Is our Police asking too much?

Carbon82

Is our Police asking too much?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Is it reasonable that a Police Permit is needed for conducting an event on any road or part thereof?

• Yes, organisers of the convoy events should apply for a permit to keep our society and road safer.
    • No, too much hassle for the organisers and this will kills car meetups and convoy on the road.
    • None of my concern since I don't join such meetup or convoy.
  2. 2. Should a Police Permit be mandated for cyclists in convoy on any road or part thereof?

• Yes, if permit is to help to keep our society and road safer.
    • No, too much hassle for the organisers and this will kills cycling as a hobby.
    • None of my concern since I don't join such cyclists group.

4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

This will made a lot of ppl complain 

In the neighbourhood...many will complain...noise everywhere 

On the road...driver of that car will complain...hoggers everywhere 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

32 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Driving high speed on autobahn I also don't even have time look at speedo 

Blurred vision anyway corright? 😅

Turbocharged

Its ridiculous, we meet our friends...need police permit?

What is a car meetup? What does it mean to MCFer and what does it mean to polis?

🤭

Well if abcdefg show up in horses, cows and the occasional ah huay and jiak png at hotel, need polis permit meh? Or harassing taxpayers by polis trying to get in on the action? Polis sad not invited? Or inviting call to serve taxpayers?

I plotect you okay.

The Honda convoy thing, whoops quick bo mata.

Hypersonic
10 hours ago, Atonchia said:

Who?

A&E? 

Don't any how quote hor.... later involve another ministry.

Ahhhhh……… U oso like me Prembree Tree studi 1 🤣🤣

• Haha! 3

9 hours ago, mersaylee said:

In the neighbourhood...many will complain...noise everywhere 

On the road...driver of that car will complain...hoggers everywhere 😁

On the road, I believe drivers will complain.

Open the bypass valve will remote.

It will be as loud as driving at 200km/h especially rev every gear to 6k RPM

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

On the road, I believe drivers will complain.

Open the bypass valve will remote.

It will be as loud as driving at 200km/h especially rev every gear to 6k RPM

Open air road still not too bad...insai kpe tunnel...kena a few times...thunderous is an understatement 😅

• Haha! 1

Just now, mersaylee said:

Open air road still not too bad...insai kpe tunnel...kena a few times...thunderous is an understatement 😅

I will open the bypass valve in KPE.

WOT.

Make them suffer their own modifications. This is one thing I support what China does to people who have blinding headlights- stare into it for one minute:

Loud exhaust?

In lieu of a fine, put your ear next to it and let the nice police officer redline the engine for a minute.

Smell your nice de-catted exhaust while you’re at it.

Stand close enough so your hair gets singed by the flames too. 

And the officers will install a speaker in your home which they’ll randomly play your exhaust noise, oftentimes while you sleep.

13A79260-4AAC-4015-9465-FD6625DA4824.jpeg

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 9

15 hours ago, Shibadog said:

that's the problem with broadly worded laws - selective enforcement.

strictly speaking, if husband and wife have their own cars, meet each other for dinner after work and drive home together after dinner, it can be considered an event according to our fine boys in blue.

I agree with you on the part about broadly worded laws, which is akin to giving the police a blank cheque. If anything happened during a meet up or convoy, the police can always fault the organizer for not having a valid permit. But will applying for a permit eliminate all the issues and nuisances resulted? 

Just like in a legal protest (not in Singapore though), all are walking peacefully carrying sign boards and banners, not obstructing traffic or inconveniencing others (I have experienced it during my trip in Europe). Then a few trouble makers (e.g. decoy) started to shout slogan and throw objects in the public, and soon the whole assembly would become illegal. 

Organizer can apply for permit, but do they have the authority to deal with the trouble makers (or even preventing them from attending the Meetup, which normally took place in public places) Shouldn't the police be the one carrying out the enforcement and hauling these trouble makers to court?

• Praise 2

33 minutes ago, SGCM928 said:

I agree with you on the part about broadly worded laws, which is akin to giving the police a blank cheque. If anything happened during a meet up or convoy, the police can always fault the organizer for not having a valid permit. But will applying for a permit eliminate all the issues and nuisances resulted? 

Just like in a legal protest (not in Singapore though), all are walking peacefully carrying sign boards and banners, not obstructing traffic or inconveniencing others (I have experienced it during my trip in Europe). Then a few trouble makers (e.g. decoy) started to shout slogan and throw objects in the public, and soon the whole assembly would become illegal. 

