Insurance premiums for electric cars can go up to S$5,000 a year

awhtc

20 hours ago, Actan72 said:

beside the 6s to 100km/h... what other benefits buying EV 

I am assuming you're referring to Cat B EV as I do not believe there is any Cat A EV with 6s or < century sprint (reference to 2nd bullet below). I'm not going into the environmental aspects as that is subjective but off my mind:

• Stand out from the crowd because a few of the EVs are head tuners - bad or good up to individual but definitely turns head 🤣
  • A few of the Cat B EVs are also tech laden - similar to phones/computers, consumers want to have the latest technology with futuristic features
  • Smoother & quieter ride
  • Convenience of "refueling" at home at anytime (assuming home-charging available)
  • Privileges (e.g. parking, etc) at certain malls
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, Wolfverine said:

I am assuming you're referring to Cat B EV as I do not believe there is any Cat A EV with 6s or < century sprint (reference to 2nd bullet below). I'm not going into the environmental aspects as that is subjective but off my mind:

• Stand out from the crowd because a few of the EVs are head tuners - bad or good up to individual but definitely turns head 🤣
  • A few of the Cat B EVs are also tech laden - similar to phones/computers, consumers want to have the latest technology with futuristic features
  • Smoother & quieter ride
  • Convenience of "refueling" at home at anytime (assuming home-charging available)
  • Privileges (e.g. parking, etc) at certain malls

Forgot to add to the above -> dont need to check Fuelkaki and can stop visiting the Petrol Price movement forum 😂; in fact, the higher the petrol price, the more $$ you save!!

Edited by Wolfverine
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 5/31/2022 at 10:45 AM, awhtc said:

Insurance premiums for electric cars can go up to S$5,000 a year

In general, the lack of claims data for EVs due to the small population, costlier components such as the battery and fewer workshops with mechanics trained in EV maintenance and repair are some challenges insurers face while formulating the appropriate level of coverage, said several insurers who were responding to queries from The Business Times.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/transport/insurance-premiums-for-electric-cars-can-go-up-to-s5000-a-year

sibeh humblebragging sia buay tahan

why need to mention his McLaren and Ferrari Loll

(edited)
On 5/31/2022 at 3:43 PM, Actan72 said:

beside the 6s to 100km/h... what other benefits buying EV 

What 6s car cost $200k in Sg?  The BMW i4 cost more than $300k. 

Assuming 20,000km distance covered in a year, a 6s ICE will probably cost $6-7k in petrol cost. Electricity should cost $1.5k for the 3? Road tax is $3k for standard model 3 vs $2.4k for a 3L turbo. 

Maintenance should be lower too assuming Tesla claim of 500,000 km battery range is accurate.

According to the article, average insurance cost is $1.5-2.5k without NCD (the deadline is misleading), is it a lot more than ICE car, maybe 1k more a year, at least for me? The maths still works for EV based on current oil price. 

Issue is charging infra.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Assuming 20,000km distance covered in a year, a 6s ICE will probably cost $6-7k in petrol cost. Electricity should cost $1.5k for the 3? Road tax is $3k for standard model 3 vs $2.4k for a 3L turbo. 

Maintenance should be lower too assuming Tesla claim of 500,000 km battery range is accurate.

According to the article, average insurance cost is $1.5-2.5k without NCD (the deadline is misleading), is it a lot more than ICE car, maybe 1k more a year, at least for me? The maths still works for EV based on current oil price. 

Issue is charging infra.

There is no need to go so fast in Singapore.  The EV driver just hits the next traffic light faster only.

• Praise 1

36 minutes ago, awhtc said:

There is no need to go so fast in Singapore.  The EV driver just hits the next traffic light faster only.

It is not the top speed, it is the torque bro but that is not the discussion here. 

10 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Issue is charging infra.

1k per year which add up to 10k for 10 only. Not worth to adjust one lifestyle for a merely 10k imo. 

• Haha! 1

12 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Issue is charging infra.

with all those benefits, i still will not get a EV as not many charging facilities..  the thought of waiting to charge already half sian.. also i need to travel north.... will be a challenge to find a charging spot..

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Issue is charging infra.

Putting aside performance at lower price point. Personally, the issue with adoption is lack of viable EV options for the bread and butter crowd, I.e. price point wise, an equivalent for the CAT A 1.5/1.6L Corollas, Avantes, Ceratos, Civics. Forget about the recent reclassification of EVs in CAT A, that is just forcing cars half a price bracket higher, into a lower COE Category. Helps with increasing affordability but isn't by a long shot going to make it as affordable as mass market bread and butter models, the OMV at $10k+ sort. Until this is resolved, it is still an early adoptors market.

For some EVs like Teslas , despite worldwide claims some years back that they make EVs affordable for the masses, the cheapest model OMV is like close to $60k. That is like OMV of a high spec E-class or 5 series in Singapore already, most e class 5 series OMVs are much much lower. Insurance is also much higher than high risk boyracer tiong chia of yore, wrxs and evos. By no means affordable at all.

For those that can afford it, most prefer to drive or be seen driving a merc than a tesla. The same comparison for lower priced EVs, German entry premium ICE car vs say a MG/BYD/Hyundai. My take, all about price and perceived value. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 5/31/2022 at 6:27 PM, Jellandross said:

I only know few ah sia kias - all told me they started in "blue collar position" in daddy company and eventually promoted to management level purely due to hard work. They say our current PM also reach his status based on same meritocracy 🤔

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

I would have added more LOL if i could just copy and paste. 

Edited by RH1667
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Jtis said:

Putting aside performance at lower price point. Personally, the issue with adoption is lack of viable EV options for the bread and butter crowd, I.e. price point wise, an equivalent for the CAT A 1.5/1.6L Corollas, Avantes, Ceratos, Civics. Forget about the recent reclassification of EVs in CAT A, that is just forcing cars half a price bracket higher, into a lower COE Category. Helps with increasing affordability but isn't by a long shot going to make it as affordable as mass market bread and butter models, the OMV at $10k+ sort. Until this is resolved, it is still an early adoptors market.

For some EVs like Teslas , despite worldwide claims some years back that they make EVs affordable for the masses, the cheapest model OMV is like close to $60k. That is like OMV of a high spec E-class or 5 series in Singapore already, most e class 5 series OMVs are much much lower. Insurance is also much higher than high risk boyracer tiong chia of yore, wrxs and evos. By no means affordable at all.

For those that can afford it, most prefer to drive or be seen driving a merc than a tesla. The same comparison for lower priced EVs, German entry premium ICE car vs say a MG/BYD/Hyundai. My take, all about price and perceived value. 

Actually Tesla is a toy. Despite the green koyok Musk is selling. 

• Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Actually Tesla is a toy. Despite the green koyok Musk is selling. 

Tesla is more of a Home Appliance.

Model 3 will be a toy.

• Haha! 1

33 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Tesla is more of a Home Appliance.

Model 3 will be a toy.

And the Falcons of spaceX are his space toys for Musk's homes on Mars...😁

• Haha! 1

On 6/1/2022 at 4:43 PM, Scion said:

sibeh humblebragging sia buay tahan

why need to mention his McLaren and Ferrari Loll

Becos the premium is more expensive than his father’s Mclaren and his father’s Ferrari mah…….

↡ Advertisement