Gillman barracks

Wind30

Turbocharged
(edited)

https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/borrowed-close-2-million-cover-operational-costs-gillman-barracks-fb-tenants-asked?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2ExRH2yQzr3ZHM1BXwa3H62bBFPbGetzxTLdusqEUOY0yPQBTiR_5JpAk#Echobox=1653443886

‘anyone familiar with Gillman barracks? Is the naked Finn so much more popular? Why they special?

never been there but I love creamier in tpy. 

I thought g should not let anyone have direct tender of the plan is to redevelop. They could always reaward naked Finn…

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I went there in the past before it went thru renovation. I went for the food there. The restaurant that has Indian/Indon/Thai food. They also cater to the pub/club next door. Got other restaurants like Chinese zichar and western food or smth I cant recall cos it was quite long ago. I also went to a turquoise cafe along malan road. All these F&B are gone after reno. I never went there since.

I also remember someone told me that he reported for NS at the place. It used to be CMPB. This person is obviously quite old. LoL...

Supersonic

Gillman barracks i only went there once, dont remember got what things there. This place location not say very ulu, and yet no business one.

15 minutes ago, Mustank said:

I only know hawker center and coffeeshop 

anything atas don’t want go

stingy

Sad. It wasnt atas back then, food there was cheap depending on what you are eating. It was a little run down. I remember parking on an open gravel area, no carpark lots on some areas. I remember quite a lot of ppl go there. As long as food is cheap ppl will go. Unlike now they pour in money to rejuvenate the place, trying to make it hip but most likely the food is ex(the businesses have to tender to get the space). Nobody will want to go. It will just become another failed project or white elephant.

• Praise 1

This will be one of those projects that the govt stepped in and then failed.

Still remember the carpark van selling food? It was a great idea for a lot of office staffs to get cheap food in the city. Then the govt step in and asked people to bid for licenses, and now? no more this service already.

Not to say Singaporeans no creative ideas, but a lot of ideas gets killed after the govt wants to regulate the ideas.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Sad. It wasnt atas back then, food there was cheap depending on what you are eating. It was a little run down. I remember parking on an open gravel area, no carpark lots on some areas. I remember quite a lot of ppl go there. As long as food is cheap ppl will go. Unlike now they pour in money to rejuvenate the place, trying to make it hip but most likely the food is ex(the businesses have to tender to get the space). Nobody will want to go. It will just become another failed project or white elephant.

Maybe they want to turn this place into another dempsey hill? You see foods in dempsey hill also not say very cheap, and yet many people go there.

Edited by 13177

1 hour ago, Mustank said:

I only know hawker center and coffeeshop 

anything atas don’t want go

stingy

Went there  a few times. Last trip to the handlebar .

All my trips there sit out door. Hot n sweaty like kopitiam.

Food is reasonable.  (But expensive)

I dun know why my friends love to go these places. Other then feeling atas? And pay atas prices.

I rather go kopitiam any day.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
18 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Maybe they want to turn this place into another dempsey hill? You see foods in dempsey hill also not say very cheap, and yet many people go there.

Sammy curry is pretty cheap. I go there pretty often. One of the cheapest fish head curries I think

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
21 minutes ago, 13177 said:

The place has about as many restaurants as a large shopping mall but spaced out alot... so it always looks full but total ppl in the entire area maybe less than in a big shopping mall

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

I like off-road parking

I will park the muddiest dirtiest place :XD:

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Scion said:

some history about the place

glad they never tear it down and replace with another condo

https://remembersingapore.org/2021/12/28/gillman-barracks-history-camp-arts-hub/

it's supposed to be developed into an arts hub...

kind of a good idea, but i guess majority in Singapore are not really into arts

hence the place's not well known

I guess sooner or later they will tear down this place to build condo/BTO, as it is near to the Greater Southern Waterfront development, also property market is huat huat huat. No need to have another arts hub, since there is already one at waterloo st area.

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

Sammy curry is pretty cheap. I go there pretty often. One of the cheapest fish head curries I think

1 hour ago, yishunite said:

The place has about as many restaurants as a large shopping mall but spaced out alot... so it always looks full but total ppl in the entire area maybe less than in a big shopping mall

So only the curry in dempsey hill is cheap? My impression in dempsey hill is foods there not cheap. So i dont go there. Also dempsey hill also quite ulu, need to take bus or drive there, no MRT there. 

Gillman barracks and dempsey hill area reminds me of another place also looks similar like an atas place to me, that seletar aerospace park. Lol.

Supercharged
6 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I guess sooner or later they will tear down this place to build condo/BTO, as it is near to the Greater Southern Waterfront development, also property market is huat huat huat. No need to have another arts hub, since there is already one at waterloo st area.

confirmed....

Supercharged

Gillman Barrack was a SAF Transport camp during my army days in the '80s. Block 9 was officer mess, with officer bunks upstairs. I visited a few times during my uniform days.

Life during then was less hectic. Army food was decent, beer was chilled. It was a different life, but I couldn't wait for ROD.  😁

gillman-barracks-transfer-chief-engineer

item_3.thumbnail.carousel-img.740.416.jp

Block 9

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Didu said:

Gillman Barrack was a SAF Transport camp during my army days in the '80s. Block 9 was officer mess, with officer bunks upstairs. I visited a few times during my uniform days.

Life during then was less hectic. Army food was decent, beer was chilled. It was a different life, but I couldn't wait for ROD.  😁

gillman-barracks-transfer-chief-engineer

item_3.thumbnail.carousel-img.740.416.jp

Block 9

So you were officer la?! 😂 I thought life in ns now is better and good life than last time?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1