo standalone Garmin GPS unit which I bought 15 years ago.

I am starting to drive more frequently to Malaysia recently but I don't have data mobile plan there, so I can only rely on that old Garmin for navigation.

However, this GPS is kind of obsolete as it can't recognize new roads and has no info about the recently-developed places of interest in Malaysia.

Thinking of:

1. updating the Garmin Malaysia map (but is this even possible in the first place for a 15 year old unit?).

3. Get a cheap mobile data plan in Malaysia and then use the App in phone to navigate.

okok. I am thinking of option 2.  Any suggestions? Please don't ask me to change car.

Wah, you are a dinosaur! 🤣

what do you use in Singapore? Should be your phone right? ThenSame thing lor. 
how much can extra roaming charges be. Mai kiam kanna la. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

14 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Dear folks,

Thinking of:

No Waze in Malaysia confirm GG

@Albeniz You can get a standalone Carplay LCD screen (basically just an LCD screen) to pair your iPhone or Google Phone too. Benefit is the screen is bigger than your phone, and you dont need to keep placing the phone in the holder.

Google Maps now allows you to download offline maps, so u can download the whole of Malaysia if desired. But this will lack real-time traffic data, which require data connection to download. 

One example:

https://www.lazada.sg/products/2022-upgraded-wireless-carplay-android-auto-7-ips-car-radio-portable-multimedia-player-stereo-touchscreen-with-wireless-mirroring-mic-bluetooth-fmt-usb-mp4-music-for-universal-vehicle-quick-installation-i2165460779-s12351805560.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:12266637327!139554778559!!!pla-293946777986!c!293946777986!12351805560!504894886&gclid=CjwKCAjwgaeYBhBAEiwAvMgp2j_ucbjGgI7eTLvsPXYnBS6myuj80dLAtR06p5BWRyHCjAgpuf7h0RoCxB4QAvD_BwE

Official licenced product is called Coral vision:

https://carplay.tw/collections/可攜式-carplay 

Edited by Ceecookie
  • Praise 3

No 1 is free so I would try that first.

Nothing to lose but the latest maps are about 2 years old

:D

3. Get the $8 plan 5GB of data can use in MY

POI use Google, traffic update use WAZE 

Its a life saver. My MY colleague was on the highway and WAZE alert accident.

He slowed down and 2 seconds later he saw a pile up.

If no alert he will would have been in the pile up.

https://www.redone.com.sg/postpaid/amazing_plan

14 hours ago, Albeniz said:

Dear folks,

Thinking of:

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2

14 hours ago, Albeniz said:

1. Garmin have not updated SG/MY map for few years, likely they have given up these Standalone GPS here. last time still got these malfreemap or something, don't know still alive or not.

2. New device? unless you can find one with map updates available

3. Just get some data plan, i got one with maxis, sim+1 yr validity+20GB cost about rm70++, good enough for my usage and tethering for family. think there are cheaper ones.

Ok I like you still keep a standalone GPS, but my main use was for my pre-covid taiwan trips, where I still can find recent map updates.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

@Albeniz 

Go get a mobile plan autoroam internet in Malaysia. I'm using Redone as I frequent JB once a week. Cheap and reliable. Many ppl are on this since borders were opened. 

• Praise 3

4 minutes ago, Zxcvb said:

@Albeniz 

Go get a mobile plan autoroam internet in Malaysia. I'm using Redone as I frequent JB once a week. Cheap and reliable. Many ppl are on this since borders were opened. 

Yes, many eSIM plans to choose from, everything can be done online. Pay via TnG. 

Faster and better coverage than local telco roaming plans.

• Praise 3

On 8/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, Albeniz said:

Dear folks,

Thinking of:

Malsing map is still free, but for a 15 years old set, u might have issue updating it. Last update in July MSM 2022 NT v8.63. Garmin has stopped selling car GPS in Singapore, so can forgot about getting a new set. I still have one in my car maybe about 6-7 years old. The easiest way is to use Waze with data. As mentioned TPG aka Simba got 1GB free for their $10 plan. or any telco can easily add 1GB for $5. 

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/

Edited by Dafansu
  • Praise 2

9 hours ago, Ahwhye said:

1. Garmin have not updated SG/MY map for few years, likely they have given up these Standalone GPS here. last time still got these malfreemap or something, don't know still alive or not.

2. New device? unless you can find one with map updates available

3. Just get some data plan, i got one with maxis, sim+1 yr validity+20GB cost about rm70++, good enough for my usage and tethering for family. think there are cheaper ones.

Ok I like you still keep a standalone GPS, but my main use was for my pre-covid taiwan trips, where I still can find recent map updates.

Malsing map still exist, last updated in July MSM 2022 NT v8.63. Garmin has stopped selling in SG though still available in other US countries. Wrote in to them about 2-3 years back to enquire. 

Easiest and cheapest option is to get a local data line and use it.

Don't waste money paying for another Garmin.

↡ Advertisement