Organizer can apply for permit, but do they have the authority to deal with the trouble makers (or even preventing them from attending the Meetup, which normally took place in public places) Shouldn't the police be the one carrying out the enforcement and hauling these trouble makers to court?

1st of all, no legal protest is allowed in Singapore except in Hong Lim Park (maybe).

From TP perspective, applying permit is to ensure someone is accountable to TP.  Once things going to get out of control, the organiser has to cancel the event (to avoid legal issue).

On TikTok, there is a Horizon Driving Club.  It seems like it has been organising convoy for some time.

Doesn't look like got issue le.

• Praise 1

(edited)

https://www.gobusiness.gov.sg/browse-all-licences/singapore-police-force-(spf)/police-permit-for-assembly-or-procession

Under the Public Order Act, a Police Permit is required for an assembly, procession or public talk that is held by one or more persons in a public place if the intention is to:

(a) Demonstrate support for or opposition to the views or actions of any person, group of persons or any government;
(b) Publicise a cause or campaign; or
(c) Mark or commemorate any event.

Maybe the Geylang bikers should have kept quiet instead of blasting their horns to mark/commemorate Hari Raya. 

https://www.gobusiness.gov.sg/browse-all-licences/singapore-police-force-(spf)/road-closure-permit-for-events

When do I not need to apply for this permit?
Road closure permit is not required if:

a) the event does not involve any road and lane closure; or
b) is held in a private residential estate and meets the following requirements:
- Does not occupy more than one lane of a two or more lane road;
- Is not conducted within 3 meters of a water hydrant;
- Is not conducted within 6 meters of a road intersection or junction;
- Is not conducted along any road bend;
- Does not obstruct the access to any premises; or
- Does not impede the safe and smooth flow of vehicular and pedestrians on that road.

From the requirements, it looks like a peaceful meet with cars parked up properly is safe because roads are not being blocked. For example, stopping cars in the middle of a tunnel to take photos. 

And to clear up doubts on "illegal/unlawful gatherings". Not it is not an illegal gathering if you just have a few people together for tok kok sing song. There needs to be a common intent to fk shit up. 

https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-articles/what-is-the-offence-of-rioting/

An unlawful assembly is defined in section 141 of the Penal Code as an assembly of 5 or more persons with one of the common purposes as stated below:

To overawe by criminal force, or by show of criminal force, to the Government or any public servant exercising their lawful power;

To resist the execution of any law, or of any legal process;

To commit any offence;

By using criminal force towards any person, to take possession of property, or to deprive any person of the enjoyment of his right of way, incorporeal rights or his possessions; or

By using criminal force to compel any person to do what he is not legally bound to do, or to omit to do what he is legally entitled to do.

For the Decathlon one, if TP really wants to hoot, they can hoot on Point A of permit requirements because of all the videos of the cars stopping in the middle of the road to do their pops and bangs. And those who do pops, bangs and horn non stop can probably kenna double on unlawful assembly/excessive noise because of their common intent on creating excessive noise. Just see how much you want to push TP. 

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/MOPONA1906?ProvIds=pr14-

Excessive noise

14.—(1)  Any person who makes any noise by any instrument or other means in such a manner as to cause or be likely to cause annoyance or inconvenience to the occupier of any premises in the vicinity or to any person lawfully using any public road or in any public place shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000.

There, I went to check, but don't quote me becos I am not lawya

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic

Mys point is maybe not police asking too much

kaypoh people answering too much.

:D

20 hours ago, Jamesc said:

It was A B C D and E.

Don't forget E nice Mr Policeman!

Turbocharged

Chill out bros.

As our Ah Mock has nicely stated for us, as long as you not out to create trouble, there is no issue with meeting up or gathering.

There are many hundreds of events being held in Singapore every day. You think all need permit meh. Siao bo.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

53 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

Chill out bros.

As our Ah Mock has nicely stated for us, as long as you not out to create trouble, there is no issue with meeting up or gathering.

There are many hundreds of events being held in Singapore every day. You think all need permit meh. Siao bo.

all forgot saf core values liao 

• Haha! 4

Hypersonic

With act like this and people complaining, how does one expect the police not to respond?

7C481408-138C-4055-B0F0-35809E677B9B.png

• Praise 8

Supercharged
On 5/3/2022 at 9:51 PM, Thaiyotakamli said:

Can do car meetup in hong lim park? 

I think we should do car meetup near to TP HQ

that will auto filter out all the heros 😁

• Haha! 6

6 minutes ago, Phang said:

I think we should do car meetup near to TP HQ

that will auto filter out all the heros 😁

Please start a MU.