Is our Police asking too much?

Carbon82

Is our Police asking too much?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Is it reasonable that a Police Permit is needed for conducting an event on any road or part thereof?

• Yes, organisers of the convoy events should apply for a permit to keep our society and road safer.
    • No, too much hassle for the organisers and this will kills car meetups and convoy on the road.
    • None of my concern since I don't join such meetup or convoy.
  2. 2. Should a Police Permit be mandated for cyclists in convoy on any road or part thereof?

• Yes, if permit is to help to keep our society and road safer.
    • No, too much hassle for the organisers and this will kills cycling as a hobby.
    • None of my concern since I don't join such cyclists group.

All I can say is that Singapore is really NOT a place for car lovers. Beside the ultra high vehicle taxes and ownership cost, car meetups also need a Police Permit?! 

So should our police demand the same for those cyclists who get together every weekend in big group, posing hazards and risk to other road users??

Police warns organisers of convoy gatherings to abandon plans; 5 men under investigation

thumbnail_image004.jpeg

supercar-kallang-gathering.jpg

• The police said they are aware of planned gatherings of vehicles to travel in a convoy at various locations over the long weekend
  • They warned that doing so is an offence punishable with fine or jail, or both
  • They said that five men are under investigation for organising two convoy gatherings last week
  • They are also looking into a meet up of car enthusiasts last week at an open air carpark at Decathlon Kallang 

The police said on Monday (May 2) they are aware of planned gatherings for vehicles to travel in a convoy at various locations over the long weekend, warning that doing so is an offence that could land the organisers in jail.

In a statement, the police said it is investigating two incidents last week in which vehicles were driven in a convoy. The authorities are also looking into a third incident involving a gathering of car enthusiasts at an open air carpark in Kallang.

Five men, aged between 22 and 26, have been identified as organisers of the convoy events, though the police did not reveal their names. They are now under investigation for “conducting an event on the road or part thereof without a permit”, the police said.

“The police would like to remind the public that conducting an event on any road or part thereof without a police permit is illegal in Singapore and we will not hesitate to take firm action against those who choose to flout our laws,” it said.

Under the Road Traffic Act, any person convicted of conducting any event on any road could be fined S$1,000 or jailed up to three months, or both. Repeat offenders are liable for double the punishment — a S$2,000 fine or up to six months’ jail, or both.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 18
  • Shocked 1

(edited)

You know why they taking action? Cos members of the public kpkb / made police reports. You know why members of public kpkb / make police reports? Cos ppl organise stupidly and some ppl just crave attention/online fame/hype/flex and behave like idiots, fking it up for everyone else. And once someone starts showing off with the peacocking behavior, that's it. Others will follow. 

I won't blame the police. They have to enforce the law once reports or calls are made. Imagine staying in one of the hdb flats opposite trying to get some sleep and this shit goes on. Confirm someone WILL call the cops. 

Congrats, they got the attention. 

I also didn't like it that the organisers just totally tried to wash their hands off the issue as something that was "out of their control". It was bound to happen. 

This is exactly why I don't openly publicise my meets and prefer it to be fren jio fren only. All it takes is one dumb incident like this with a misguided cockster and the entire community gets fked and whatever goodwill built up over years goes out the window. 

Do I feel bad not opening it up to everyone? Yes. But after this incident, I think I made the right call. 

The only reason y sg is not a place for car lovers is the price of cars. This issue is a ownself find trouble for ownself issue. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 47

Hypersonic
(edited)

Looking at the photo of the car present, likely these people will starting to revving  their engine on the road. See whos exhaust is louder, creating all the noise... and also some will likely to be road hazard to other driver when driving around.

We know how this driver drive even when they drive alone on the road.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 13

Turbocharged

I guess must be a balance loh.. if meetup drink kopi with car parked is ok.. 

but then again oso what the public perspective .. 10 Roll Royce and 10 JDM GTR/CTR/WRX are perceive differently..

when start to rev n blow fire then police come (like the recent Decathlon) one is oribi good..

• Praise 14

Supersonic
(edited)

I was thinking that the police took too long to respond. I support the police action. It is better to nib it in the bud than to let them grow beyond control. 

The convoys of prime movers, trucks, vans and motor cycles occupying two or more lanes, blaring horns with illegally fitted lights etc on a busy road like Changi Road is hazardous and dangerous. All it takes is a small incident to trigger off big chaotic situations. It could be riotous.

Imho, on the other hand, meetups at car parks, if there is no drive arounds, just a gathering of car enthusiasts to admire and share knowledge on cars should not be so restricted. May be, an email to inform the police of such events should suffice.

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

I guess must be a balance loh.. if meetup drink kopi with car parked is ok.. 

but then again oso what the public perspective .. 10 Roll Royce and 10 JDM GTR/CTR/WRX are perceive differently..

when start to rev n blow fire then police come (like the recent Decathlon) one is oribi good..

