Car key fob battery

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

I was almost locked out of my car after dinner and tried multiple times before the key finally worked. I also realised that the key in my fob is a dummy key and I cannot unlock my car door using the traditional key lol. 

I've had to replace the CR2032 battery twice in less than one year of ownership. The previous one was a Mitsubishi branded one which lasted slightly more than three months. Right now I'm using this cheap $1 Maxell one which I bought from a random convenience shop that was still open last night.

Three questions:

1. How long does the battery in your key fob usually last? 
  2. What brands to use for car key? Duracell? Energizer?
  3. Should I be concerned that the mechanical key inside my fob is a dummy one?

1.thumb.jpeg.5a9878558347e3818625efe4771ad208.jpeg

2.thumb.jpeg.cef7b30f214cb8d343c5141ec90c0d41.jpeg

3.thumb.jpeg.74843571975932562e888ee969a37f88.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Three questions:

How long does the battery in your key fob usually last? 

more than 5 years

What brands to use for car key? Duracell? Energizer?

chapalang

Should I be concerned that the mechanical key inside my fob is a dummy one?

i never use that metal key before, I also want to know what is the purpose of that key

• Haha! 3

I used a so called branded Phillip and it lasted me around 6 months. 

Currently using a no brand from DIY shop still working fine after 1year. 

As for the key! Is it original? If so than it is very important. Once remote batt flat out it can be use to open the door manually. Subsequently use it to ignite the engine since you can't use the remote now. There is some sort of magnetic chip on the key itself. A hidden section near the gear section where you place the key to ignite the engine.

Must be original key. BB can't unlock her door so I doubt it is the original key. 

Let me go find the YouTube.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 2

My key fob uses Maxell batt - only about a month old and sometimes its acting up. I ordered a few Energizer CR2032 batteries from Shopee.

Twincharged

the metal key should be able to open the driver door. i think the keyfob you have is not original to the car. it was probably taken from a scrap car and reprogrammed.

i think you should bring the car to a locksmith and get a new key cut. I have used goodluck locksmith which is next to Lim Ah Boy motorcycle accessories shop at Kelantan Lane.

for the battery, i would think it is heng sway. some of the batteries are old and not so fresh. or some china fakes which have less capacity. the keyfob should last at least 1year.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

40 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I was almost locked out of my car after dinner and tried multiple times before the key finally worked. I also realised that the key in my fob is a dummy key and I cannot unlock my car door using the traditional key lol. 

I've had to replace the CR2032 battery twice in less than one year of ownership. The previous one was a Mitsubishi branded one which lasted slightly more than three months. Right now I'm using this cheap $1 Maxell one which I bought from a random convenience shop that was still open last night.

Three questions:

6 months to a year or more, it depends. But  if you want it to last longer, go buy energizer cell from NTUC, it will last onger than those $2 type from hdb hardware shop. The maxell you show in the post wont last long for sure. 

How long does the battery in your key fob usually last? > Around two years

What brands to use for car key? Duracell? Energizer? > Energizer

Should I be concerned that the mechanical key inside my fob is a dummy one? > Very concerned - you need a real key to open the door next time if you can't find replacement battery.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 2

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

6 months to a year or more, it depends. But  if you want it to last longer, go buy energizer cell from NTUC, it will last onger than those $2 type from hdb hardware shop. The maxell you show in the post wont last long for sure. 

I bought two to standby. The Maxelll one was a last resort kinda thing since I had no other option. Will probably change to Duracell or Energizer then. I googled online and it says key batteries can usually last for years.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I bought two to standby. The Maxelll one was a last resort kinda thing since I had no other option. Will probably change to Duracell or Energizer then. I googled online and it says key batteries can usually last for years.

Mine lasted about 2-3 years, and I usually change before it goes totally flat.  

Any brand I can get at the shop,  I just use,  but don't buy from those $2 shop.  I find those sold in supermarket last longer.  

Have not used the metal key for the last 15 years,  but I guess still a needed back up.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

Three questions:

2 years for mine before need to replace battery. To play safe, I changed out for both remotes. 

Any brand CR2032. 

The key holder can be used to start the engine. Just place it near Stop/Start. Not tried the physical key so can't comment. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 3

Mechanical key freed me from angst twice...once on a faulty boot release mechanism...the other time on the totally flat battery. 

Other usefulness is to lock the glove box containing precious (coupons, CDs, auto insurance cert and safety rubbers 😁) during servicing or repair needs. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

42 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

2 years for mine before need to replace battery. To play safe, I changed out for both remotes. 

Any brand CR2032. 

The key holder can be used to start the engine. Just place it near Stop/Start. Not tried the physical key so can't comment. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

I have seen videos using key itself to ignite the engine. Chinese reviews but forgotten Taiwan or China. Anyway couldn't find those videos now. The bottom line original key/fob is very important unlike old school without smart entry.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

My remote key tiny battery CR 1616 last 10 years and 1 month before I replaced it. Just get the same number correct. I don't think the physical key is a dummy.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

Mine lasted about 2-3 years, and I usually change before it goes totally flat.  

Any brand I can get at the shop,  I just use,  but don't buy from those $2 shop.  I find those sold in supermarket last longer.  

Have not used the metal key for the last 15 years,  but I guess still a needed back up.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

If my metal key not working how ah. Change lock ah? Hahaha.

• Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

If my metal key not working how ah. Change lock ah? Hahaha.

Change car!  [:p][laugh][laugh]

I don't think the key is a dummy,  maybe need to try again.  Have you try the key with the front passenger door? 

Did the car come with only one key? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1