NEWbrew: Singapore Launches Beer Made With Sewage And Urine In Bid To Conserve Water

DOBIEMKZ

Turbocharged

https://www.republicworld.com/entertainment-news/whats-viral/newbrew-singapore-launches-beer-made-with-sewage-and-urine-in-bid-to-conserve-water-articleshow.html

'Every drop matters' | NEWbrew: Singapore Launches Beer Made With Sewage And Urine In Bid To Conserve Water

Turning urine into beer in Singapore: NewBrew is made out of a liquid which is recycled from sewage, filtered, and pumped into Singapore's water supply.

image.png.ca875fc22efcdd52f25664870cb4797c.png

Last Updated: 29th May, 2022 13:40 IST

A brewery in Singapore is turning urine and sewage into alcoholic beverages in an attempt to be environmentally friendly. 

Taking the brewing experience to a whole new level, the beer is named NEWBrew, which is created with NEWater, Singapore's model of fresh, high-quality recycled water takes the brewery to a whole new level.

As per reports by BBC, it is made of a liquid that is recycled from sewage, filtered, and pumped into Singapore’s water supply. The drink is launched by Singapore’s nationwide water company PUB in affiliation with native craft beer brewery Brewerkz. According to Strait Times, the distinctive beverage “highlights not only that Singapore’s recycled water more than adheres to international standards of safe drinking water, but that it is also clean enough to be used in beer brewing."

"Meanwhile, Brewerkz states that it is a “highly quaffable beer," which is perfectly suitable for Singapore’s tropical climate, “with a smooth, toasted honey-like aftertaste.” Also, 95 per cent of the tropical blonde ale beer is made out of NEWater. It is done using “the finest ingredients, such as premium German barley malts, aromatic Citra and Calypso hops, as well as kveik, a highly-sought-after strain of farm-house yeast from Norway.”

1256028343_ScreenShot2022-06-02at9_31_42PM.thumb.png.00b4bfecea1774a5deac7afdc95fdc93.png

'Sustainable and delicious'

While the inventors of the one-of-a-kind brew claim that the beer proves that "sustainable can be delicious," social media users aren't convinced. People who tried the beer without knowing what it was comprised of had nothing but positive reactions after the initial surprise. 

With the motto "every drop matters," Singapore's national water authority has been recycling sewage to turn it into potable water for years. The initiative, which aims to be sustainable, is a way to combat water scarcity during the dry season.

After the news of this newly brewed beer went viral, netizens had a lot to say. The reactions coming out have been hilarious. While few are sharing memes, others are just shocked. 

One of the users tweeted, “And here I thought the onion beer a friend of mine brewed was weird.”

147478329_ScreenShot2022-06-02at9_27_14PM.thumb.png.bdab34fc45884f2eeac9357417498b67.png

Another user tweeted, “Turning urine into beer in Singapore: NewBrew is made out of a liquid which is recycled from sewage, filtered, and pumped into Singapore's water supply.”

559261001_ScreenShot2022-06-02at9_28_42PM.thumb.png.5272efca26ab236a95836b1b530bbe1e.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha! 7

8 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Angmoh liang teh has gone to a whole new level...I'll consider quitting...😅

Ang MoH Liang Teh brewed in Tiong Kok by AMDK😜

ADB631FB-7574-4323-927B-0387BE93D6C8.jpeg

• Haha! 5

3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Ang MoH Liang Teh brewed in Tiong Kok by AMDK😜

ADB631FB-7574-4323-927B-0387BE93D6C8.jpeg

Day day up?...those were the happy days...😂

• Haha! 4

I fear that some day there will be "food" coming from our shit by recycling also. Then it says "Proudly made in SG", and probably call it "NewFood".

• Haha! 2

38 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

I fear that some day there will be "food" coming from our shit by recycling also. Then it says "Proudly made in SG", and probably call it "NewFood".

You think it isn’t already? Food doesn’t come out of thin air. That’s how the ecosystem works, dead organisms disintegrate and return to the soil, to be absorbed as nutrients for plants, that animals including us eat, and we eat some of those animals too. Perhaps certain types of organic waste become solid or liquid fertilizer for high density farming, etc. 

That being said, I recall that this NEWbeer costs more than normal beer. It’s as though this is more a marketing gimmick than a genuine attempt at selling a product.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic

Why take the trouble to go thru all the brewing process? Just bring a mug into the loo and have it fresh.:XD::yeah-im-not-drunk:

• Haha! 5

17 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Why take the trouble to go thru all the brewing process? Just bring a mug into the loo and have it fresh.:XD::yeah-im-not-drunk:

Must chill it first hor...i tink someone is gonna offer the new brew to his beloved mil...😅

• Haha! 5

12 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Angmoh liang teh has gone to a whole new level...I'll consider quitting...😅

fa02--_1024.jpg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 9

Internal Moderator

I am switching to sake for the time being.

I dun wan to drink and when I was drunk, i find it getting nicer.

It's so wierd. :gangs:

• Haha! 6

Hypersonic
10 hours ago, Starry said:

Why beer?

Cos colour is about the same? 😁

Any impurities hard to detect.

Same colour.

:D

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
4 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I am switching to sake for the time being.

I dun wan to drink and when I was drunk, i find it getting nicer.

It's so wierd. :gangs:

Women also look better after a few drinks.

:D

image.png.3298a85d8b8e6941e698a1fc3f86544b.png

• Haha! 6