Malaysia government to halt export of 3.6 million chickens a month

Tohto

4 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

The supply of IQF version has always been lower, even way before pre-pandemic, pre-Msian chicken ban. That's why I will always buy a pack whenever i see it being sold, esp when it's on discount. Can keep for very long in the freezer and use 1 pc by 1 pc.

Why not get frozen chickens from other sources? 

↡ Advertisement

We cannot always depend on food imports to sustain our food sources. There are plans to grow our own food. Two years ago we were faced with pork and corn price inflation. Now with the war we are facing more inflation on other food sources. Two years later with the gst in full effect, we will really die cxck standing. Growing our own food is really a boh bian situation.

Turbocharged
6 minutes ago, therock said:

Why not get frozen chickens from other sources? 

Yes, these are frozen chicken/chicken parts which we are discussing. @Lala81 was referring specifically to the iqf version where he would then be able to take out individual pieces rather than have to thaw the whole pack, which might be too much for his needs, at one go.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)
15 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Regarding earlier discussions regarding frozen chicken parts, other members have recommended house brand iqf chicken parts like Jean fresh etc. 

As of now, the SS I go to (which is the largest one in the North, and probably only smaller than the ones in tampines and Bedok that I'm aware of) don't have any IQF chicken parts except an european danipro 2kg whole chicken wing pack which costs about 80% more per kg. 

Today bought a packet of peridgao 1kg boneless chicken thighs. All frozen together in one solid block. 

There's no other IQF one that I've seen either at several other ntuc finest/xtra or at this SS. And I've been looking around for several weeks before deciding to buy some this week since I'm almost finishing my market bought chicken from May. 

So far unless u have $$ or like to meal prep or defrost 1kg at a time, IMO there's no practical way to use frozen chicken in small amounts given what's available in the supermarkets. 

I bought this "Jean Fresh" from SS previously. The chicken has a off-taste.

I don't dare to buy this brand anymore.

Kampong Chicken taste much better, although smaller and more expensive.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
16 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

I bought this "Jean Fresh" from SS previously. The chicken has a off-taste.

I don't dare to buy this brand anymore.

Kampong Chicken taste much better, although smaller and more expensive.

My fresh chicken purchase is always kampong chicken. Prefer kampong chicken.

Turbocharged
23 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Boss, no subscription cannot read lah..

i also see summary from fb nia. they hope to deliver by 12 Jul (next week), they hope to send 50k kg.

4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Breakfast this morning.  Price is still $3.50

IMG_5414.jpeg

I tiagong roast chicken not affected by the live chicken ban since they can easily substitute with chilled chicken without affecting the taste and texture.

• Praise 1

Just now, Vratenza said:

I tiagong roast chicken not affected by the live chicken ban since they can easily substitute with chilled chicken without affecting the taste and texture.

I had chicken rice from the same stall a few weeks ago.  Texture of the chicken is really bad.  I guess it could be frozen chicken.

According to the boss, they use kampong chicken now.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

I had chicken rice from the same stall a few weeks ago.  Texture of the chicken is really bad.  I guess it could be frozen chicken.

According to the boss, they use kampong chicken now.

If they use kampong chicken and sell you $3.50, they will run like how the kampong chicken run about.  The different is the kampong chicken road run,  but the chicken rice stall owner run road.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 5

Hypersonic

In the olden days when the Americans dump their grade B stocks here,  I would go KNN si ang moh.  

Then when the PRCs dump their factory over runs here,  I would go CCB ah tiong.  

But first time in my life when I know Indonesia dumping their excess ayam here,  I am like wah terima kasih ah bang.  

Never so happy to be a dumping ground before.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

If they use kampong chicken and sell you $3.50, they will run like how the kampong chicken run about.  The different is the kampong chicken road run,  but the chicken rice stall owner run road.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

The meat texture does not feel like Kampung Chicken. 

I suspect it is broller chicken pretend to be Kampung Chicken.

The chicken is smaller than the broiler chicken.

The boss complains everything goes up except their price.

Price was increased by 50cents a few months ago.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 1

Malaysia can keep their chicken for themselves, some of the chicken farmers will leave the industry because it’s no longer profitable to sell only to the domestic market, there will be less chicken on the market as a result, with the price cap, creates sellers who ignore it or a black market, end up prices will still rise. 

No cheap chicken for you!

If this isn’t shooting oneself in his foot, I don’t know what is.

• Praise 2

Supercharged
4 hours ago, Tohto said:

Boss, no subscription cannot read lah..

Then read this one. about the same.  😁

Indonesia to export chickens to Singapore ‘really soon’: Agriculture ministry

Indonesian companies will start to export chicken products to Singapore “really soon”, said Indonesia’s Ministry of Agriculture in response to CNA’s queries on Wednesday (Jul 6). At the same time, the ministry said that it is working with more businesses to obtain permission to export chicken products to the neighbouring country.

According to the Singapore Food Agency (SFA), three companies from Indonesia were given permission to export chicken meat and chicken meat products into the country. Two of the companies are Indonesian subsidiaries of Thailand-based food conglomerate Charoen Pokphand, while the other is a subsidiary of Indonesian frozen food giant Japfa Comfeed. Mdm Tri Mela Sari, a director at Indonesia’s Ministry of Agriculture told CNA that the three accredited companies have yet to export their products to Singapore.

“How soon these companies can start exporting chickens to Singapore will depend on B2B (business-to-business) negotiations between the Indonesian companies and their (Singaporean) counterparts. How much (chicken meat) would be exported will also depend on the B2B negotiations,” she said.

“We will start exporting really soon. We will let you know when once (the deal) is finalised.”

The ministry’s director of animal product processing and marketing added that there are 12 other Indonesian companies which are currently seeking permission to export chicken products to Singapore. All applications have been submitted to the SFA.

“We are now waiting for the SFA to begin their audit process. The government hopes (the audit) can be conducted soon,” said Mdm Mela Sari.

Last month, a team from the SFA visited Indonesia to audit Indonesia’s food safety and animal health controls. The team visited various facilities such as farms, quarantine stations and laboratories to better understand the regulatory systems in place. The SFA said that individual establishments and farms needed to be evaluated and approved, with detailed documentary evaluations and on-site audits for verification.

According to an estimate by the Ministry of Agriculture last month, Indonesia’s chicken meat production throughout in 2022 is expected to reach 5.9 million tonnes. The domestic demand for chicken meat is estimated to be 5.3 million tonnes this year. This means that there would be an average monthly surplus of around 50,000 tonnes.

“We are experiencing an oversupply (of chicken) domestically. Our surplus is quite a lot,” Mr Nasrullah, the agriculture ministry’s director-general of livestock and animal health who goes by one name, told CNA.

According to the ministry, Indonesia exported around 500 tonnes of chicken last year mainly to its neighbouring country, Timor Leste.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/indonesia-export-chicken-singapore-really-soon-2792146

• Praise 1

On 7/6/2022 at 3:50 PM, Etnt said:

i also see summary from fb nia. they hope to deliver by 12 Jul (next week), they hope to send 50k kg.

Frozen i think.

Don't think SFA can clear live or even chilled that fast.  They are known to be super anal (which is good given these are proteins that will not be frozen before it lands in SG).

Anyway, Indonesia has a ban on imported corn used to feed livestocks, to protect its domestic farmers, which are not exactly efficient, so be prepared to pay more for fresh chicken if it comes.

↡ Advertisement