BMW 128Ti

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

A front-wheel drive BMW hot hatch? You bet. And with the new Mk8 Golf GTI being a bit of a letdown, the new 128ti might just be the best German hot hatch on sale. So here are the numbers: the 128ti packs a turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine producing 265hp and 400Nm of torque, making it a fair bit more powerful than the Golf GTI. Power is sent to the front wheels through an eight-speed automatic (no manual here, sadly) and it'll go from 0-62mph in 6.1 seconds with a little help from launch control. You also get beefier brakes and an updated suspension setup over the standard 1 Series for a sportier drive, plus an M Sport body kit that matches the look of the M135i super hatch. It all sounds very promising, so can it take the fight to the legendary Golf GTI?

I personally like a FWD car, this is a car where GTI should be wary of!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

now that 116i is in cat A, maybe the 128ti can finally come in to bridge between the 116i and 135

This is a very nice car (saw and sat in it in Munich) but sadly no plans to come into SG, which I also think it is a real pity because it would give the GTI real competition. 

• Praise 2

29 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

This is a very nice car (saw and sat in it in Munich) but sadly no plans to come into SG, which I also think it is a real pity because it would give the GTI real competition. 

Maybe PI if that's a alternative 

Turbocharged
51 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

problem is some see FWD, 4 potter and immediately dismiss it liao.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Mockngbrd said:

the pricing would be difficult to compete with GTI and Cupra

might as well get M135i the real 4 potter and FWD ... LOL

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

1 minute ago, ER-3682 said:

I don't think PML bringing in this Model...maybe the other AD TranEurokar will come in.

It depends on BMW Asia.

In Germany, base price is EUR7k different btw 128 and 135.

It will be difficult to sell here unless it is a barebone unit.

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It depends on BMW Asia.

In Germany, base price is EUR7k different btw 128 and 135.

It will be difficult to sell here unless it is a barebone unit.

i will get a 118i and slap a 2 in the emblem ... lol

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

i will get a 118i and slap a 2 in the emblem ... lol

I rather get Mini JCW.

That’s closest to 128ti

Supersonic
(edited)

Isn't the new-ish M135i also FWD and more powerful? Why bother with this? 

In any case, remember - FWD is a compromise. Always go RWD if you have the choice. I'm so glad I've owned the real M135i before and currently own the M140i. Both great RWD hot hatches. 

FWD can be good if the maker has perfected their craft on that platform, like with Honda and the Civic Type R. But BMW is known for two things: 6 pots and RWD. Except for even higher specced stuff (like their 8 cylinder and historically, 10 cylinder, engines), that's the tried and tested formula. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 4

Just now, Turboflat4 said:

Isn't the new M135i also FWD and more powerful? Why bother with this? 

In any case, always remember - FWD is a compromise. Always go RWD if you have the choice. I'm so glad I've owner the real M135i before and currently own the M140i. Both great RWD hot hatches. 

Exactly

RWD ftw!

• Praise 3

Buy GR Yaris better lah, if want a real hot hatch experience. A real 4WD homologation special, M/T only. 

If die die want FWD Conti hot hatch, Renault Megane RS is a better bet. 

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

Isn't the new-ish M135i also FWD and more powerful? Why bother with this? 

In any case, remember - FWD is a compromise. Always go RWD if you have the choice. I'm so glad I've owned the real M135i before and currently own the M140i. Both great RWD hot hatches. 

FWD can be good if the maker has perfected their craft on that platform, like with Honda and the Civic Type R. But BMW is known for two things: 6 pots and RWD. Except for even higher specced stuff (like their 8 cylinder and historically, 10 cylinder, engines), that's the tried and tested formula. 

anyway it's got no stick option, won't interest u one.

Supersonic
16 minutes ago, Etnt said:

anyway it's got no stick option, won't interest u one.

That's not true at all. Only one of my cars has a stick at present. 

No thanks. Front wheel based AWD is still pretty much FWD. I dont mind if it is rear wheel based AWD cos it still pretty much handles like a RWD.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1