10 Rolls Royce is called going to showflat groupbuy 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 9

19 minutes ago, shrjun said:

Isn't 5 Indians grouping together also punishable 🤣

Every week i gather with friends and families, kpkb about some PAP policies and talked about passive resistance, think that is also illegal assembly.  It is not exclusive to Indians hor. 😂

• Haha! 7

Supersonic

Car meetup also needs permit now? Last time so many car meetup at carpark, they also never step in to interfere?! Life is really getting stressful now. 😅

• Praise 2

Ever attended a car meet up...while the herd was standing chatting in the dark...a long loud blast of engine roared the entire kallang night...two cars chased each other...we thought it's one of the haolian one in the fraternity but turned out to be someone else...asked him why he did that...answer was...kena push cannot lose...🤦‍♂️

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, 13177 said:

Car meetup also needs permit now? Last time so many car meetup at carpark, they also never step in to interfere?! Life is really getting stressful now. 😅

Got lah...occasionally...mostly friendly but poisonous meet ups...wallet hurts kind...😅

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

If in doubt, just enquire with the police in case permit is needed; usually will have to outline how you manage the event to prevent disturbance to public, other road users.

Same here nowadays want to fly radio control drone also requires permit from CAAS for certain activities. Heavy fines were imposed on those that were caught using drone for inspections without permit - even though in theory it does not disturb anyone in the vicinity - but more for reason of risk management, those what-if scenarios, have to outline how you plan to handle it.

It's true life is getting more regulated these days but inevitable as more and more people are crowded into tiny space. Last time can just find open field and toss your radio control drone into the air and start flying [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 4
  • Sad 1

Hypersonic
29 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

All I can say is that Singapore is really NOT a place for car lovers. Beside the ultra high vehicle taxes and ownership cost, car meetups also need a Police Permit?! 

So should our police demand the same for those cyclists who get together every weekend in big group, posing hazards and risk to other road users??

Police warns organisers of convoy gatherings to abandon plans; 5 men under investigation

thumbnail_image004.jpeg

supercar-kallang-gathering.jpg

• The police said they are aware of planned gatherings of vehicles to travel in a convoy at various locations over the long weekend
  • They warned that doing so is an offence punishable with fine or jail, or both
  • They said that five men are under investigation for organising two convoy gatherings last week
  • They are also looking into a meet up of car enthusiasts last week at an open air carpark at Decathlon Kallang 

The police said on Monday (May 2) they are aware of planned gatherings for vehicles to travel in a convoy at various locations over the long weekend, warning that doing so is an offence that could land the organisers in jail.

In a statement, the police said it is investigating two incidents last week in which vehicles were driven in a convoy. The authorities are also looking into a third incident involving a gathering of car enthusiasts at an open air carpark in Kallang.

Five men, aged between 22 and 26, have been identified as organisers of the convoy events, though the police did not reveal their names. They are now under investigation for “conducting an event on the road or part thereof without a permit”, the police said.

“The police would like to remind the public that conducting an event on any road or part thereof without a police permit is illegal in Singapore and we will not hesitate to take firm action against those who choose to flout our laws,” it said.

Under the Road Traffic Act, any person convicted of conducting any event on any road could be fined S$1,000 or jailed up to three months, or both. Repeat offenders are liable for double the punishment — a S$2,000 fine or up to six months’ jail, or both.

It’s actually one group go and jio other groups  to join in and then we have this happening and then all left at about the same time and created a ruckus of sorts with high revving and honking at Kallang ; if it’s just a ( maybe) 10 car meet up …. ( and don’t jam up roads ) Should not raise eyebrows …… Maybe just give the organizers (independent groups) ( and participants )  a stern warning lah ….enuff …. After all polis have their details already ….. sometimes Singapore lacks vibrancy too ……BTW is polis permit FOC?? Any idea how long it take for approval ?? 

(edited)

Tbh I'm half suspecting I will get a call from mata or gahmen also. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Haha! 2

Supersonic
24 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Looking at the photo of the car present, likely these people will starting to revving  their engine on the road. See whos exhaust is louder, creating all the noise... and also some will likely to be road hazard to other driver when driving around.

We know how this driver drive even when they drive alone on the road.

Such activities are bound to happen. In the recent case, a Golf which was popping exhaust and stalled got slammed by most netizens.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Because when it's peaceful and relatively law abiding, authorities have no need to interfere. 

Now with this sort of publicity and news that such meets are "frowned upon" from a legal point of view, what you think gonna happen in future? All fked

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 6

Hypersonic
8 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Last time meet up no Telegram, IG, FB.... all done quietly. 

Now before the meet up already whole world know...

The Best opportunity for TP/LTA to catch all the illegal mod for GTR, Evo, WRX, ROC, GTI....

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Supersonic
13 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Ever attended a car meet up...while the herd was standing chatting in the dark...a long loud blast of engine roared the entire kallang night...two cars chased each other...we thought it's one of the haolian one in the fraternity but turned out to be someone else...asked him why he did that...answer was...kena push cannot lose...🤦‍♂️

I find go car meetup is go there feed mozzies, i dont like. 😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 6