PM changed again, good to change many times?

Windwaver

Turbocharged

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/australia-election-scott-morrison-ruling-coalition-loss-labor-party-anthony-albanese-2698001

Australia's PM Morrison concedes election defeat, Labor to form government

SYDNEY: Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison admitted defeat in national elections on Saturday (May 21) after a "difficult night" for his conservative government.

"Tonight I have spoken to the leader of the opposition and the incoming prime minister, Anthony Albanese, and I have congratulated him on his election victory this evening," Morrison said in a televised speech in Sydney.

He added that he would stand down as leader of the Liberal Party.

The 54-year-old outgoing leader noted that voter support for major parties had fallen in the election.

"I think about the upheaval that is taking place in our nation, and I think it is important for our nation to heal and to move forward," he said.

Morrison's voice cracked with emotion as he thanked his wife Jennifer and his daughters, "the loves of my life".

"I have no doubt under the strong leadership of our coalition, three years from now I am looking forward to the return of a coalition government."

This ends eight years and nine months in power for Morrison's conservative coalition. He became prime minister in 2018 after several leadership changes.

Albanese, speaking as he headed to his party celebrations, said he wanted to unite the country.

"I think people want to come together, look for our common interest, look towards that sense of common purpose. I think people have had enough of division, what they want is to come together as a nation and I intend to lead that."

Television stations earlier projected a win for Albanese's Labor Party as voters deserted the ruling conservative coalition in favour of climate-focused independents and smaller parties.

But Labor may yet have to rely on support from the Green Party and a group of so-called "teal independents", who campaigned on policies of integrity, equality and tackling climate change.

Partial results showed that Morrison's Liberal-National coalition was punished by voters in affluent urban seats and Western Australia in particular.

Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg was poised to become one of the country's highest-ranking Cabinet ministers to ever be voted out of parliament as he acknowledged it would be difficult to cling onto his seat.

Frydenberg appeared on course to be defeated in his Melbourne seat by independent Monique Ryan, a pediatric neurologist running for office for the first time, according to a projected count by the Australian Electoral Commission.

"I can't see the coalition getting above 60 (seats)," the Australian Broadcasting Corp's election analyst Antony Green said in a live broadcast. Forming a government requires 76 of the 151 lower house seats.

"Unless the Labor Party sat on its high horse and said 'We've got to 74, that's not 76, we're not forming government', there is no alternative government in that parliament," Green added.

The Sydney Morning Herald said Albanese will become the next prime minister. Sky News projected the ruling coalition "can't win majority".

Final results could take some time as counting of a record number of postal votes is completed.

Centre-left Labor had held a decent lead in opinion polls, although recent surveys showed the Liberal-National government narrowing the gap in the final stretch of a six-week campaign.

A Newspoll survey by The Australian newspaper out on election day showed Labor's lead over the ruling coalition dipping a point to 53-47 on a two-party-preferred basis, where votes for unsuccessful candidates are redistributed to the top two contenders.

TURNING TEAL

In at least five affluent Liberal-held seats, so-called "teal independents" looked set to win, tapping voter anger over inaction on climate change after some of the worst floods and fires to hit Australia.

Three volunteers working for teal independent Monique Ryan, who was challenging Frydenberg, said they joined Ryan's campaign because they are concerned about the climate for the sake of their children and grandchildren.

"For me, it's like this election actually feels hopeful," Charlotte Forwood, a working mother of three adult children, told Reuters.

Early returns suggested the Greens had also made ground, looking to pick up to three seats in Queensland.

Greens leader Adam Bandt, who retained his inner-city Melbourne seat, said climate was a major issue for voters.

"There was an attempt from Labor and Liberal to bury it, and we were very clear about the need to tackle climate by tackling coal and gas."

Morrison and Albanese earlier cast their votes in Sydney after making whistle-stop tours across marginal seats in the final two days of a campaign dominated by rising living costs, climate change and integrity.

As Labor focussed on spiking inflation and sluggish wage growth, Morrison made the country's lowest unemployment in almost half a century the centrepiece of his campaign's final hours.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3178649/australia-election-anthony-albaneses-opposition-labor-party

Australia election: Anthony Albanese’s opposition Labor Party likely to take power after Scott Morrison concedes defeat

With Scott Morrison conceding defeat, Labor Party leader Anthony Albanese said he hoped to unite Australians who ‘have had enough of division’

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation said Labor won at least 72 seats in the 151-seat parliament, compared with 55 for Morrison’s Liberal-National Coalition

Australia’s Labor Party appeared set to take power for the first time since 2013 after the incumbent Liberal-National coalition led by Prime Minister Scott Morrison declared defeat in Saturday’s closely watched federal election.

cc84e612-43d7-4f6d-bef9-0d0be3e902e1_968

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/20/world/australia-election

Scott Morrison Concedes Defeat in Australian Election

Anthony Albanese and his opposition Labor Party win the government after a campaign focused on personality over policy.

