You ask the right person.

My MIL knows.

She has helicopter view.

She is ministar material.

And she says

It can go up or down.

:D

13 hours ago, detached2007 said:

Prospective buyer here, hoping to scoop a CAT A within 1 - 1.5 year.

We have been grabbing mostly, but feel that a car is quite an essential with a kid coming along.

Any insights on COE prices in the coming quarters?

Quite disappointed that COE has risen to such levels, I'm quite baffled why are PHV vehicles drawing from the same pool.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

If you take a 10 year loan and you are comfortable with the monthly installments

then

whether COE goes up to 200k or falls to 50k does not affect you at all.

Your monthly installments don't change.

It just psychological.

Edited by Jamesc

This is how Warren Buffett invests

8 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

If you take a 10 year loan and you are comfortable with the monthly installments

then

whether COE goes up to 200k or falls to 50k does not affect you at all.

Your monthly installments don't change.

It just psychological.

15 hours ago, detached2007 said:

We have been grabbing mostly, but feel that a car is quite an essential with a kid coming along.

Quite disappointed that COE has risen to such levels, I'm quite baffled why are PHV vehicles drawing from the same pool.

Not forgetting interest rate for loan also going up. Unless you full cash buy car then no need to worry about the interest. 😆

16 hours ago, detached2007 said:

Bought a car back in end 2020 for the same reason - new kid coming along. Tbh, even though was lucky to get a cat b budget car while coe prices were about 40k, I feel that having a car is overrated- we get scratches and dents on it due to vandals, worry about washing, fuel prices, parking prices, etc. cabbing until the kid turns 1 is viable (think the grab drivers will turn away without car seat). Thereafter, buses(my kid loves buses haha). Even less need if the infant care is near your house. 

Wanted to sell the car and get back what we paid but vetoed by my wife, what to do. 

now with a second kid though, then having a car is useful. Having a boot to store two strollers etc. plus, much harder to manage 2 kids on public transport and even cabs. So looks like I’m stuck with the car and all of its costs for the next few years…

• Praise 4

6 minutes ago, tjyand said:

Bought a car back in end 2020 for the same reason - new kid coming along. Tbh, even though was lucky to get a cat b budget car while coe prices were about 40k, I feel that having a car is overrated- we get scratches and dents on it due to vandals, worry about washing, fuel prices, parking prices, etc. cabbing until the kid turns 1 is viable (think the grab drivers will turn away without car seat). Thereafter, buses(my kid loves buses haha). Even less need if the infant care is near your house. 

Wanted to sell the car and get back what we paid but vetoed by my wife, what to do. 

now with a second kid though, then having a car is useful. Having a boot to store two strollers etc. plus, much harder to manage 2 kids on public transport and even cabs. So looks like I’m stuck with the car and all of its costs for the next few years…

I agree with the scratches and dents on door as gotten them just 2 weeks after collecting new car and there's no way to prevent this.

Gotten mine early 2021 before the coe start shooting up and during that time my kid was 2 yo. before that depend on public transport but the experience is not good especially at peak hour and public holiday. Initially we think not having a car is okay but the final straw came on CNY 1st day when we couldn't get a taxi and grab for about an hour.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, darviathan said:

I agree with the scratches and dents on door as gotten them just 2 weeks after collecting new car and there's no way to prevent this.

Gotten mine early 2021 before the coe start shooting up and during that time my kid was 2 yo. before that depend on public transport but the experience is not good especially at peak hour and public holiday. Initially we think not having a car is okay but the final straw came on CNY 1st day when we couldn't get a taxi and grab for about an hour.

That’s true, there are some conveniences of car ownership that cannot be gotten anywhere else. 

there are also some inconveniences- the scratch and dent bit is damn irritating- knowing you pay essentially leaving a 100k plus piece of metal out for anyone to damage, petrol, parking, all of that… 

ultimately, whether or not to buy depends on whether from the buyer’s perspective the conveniences outweigh the inconveniences. 

if it were up to me, I rather take the money and spend on a bigger/nicer house instead. But that’s just me 😬

• Praise 2

22 minutes ago, tjyand said:

That’s true, there are some conveniences of car ownership that cannot be gotten anywhere else. 

there are also some inconveniences- the scratch and dent bit is damn irritating- knowing you pay essentially leaving a 100k plus piece of metal out for anyone to damage, petrol, parking, all of that… 

ultimately, whether or not to buy depends on whether from the buyer’s perspective the conveniences outweigh the inconveniences. 

if it were up to me, I rather take the money and spend on a bigger/nicer house instead. But that’s just me 😬

Take grab .. help the people in the gig economy.. did not realised that 4 out of 5 Singaporean need a second job to survive… obviously having a good head on your shoulder and working hard won’t make it.. used to be if u meet the bare minimum of a university, u have no worries of having a good job

Supersonic
57 minutes ago, tjyand said:

No wonder all those people who against buying car before having any kid, but eventually ended up buying a car after having kid is like a bit self contradicting?! 😂

Supersonic
51 minutes ago, darviathan said:

Getting taxi and PHV on those special day like CNY period is difficult. Even during peak hours also difficult to get a taxi, and then the PHV price would be double or triple during peak hours. So having a car surely is better la if you are able to afford it. Even though many people always say car is not necessary at all in sg context, esp when our public transport is so accessible and convenience.

• Praise 3

If the purpose of buying a car is to ferry a newborn around

why worry about dents and scratches.

If the purpose of getting a car is pride in the look of the car then scratches and dents are very important.

What is the real purpose of a car?

Secondly a good quality second hand car can ferry the new born just like a brand new car

But if the new car is to show status and face and howlian howlian a bit then a new car is very important!

Please don't confuse the two.

• Praise 2

If you don't know what you want in life

you will just get the wrong thing.

Many wives say its for the newborn but often is to show face and howlian howlian

I like couples like this because I can always upsell them.

The poor hubby worried about the cost and the wife just want face!

Face is not cheap!

• Haha! 1

Then I count the money

and forget it and just move on.

never hold on to things.

Put it down and learn to move on.

My fren nephew came to buy a car from me.

He wanted a Teana to match his status as a successful insurance salesman

I told him high taxes, drinks fuel and high maintenance.

He said I see him no up and went to my competitor and bought a Teana.

2 years Covid no business has to sell the Teana and he is now driving a PHV.

If only he bought a B & B car from me he don't have to sell his car and rent a PHV

He can use the B & B car to do his PHV.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Getting taxi and PHV on those special day like CNY period is difficult. Even during peak hours also difficult to get a taxi, and then the PHV price would be double or triple during peak hours. So having a car surely is better la if you are able to afford it. Even though many people always say car is not necessary at all in sg context, esp when our public transport is so accessible and convenience.

True, some conveniences are definitely unique, and would be very important to certain people who would then be willing to secure a car no matter what the coe price is 😊

• Haha! 1

52 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

If the purpose of buying a car is to ferry a newborn around

why worry about dents and scratches.

If the purpose of getting a car is pride in the look of the car then scratches and dents are very important.

What is the real purpose of a car?

Secondly a good quality second hand car can ferry the new born just like a brand new car

But if the new car is to show status and face and howlian howlian a bit then a new car is very important!

Please don't confuse the two.

Purpose of marrying the wife is for companionship and raising a family, why worry so much and talk so much about the MIL? 😉

• Haha! 1

Just now, tjyand said:

Purpose of marrying the wife is for companionship and raising a family, why worry so much and talk so much about the MIL? 😉

Its a package deal.

Buy one get the whole lot

and no returns and no refunds.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2