No more physical birth certificates - ICA

Roborovskii

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/birth-death-certificate-digital-ica-2671516
"Babies born in Singapore from May 29 will no longer have physical birth certificates, as the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) will only issue digital certificates. "

It might not be a big deal to much people, but for me as a parent. I do feel that the physical birth cert holds some meaning. Should have made it optional and not taken away. If you've a few seconds to spare, I made a petition, likely won't work to get any attention, but not harm trying...

https://www.change.org/p/retain-physical-birth-certificates-singapore-ica

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8
  • Haha! 4

32 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

in future without a phone your are a nobody [laugh]

What in future? Most are nobody now. With or without phone. 

• Haha! 12

27 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

What in future? Most are nobody now. With or without phone. 

Born a nobody. Birth cert go home and print it yourself. I guess even after graduating from Uni, no need any convocation ceremony, school will email to you your cert, print it yourself 😆 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Actually...birth cert is used so often, even see doctor.

No physical birth cert, then hope government ownself have a way for all organisation to identify baby.

Don't go everywhere make me have to print out.

All it takes is one massive data hack and you would officially cease to exist as a person in the 21st century:

Your proof of birth

Your identity

Your bank accounts

Your CPF

Your property 

If anything I feel the burden is on the government that going digital isn’t without alternate-media failsafes. Their headlong rush to Smart Nation has left the older generation out in the cold for simple things such as LTA transactions (you can’t do most things over the counter) and worrying things such as filling out a COVID+ web form.

I mean, do you honestly expect an octogenarian to be able to handle a web browser much less a mobile phone?

• Praise 11

Twincharged
4 hours ago, Calinlin said:

Actually...birth cert is used so often, even see doctor.

No physical birth cert, then hope government ownself have a way for all organisation to identify baby.

Don't go everywhere make me have to print out.

Inplant a Mircochip into our Body,like Dogs & Cats.

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged

I wonder if it's based on some blockchain or similar technology to ensure authentic and make sure it's immutable, to prevent forgeries.

But then again, if got such benefits, sure will play it up loud loud in the news articles.

Now just seem like some cost cutting(?) measure, can't see how "smart" it is.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

While I support digitalization in most cases, the push by some environmentalist to go green are to some extent, rubbish! 

Have anyone wonder or research on how much energy and resources will be needed to maintain a digital copy of say a birth cert, vs printing 1 hard copy (with lamination)? 

To ensure that the data remain safe and retrievable at anytime, they are not stored at just 1 single location but multiple (data centres), and the routine backup (hourly to daily at least) means several files were generated daily, monthly, weekly, so on so fore.

And all these contributed to the blooming of data centres all around the world. For those that are not aware, data centres consume tons of electrical energy. In Singapore, a total of about 60 data centres accounted for about 7% of Singapore electricity consumption in year 2020, and the figure is set to grown to double digits in the coming years!

On the other hand, raw material needed for paper production is no longer considered as depleting resources as most was made from trees grown specifically for paper production, or in another word, sustainable means.

Food for thought, should we continue to go green blindly, replacing hard copies with digital copies? 

• Praise 10

What are you guys saying?? Digital copy means you can still use your printer to print out a hardcopy and laminate it as usual. You may make thousands of copy, put it on your wall, in your safe, paste it on your chest, print it on a T-shirt, give a copy to your in laws and even your nanny. It is for absent minded ppl who like to lose their things. No need to kah jiao ICA and keep asking to get a copy.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

to me no different, I hardly see my birth cert or even my kid's one, or my marriage cert, or whatever cert.

always good if there is an alternative source instead of panicked where I put them when needed.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Supersonic

Human life span has increased tremendously. Just assume the average of 80 years. Will the data be maintained for 80 years without being corrupted or hacked? Will the data storage crash? How many times will the data be migrated throughout the life span? Will the data still remain intact?

(edited)

You can keep the digital copy in your smartphone, laptop and devices. If ICA for whatever reasons lost the data, you still have many saved copies.

I dont understand, we have been using e-logcard for so long. Got problem meh? I have both hardcopy and softcopy and lately I dont even print it out, just keep in the smartphone. What car you drive is also on your singpass app.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
(edited)

"Babies born in Singapore from May 29 will no longer have physical birth certificates, as the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) will only issue digital certificates. "

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Don't even need a name for babies born after May 29 2022. All babies are merely binary code!

Lucky for my boy I have the opportunity (privilege) to write down his chinese name, family particulars on a piece of paper right in front of the ICA officer and see it printed out. 👍👍👍👍 Hand it to my wife at home personally. Laminate and file it in the family profile file. 

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 3

Internal Moderator

Aiyo, should just let the new born baby have a singpass when he/she is born mah.

Can access to hers edusave, singhealth, birthcert and all.

This is inevitable. Without paper, that means less manpower and more automation.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1