Anthony Albanese and his opposition Labor Party ended nine years of conservative government in Australia on Saturday, as Prime Minister Scott Morrison conceded defeat of the coalition he led.

A handful of races were still too close to call, but early results showed Labor winning at least 72 seats of the 76 needed to form a government. Alliances with independent and minor-party victors would give it a majority if it does not reach 76 seats by itself.

“Tonight, the Australian people have voted for change,” Mr. Albanese said in his victory speech in Sydney, during which he also repeated a theme of his campaign. “It says a lot about our great country that the son of a single mom who was a disability pensioner, who grew up in public housing down the road in Camperdown, can stand before you tonight as Australia’s prime minister.”

The Labor victory, on a campaign promising “renewal not revolution,” makes Mr. Albanese the fourth Labor leader to win the government from the opposition since World War II. After a race that became a referendum on Mr. Morrison and his combative style — in the final days he acknowledged that he could be “a bit of a bulldozer” and promised to change — the results pointed to exhaustion with the incumbent more than enthusiasm for the challenger.

“I’ve always believed in Australians and their judgment, and I’ve always been prepared to accept their verdict,” Mr. Morrison said in conceding.

Polls taken just before Election Day showed that neither candidate had approval ratings over 50 percent. But in the end, Mr. Albanese, who has spent his entire career in Labor Party politics, including 23 years in Parliament, managed to persuade voters that it was time for Labor and its promise of “a better future.”

Political analysts said the conservative Liberal-National coalition faltered in large part because the prime minister had lost the public’s trust as he defended a government pulled to the right by members who refused to seriously tackle problems like climate change, integrity in government and sexual harassment in politics.

Instead of Mr. Morrison’s blustery style — leading a government that passed little memorable legislation but successfully managed the early months of the pandemic — Mr. Albanese promised to be more collaborative, sharing the spotlight and the decision-making.

“He’s got an experienced and pretty talented frontbench, so I expect he will govern in a very collegial way,” said Paul Strangio, a politics professor at Monash University in Melbourne.

Professor Strangio added that while Labor ran a “small target” campaign that reduced the differences between the major parties on hot-button issues — such as taxes and coal — it also rolled out plenty of proposals to keep lawmakers busy for the next three years.

Mr. Albanese has promised to push for a higher minimum wage and for more money for the “caring economy” — child care centers, health care, nursing homes and disability services.

He and his party also pledged to nearly double Australia’s 2030 target for cuts to carbon emissions, bringing the country more in line with other developed countries; to support a federal anti-corruption commission; and to increase foreign aid in a broader plan to tighten relations with Southeast Asia and the Pacific islands to counter China’s growing ambitions.

James Curran, a historian at the University of Sydney, said many of Australia’s most successful Labor leaders — such as Paul Keating or Bob Hawke — exuded charisma and promised big shifts in how Australia worked, domestically and internationally.

Mr. Albanese, by contrast, won with a pitch for workmanlike competence and incremental change.

“Albanese upsets the historic apple cart,” Mr. Curran said. “But maybe our times suit this.”

Victoria Kim contributed reporting.

merlin_207249435_174f5412-7908-465b-9bb4

• Praise 1

many aussies were furious ( furious is an understatement actually) mad Morrison refused to let them return to Australia when covid broke out, stranded many overseas Australians.

Caused a massive outcry, own prime minister dont let its citizens return to home country.

• Praise 2

6 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

It's normal to change ruling parties in a normal democracy. 

They can even change their PM without erection...vote the party leader out can oredi...😁

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Bye bye liar, ‘a hypocrite and a liar’, complete psycho” 

and a “horrible, horrible person”.

:D

Emmanuel Macron Outright Called Scott Morrison A Liar

Barnaby Joyce called Scott Morrison ‘a hypocrite and a liar’ in leaked text message

A private text message exchange between  former NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian and an unnamed Liberal cabinet member allegedly refers to Prime Minister Scott Morrison as a “complete psycho” and a “horrible, horrible person”.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/emmanuel-macron-scott-morrison-liar-g20/

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/feb/04/barnaby-joyce-called-scott-morrison-a-hypocrite-and-a-liar-in-leaked-text-message

https://www.smh.com.au/national/a-complete-psycho-claim-that-gladys-berejiklian-and-liberal-slammed-pm-in-texts-20220201-p59sxs.html

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic

When he knew he would lose he promised to be a nicer person!

A failed politician who will promise anything to be elected!

What happened to "judge me on my record?"

He would promise to sell my MIL just to be in power! 

:D 

Supersonic

Smart Aussies to vto the usrless ones.

Australia has been changing govts so frequently and ir has not disappeared yet! It has not been invaded yet!😇

1 hour ago, Fitvip said:

The ferociously barking lapdog which bit the hand that fed it.

He probably read the ground correctly on this but it didn’t help him to win the election. There are bigger issues facing Australians. 

• Praise 1