National Service in Singapore for women has a higher societal cost

Atonchia

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/politics/cost-of-enlisting-women-into-ns-even-in-non-military-roles-far-outweighs-benefits-ng-eng-hen

What have Ng Eng Hen been smoking?

So the males can forget about supporting family income during the full time NS stint.....

The males family no need them to supplement income?

Though I don't support female conscript but Ng's argument about not valid. 

I do agree the part of female are enlisted meaning there will be labour shortages for awhile cohort for the initial 2 years implementation.

So labour shortages meant need to open the gate more. 

There were grouses of people who went through NS felt short-changed to serve the country while PR or new citizen got the long end of stick without the need to serve NS while enjoying the security SG has.

Then if we also enlist female conscript will aggravate this.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

(edited)
1 hour ago, Atonchia said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/politics/cost-of-enlisting-women-into-ns-even-in-non-military-roles-far-outweighs-benefits-ng-eng-hen

So the males can forget about supporting family income during the full time NS stint.....

I do agree the part of female are enlisted meaning there will be labour shortages for awhile cohort for the initial 2 years implementation.

There were grouses of people who went through NS felt short-changed to serve the country while PR or new citizen got the long end of stick without the need to serve NS while enjoying the security SG has.

He old liao. Talk no sense already.

But I support ns. Sure, we lost 2 active years in our career but it's necessary. Don't really care about what pr or new citizen gained. One of my friend who is a new citizen wanted to volunteer. But saf find him too old. Lol.

Edited by Stratovarius
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

(edited)

Aiya, no need lah. We just need a wayang force to show potential enemies that you know, we are armed to a certain extend. No need women to do NS lah. Military budget will overspend. Defense dont earn money. Whether it is tanks, fighter planes or soldiers, all need money to feed, buy, maintain and run. Cannot make money for the country. Like I said we only need a wayang fighting force. Occasionally flex the military muscle during NDP is more than enough. Status quo is imo good enough. 

These female MPs think until so serious.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 2

36 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

But I support ns. Sure, we lost 2 active years in our career but it's necessary. Don't really care about what pr or new citizen gained. One of my friend who is a new citizen wanted to volunteer. But saf find him too old. Lol.

I think most of us support NS. Especially those of us who went through it. 

I don't see the need like Israel to have both male and female conscript.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/04/23/fewer-than-a-third-of-countries-currently-have-a-military-draft-most-exclude-women/

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Stratovarius said:

Ask him how many new citizen did ns and split.

Liao lui liao lat.

Free pregnancy/std care is what he worried about. Very expensive. All that live firing.

Tsk tsk tsk.

• Haha! 6

Turbocharged
(edited)

If kena attack and all hands on deck simi societal cost of not having trained women soldier or at least women who understand hardship firsthand?

Either attack is a real possibilty in which case this societal cost nonsense is meaningless or attack is not a real possibility in which case NS is meaningless

Slap in the face to all men serving

Edited by yishunite

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Datsun366 said:

Ask him how many new citizen did ns and split.

Liao lui liao lat.

Free pregnancy/std care is what he worried about. Very expensive. All that live firing.

Tsk tsk tsk.

Butt party in the bunk...firer, own time own target...😁

Edited by mersaylee
  • Haha! 2

I once proposed women for short term ns (to be trained in first aid n fire fighting skills only) to Mr Teo...a year later the SVC was introduced...maybe I can try once more...😁

Won't cause a dent to the budget with maybe just a week or 2 to learn how to use bandage and extinguisher corright? 😁

• Praise 3

Please don't waste more taxpayers' money just to send a message of gender equality or to allow certain organisations to talk even louder. 

I support no NS for women. 

• Haha! 3

11 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I once proposed women for short term ns (to be trained in first aid n fire fighting skills only) to Mr Teo...a year later the SVC was introduced...maybe I can try once more...😁

Won't cause a dent to the budget with maybe just a week or 2 to learn how to use bandage and extinguisher corright? 😁

Not long enough la.

Need Yearly re-training 🤭

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
3 hours ago, Atonchia said:

saf-basic-military-training-centre-at-pu

• Haha! 6

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

We need more nurses :grin:

nurse-nurse-meme.gif

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

22 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Not long enough la.

Need Yearly re-training 🤭

Also proposed a yearly or bi-yearly weekend 9-5 pm only reservist as refresher...need to book a slot macam badminton court liddat 😁

• Praise 1

Just now, mersaylee said:

Also proposed a yearly or bi-yearly weekend 9-5 pm only reservist as refresher...need to book a slot macam badminton court liddat 😁

Good idea 

Turbocharged
(edited)

I'm curious about this sentence:

"These are inadequate justifications or reasons to mandate that someone must suspend individual liberties as a civilian, give up two years of his or her life, and if they do not, they go to jail, as our courts have sentenced NS defaulters."

Means he's admitting that serving 2 years of NS is an infringement of our individual liberties.

I suspect there could be something up ahead. Perhaps he's hinting at a potential scaling down of NS. I mean, they already setting up the digital forces branch to send NS kids to do computer and not take on so xiong work.

Edited by Benarsenal
  • Shocked 1

Turbocharged

Maybe not military service like that for men but I think it's good all 19 year old girls go through months of emergency medical practice, with "reservist" like us till maybe 35.

Many of our female counterparts are cacooned in their own universe with friends from the same societal strata. How many of these Air level girls have friends who do not think like them, and vice versa. 

The 2.5 year ns, besides the obvious military experience, brought many of us from all sort of life style together. And that's where we try to work with people who do not share the same frequency as us. 

It opened my eyes and mind to another part of Singapore. And for that I am grateful. 

Our ladies should have that same experience. Let's help them widen their perspective. And on top of that, they will gain some experience they will likely not have the opportunity. And worst case scenario, if the button is pressed, at least there will always be a group of competent people we know we can rely on when we or civilians are injured. 

• Praise 8

17 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Maybe not military service like that for men but I think it's good all 19 year old girls go through months of emergency medical practice, with "reservist" like us till maybe 35.

Many of our female counterparts are cacooned in their own universe with friends from the same societal strata. How many of these Air level girls have friends who do not think like them, and vice versa. 

The 2.5 year ns, besides the obvious military experience, brought many of us from all sort of life style together. And that's where we try to work with people who do not share the same frequency as us. 

It opened my eyes and mind to another part of Singapore. And for that I am grateful. 

Our ladies should have that same experience. Let's help them widen their perspective. And on top of that, they will gain some experience they will likely not have the opportunity. And worst case scenario, if the button is pressed, at least there will always be a group of competent people we know we can rely on when we or civilians are injured. 

agree about the cocoons but should expose them when they are in sec/JC. 

↡ Advertisement