Singapore startup to launch electric bikes in Indonesia, says no plans to sell locally for now

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

20220422_al_ionmobility03.jpg?itok=3exr_

Mr James Chan with the ION Mobius electric motorcycle on April 22, 2022.

In 2019, when Mr James Chan wanted to embark on a new business venture — of selling electric motorcycles — he felt it was only natural for him to zoom in on the Indonesia market.|

After all, from his frequent trips to Jakarta in his previous job, he noticed that motorbikes were the main mode of transport in the crowded city, unlike on Singapore roads where there were mostly cars.

The 40-year-old entrepreneur also felt that in Singapore, regulations to get vehicles road-safe are too strict. 

"I can't test my bikes legally on the roads in Singapore because it's not a vehicle yet... The only leeway I could get was to test on private roads," he said.

Indonesia had also laid out ambitious plans on electric vehicle (EV) adoption, with President Joko Widodo in 2019 pledging government support to build an EV industry in Indonesia including more incentives for imported and domestically produced EVs. 

This involves lower taxes for manufacturers and buyers of EVs.

20220422_al_ionmobility05.jpg?itok=uquBL

So in the same year, despite having an illustrious career starting out as a government scholar before moving into venture capitalism and financial technology, he decided to risk it all to start Ion Mobility — a company that produces electronic motorbikes, with a focus on the Indonesian market.

All the best Mr James! Hope to see your bike on our road some day!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

I thought China a lot of electric bikes?

actually if Singapore no car all electric bikes can reduce congestion reduce emission reduce noise reduce coe reduce road tax reduce mrt bus riders 

• Haha! 2

31 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

In 2019, when Mr James Chan wanted to embark on a new business venture — of selling electric motorcycles — he felt it was only natural for him to zoom in on the Indonesia market.|

After all, from his frequent trips to Jakarta in his previous job, he noticed that motorbikes were the main mode of transport in the crowded city, unlike on Singapore roads where there were mostly cars.

The 40-year-old entrepreneur also felt that in Singapore, regulations to get vehicles road-safe are too strict. 

"I can't test my bikes legally on the roads in Singapore because it's not a vehicle yet... The only leeway I could get was to test on private roads," he said.

Indonesia had also laid out ambitious plans on electric vehicle (EV) adoption, with President Joko Widodo in 2019 pledging government support to build an EV industry in Indonesia including more incentives for imported and domestically produced EVs. 

So in the same year, despite having an illustrious career starting out as a government scholar before moving into venture capitalism and financial technology, he decided to risk it all to start Ion Mobility — a company that produces electronic motorbikes, with a focus on the Indonesian market.

I wish him success! Because for motorcycles, electric ones are much better and safer than ICE ones. 

• Praise 2

3 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

I wish him success! Because for motorcycles, electric ones are much better and safer than ICE ones. 

Motorcycle very much lighter than car so easier to use electric 

that time I got see doing what YouTube say Tesla don’t want do bec margin Low until cry

Edited by Mustank

20 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

agree. Reduce noise is very important in a HDB jungle in Singapore. Some bike rider purposely make loud noise on the road or in estate living area. very annoying. 

Once we full electric bikes, only allow jiu hoo electric bikes to come in  

• Praise 3

SG sld replace all the cars on the road with these electric vehicles. Lesser pollution, lesser noise, lesser accidents, lesser death. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Screenshot_20220426-093449_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a31158daa6253f7d4270655b9156bfeb.jpg

Screenshot_20220426-093530_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3466de7bdeb63e1aa9533e49dfc6d61e.jpg

• Haha! 6

45 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

agree. Reduce noise is very important in a HDB jungle in Singapore. Some bike rider purposely make loud noise on the road or in estate living area. very annoying. 

Unfortunately won't reduce noise. 

The jokers on electric bikes will strap on some wireless speakers and blast them at full volume. Loud Music Saves Lives! 

Wait - I think I just described those on bicycles and PMDs on PCNs now! 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 5

12 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

SG sld replace all the cars on the road with these electric vehicles. Lesser pollution, lesser noise, lesser accidents, lesser death. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Screenshot_20220426-093449_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a31158daa6253f7d4270655b9156bfeb.jpg

Screenshot_20220426-093530_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3466de7bdeb63e1aa9533e49dfc6d61e.jpg

Just like PMD, PMA, PAP...simi lansai also good with the intent initially until one monkey gets on...and it's all downhill...😁

Oh PAB not PAP...but then again...😜

62252a1011f07aa775feb719cf5ab737.gif

200.gif

5f5159f8de85d0b9151ce58c318746f7.gif

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

@kobayashiGT  you owned how many percent in this company ?  [sly]

:grin:

haven't own anything yet.

Not yet not yet.

Time is not ripe yet. hahahahahaha

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, mikk123 said:

Yes, whenever I hear this type of noise, I feel like throwing a log across their path.😡

• Haha! 1

Should bring into SG also, hoh seh for LTA.

If bring in electric motorcycles here, its another revenue source so can slap on AFC (Additional Flat Component) on top of regular road tax for electric motorcycles, just like they did for EVs. 

Ex-government scholar should help national coffers 😁

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Mustank said:

I thought China a lot of electric bikes?

actually if Singapore no car all electric bikes can reduce congestion reduce emission reduce noise reduce coe reduce road tax reduce mrt bus riders 

and reduce tax collected. No way. 

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
3 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

If bring in electric motorcycles here, its another revenue source so can slap on AFC (Additional Flat Component) on top of regular road tax for electric motorcycles, just like they did for EVs. 

Ex-government scholar should help national coffers 😁

Waste time in sg. Too regulated and too much cost. Better for him to make it big in indon. Must also pay “special tax” but better than clueless LTA bozos here. 

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

SGP has 5 million population, Indonesia has more than 100million motor cycle population. the decision is simple. 

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

Ex-government scholar should help national coffers 

Till now, TP still don’t have equivalent classification for Electric Motorcycle.

It is smart of this guy not to bring it here

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3