Car Sharing cheaper alternative to Car Rental?

Hello Guys, just wanted to check any feedback or car sharing company you all used before or recommend?

Now i see got so many car sharing company on the market and seems like the price is really cheaper than normal rental. 

Cheers,

Michael2828

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

For short duration use like a few hours, car-sharing is cheaper but if on daily basis generally the rental costs of those brick-and-mortar car rental companies are cheaper but I don't know nowadays if there is any commitment period for those. 🙂

• Praise 2

10 hours ago, Michael2828 said:

Hello Guys, just wanted to check any feedback or car sharing company you all used before or recommend?

Now i see got so many car sharing company on the market and seems like the price is really cheaper than normal rental. 

Cheers,

Michael2828

Car sharing is fine if u r driving occasionally... Read the T&C especially on the insurance coverage.... cheap rental but beware of ridiculous insurance coverage :D 

• Praise 2

I wrote a blog about this, but this was a year ago so I think a few things might have changed since then.

https://benscarblog.wordpress.com/2021/04/10/car-sharing/

In my experience GetGo was the best, but I've since heard many complaints about them, probably due to too rapid expansion and they cannot keep up.

Also CarClub now merged with Tribecar and I have not tried their services since the merge.

• Praise 1

On 5/13/2022 at 10:16 PM, Benarsenal said:

I wrote a blog about this, but this was a year ago so I think a few things might have changed since then.

https://benscarblog.wordpress.com/2021/04/10/car-sharing/

In my experience GetGo was the best, but I've since heard many complaints about them, probably due to too rapid expansion and they cannot keep up.

Also CarClub now merged with Tribecar and I have not tried their services since the merge.

Thanks for sharing! As a user i think i will definitely download all apps and make comparison. :)

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Bluesg?

Bluesg is the best, it is cheap, it can benused as a  golf buggy, it can be driven like a PMD to drive up anywhere anyhow, it has the power and speed of a ferrari.😄😄

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

On 6/13/2022 at 12:10 PM, Ct3833 said:

Bluesg is the best, it is cheap, it can benused as a  golf buggy, it can be driven like a PMD to drive up anywhere anyhow, it has the power and speed of a ferrari.😄😄

lol! the car too cute leh.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:10 PM, Ct3833 said:

The insurance excess is high. Drive like a Ferrari and prepare 10k for accident. :D 

On 5/13/2022 at 9:57 PM, jcmm said:

Car sharing is fine if u r driving occasionally... Read the T&C especially on the insurance coverage.... cheap rental but beware of ridiculous insurance coverage :D 

I'd second this! There are 2 insurance excesses, one for the car you drive, and the other for the 3rd party. After even a minor collision, you are liable for the 2 excesses and together can hit $10K if you are a new driver. CDW doesn't help very much either.

Read the fine print. You have been warned.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Michael2828 said:

@jcmm Bro, you have story to share for the excess?

3 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I'd second this! There are 2 insurance excesses, one for the car you drive, and the other for the 3rd party. After even a minor collision, you are liable for the 2 excesses and together can hit $10K if you are a new driver. CDW doesn't help very much either.

Read the fine print. You have been warned.

The excess can be way more than $10k. No sane person should drive bluesg.

On 5/13/2022 at 11:01 AM, Michael2828 said:

Cheers,

Michael2828

Let us know what u decide on . 

Am a little interested too.

Have a Getgo parking near my place.

Edited by shrjun

3 hours ago, Michael2828 said:

@jcmm Bro, you have story to share for the excess?

No personal story... horror stories all read from forums... and reading their insurance T&C. 

I had been researching quite extensively at the different car sharing companies. Prob spent about 100h reading their fb groups...

If you wanna try car sharing, go for car lite. Their community seems to be the most wholesome, very little complaints, cars in good condition and I think most important factor, appears to have the best customer service and support.

Car club used to be the most premium and best in customer service but it got bought over by tribecar...

Tribecar and getgo are really large and have plenty of options, but somehow their cars kenna alot of exterior damage/scratches. Many brand new getgo Avante CN7 scratched so bad it looks like they went thru 4x4 off road...

I would avoid both these companies cause quite ma fan la if you really have to scrutinise for damage everytime u use the car. Getgo and tribecar fb groups have alot of complaints that the cars are returned with almost empty tanks. Car lite users (who post in the FB groups) a bit mad, like to return the cars with half tank (even tho the criteria is 1/4 tank).

Tribecar, especially their economy range, often are in poor mechanical condition, botak tyres, from what I read in the FB groups. So quite scary when you consider the insurance excess is in the thousands and the cars are quite a hazard to drive on the road, especially for people who rarely drive, or who are adapting to a high mileage vehicle that is maintained based on reports from users who bother to highlight them...

Tribecar's fb group is heavily moderated, whereas the others do not have official fb groups that are censored by employed staff...

Having said all that, if need for longer durations (eg. Days or weeks or months) just go with other traditional rental companies that offer $500/1000 insurance excess. If you need a car for a short errand, then maybe can try carsharing from the big players. But please make sure to drive slowly, on bright sunny days, and rent an hour longer than you think you need. Don't tempt fate by speeding or in heavy rain or trying to be in a rush...

• Praise 4

10 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

I had been researching quite extensively at the different car sharing companies. Prob spent about 100h reading their fb groups...

If you wanna try car sharing, go for car lite. Their community seems to be the most wholesome, very little complaints, cars in good condition and I think most important factor, appears to have the best customer service and support.

Car club used to be the most premium and best in customer service but it got bought over by tribecar...

Tribecar and getgo are really large and have plenty of options, but somehow their cars kenna alot of exterior damage/scratches. Many brand new getgo Avante CN7 scratched so bad it looks like they went thru 4x4 off road...

I would avoid both these companies cause quite ma fan la if you really have to scrutinise for damage everytime u use the car. Getgo and tribecar fb groups have alot of complaints that the cars are returned with almost empty tanks. Car lite users (who post in the FB groups) a bit mad, like to return the cars with half tank (even tho the criteria is 1/4 tank).

Tribecar, especially their economy range, often are in poor mechanical condition, botak tyres, from what I read in the FB groups. So quite scary when you consider the insurance excess is in the thousands and the cars are quite a hazard to drive on the road, especially for people who rarely drive, or who are adapting to a high mileage vehicle that is maintained based on reports from users who bother to highlight them...

Tribecar's fb group is heavily moderated, whereas the others do not have official fb groups that are censored by employed staff...

Having said all that, if need for longer durations (eg. Days or weeks or months) just go with other traditional rental companies that offer $500/1000 insurance excess. If you need a car for a short errand, then maybe can try carsharing from the big players. But please make sure to drive slowly, on bright sunny days, and rent an hour longer than you think you need. Don't tempt fate by speeding or in heavy rain or trying to be in a rush...

There's also Shariot. Their rates are quite reasonable but the cars are mostly not in the best condition, as many are ex-PHV cars.

↡ Advertisement