transfer of HDB flat ownership (non-sale)

Ysc3

Twincharged

my father just passed away earlier this month and the flat is registered under both my parents name.

now my mother wants to replace my father's name with my sister's name into the flat ownership.

anyone had a similar experience of changing HDB flat ownership ? there will be no contest as i already have my own flat.

i was at HDB office the other day and i was told we could do it online ... i read thru the HDB website and fulfil every requirement ... up to the part they say we will need to hire a lawyer ... ?? is the lawyer really a must ?

i am also looking into his bank accounts and some bits of shares .... and i also read need lawyer to apply for probate ...  all these fees and charges ... for i think less than $10k of monies ....

i hope to be able to DIY to cut all these fees.

↡ Advertisement

sorry to hear about your loss.

yes, a lawyer is a must for if need to apply for probate. 

for bank accounts, you can try to withdraw the money before it become frozen for your mum if it's stand alone account.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Strat said:

sorry to hear about your loss.

yes, a lawyer is a must for if need to apply for probate. 

for bank accounts, you can try to withdraw the money before it become frozen for your mum if it's stand alone account.

Why would adding your sisters name into it be necessary though?

Isn't it better to free her name up in case she wants to buy her own in future? Usually the first house she gets comes with subsidies too so putting her name in would be a waste I think.

• Praise 12

20 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

my father just passed away earlier this month and the flat is registered under both my parents name.

now my mother wants to replace my father's name with my sister's name into the flat ownership.

anyone had a similar experience of changing HDB flat ownership ? there will be no contest as i already have my own flat.

i was at HDB office the other day and i was told we could do it online ... i read thru the HDB website and fulfil every requirement ... up to the part they say we will need to hire a lawyer ... ?? is the lawyer really a must ?

i am also looking into his bank accounts and some bits of shares .... and i also read need lawyer to apply for probate ...  all these fees and charges ... for i think less than $10k of monies ....

Condolences bro

Condolences to you and your family...

Why would u wan to put ur sister's name to e flat? It would deny her to get a flat/bto gg forward. Easi to put in a name, but when and if ur sister wants to get her own hdb, cannot take e name out.

• Praise 8

Supersonic
30 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

My condolences to you.

Supersonic
48 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Condolences.

57 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Condolences to you and family. 

Condolences and take care.

like many have spoken before me, do check if there’s a real need to put your sister name into the flat.

if accounts are mainly in joint name then maybe you can try to see if things can be done by surviving party, eg take out the money close account, online redeem shares if have password etc… 

if not, a lawyer is likely needed.

Seems like no will in place, so also have to check if got any other assets in places not known, eg insurance company brokerages and banks. 

Lawyers can help but all cost money.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

My condolences to you and your family.😔

Twincharged

thank you all for your condolences. 

my sis will not be getting a flat herself. my mom just wants to put my sis's name into it so that my sis can take over the flat in future without any hassle.

i also tried to withdraw my dad's money from the ATM but he card was retained when i used it. (very, very old card which is unused for abt 10 years)

my father has been in a blur blur state for about 10 years already ... so we also don't really know what he has. we only know it's not alot.

my insurance agent has suggested to me to ask for a public trustee to help with the shares and bank when the time comes to sign for my dad's CPF.

Condolences. Dealing with the estate after the grief of the passing isn’t easy.

As the guys above have said, do try to convince your family it’s in everyone’s best interests to leave your sister’s name out of your mum’s flat. When she marries or is old enough she can still get a flat. Your mum’s flat can still be fully willed to your sister if that is their wishes, and the sale of the flat she has on hand would be handy (or vice versa). In the meantime it can be passive rental income. This allows for more choices when the time comes.

Lawyers are necessary for probate and this can take up to 3k and a year, they will write in to the main banks and SGX to check whether your father has accounts there, and thereafter prepare a list of assets which, in the absence of a will, would go to your mum.

And encourage your mum to make a will, if she hasn’t already done one up. Old folks feel it is pantang but passing is a certainty so what’s wrong in planning for it?

• Praise 10

@Ysc3 my condolences to you and your family. Let me share what I know, when my sis and I handle the assets left behind by my late dad 4 years ago. 

Let me start with the easier one. For bank account, if they are joint account, the other account owner can just withdraw all the cash amd have the account closed, upon providing the death certificate. If sole name account, need a order from court to settle it. 

For shares and other assets, you need to engage a lawyer and have all these asset transferred to a trustee amd appoint an executor to take care of the asset (family members have to authorise the executor to buy, sell, trade, transfer, donate, etc.) Fee is minimal, probably around $3K+/- which include drafting of necessary documents, submission to court (forgot which one) and advise on asset matters. Shares part, the executor will have to make a few trips to SGX to get all to be transfer to the trust after securing the execution order. 

For HDB, the easiest way is to make an appointment with them (using online portal), go down with the title deed and the officer will advise your mum on the procedure (including appointment of a lawyer for the transfer). After submitting all the documents, wait about 6 weeks to 2 months for the new title deed to be ready. Your mum can either collect it, or leave it with HDB for safe keeping. Fee is about $600 iirc. 

Agree with the other MCFers that get your mum to consider willing the flat to your sis than to put her now as a Co owner, cos once she is the Co owner, the next time she wants to get her own flat (or upgrade) she will be considered a 2md timer and might not enjoy certain benefits given to 1st time applicant. 

Last, take the opportunity to persuade your mum to draft up a will, for the purpose of estate distribution upon her 百年。if you are using the same lawyer for the executor application, smhe/she will be able to advice on what are the estate to be listed and distributed (including the assets from your late dad). 

• Praise 15

Twincharged

@Macrosszero thanks for the info on the timeline and expected costs.

yes, i agree, handling the estate matters has set us thinking also about what we can do to minimize the hassle to my family when its my turn to go.

• Praise 3

My condolences.

My mum also did the same thing for my brother when my dad passed away last year. Not sure what was the procedure but I think should be similar to what @Carbon82described.

↡ Advertisement