COE Bidding – June 2022

Carbon82

“Since late last year, the gap has grown from a few thousand dollars to a wide chasm of around $30,000. This difference reflects a wealth disparity which has became starker since the Covid-19 pandemic.”

He is assuming that rich people won’t be caught dead driving a Cat A car.  You think so? Honda Civic is a Cat A car, is it considered an un-glamorous by most people in Sg?

“One way of fixing this is to refine the COE system by removing the Open category. This category was put in place in the early years of the system, when tenders were held once a month. It served as a "safety valve" to temper bids from aggressive or speculative bidders.

All things being equal, removing the Open category and redistributing its COEs to the other categories is likely to ease bidding pressure for buyers and sellers of commercial vehicles and smaller cars.

Well, that can be solved if the power cap in Category A can be raised for electric and full hybrid models.”

By re-classifying more cars under Cat A, won’t more drivers need to bid under Cat A since the car they want is a Cat A car and increase the price like LEXITON said, 200K?

The real problem is over-crowding in Sg.  But we are powerless to change that so we are forced to out-bid each other, witness more road rage, fist fight with each other when we jostle for more driving space.

BTW, anyone out there driving a Cat A car with a Cat E COE? Do Tesla owners really do their own COE bidding?

↡ Advertisement

On 6/9/2022 at 8:49 AM, Jamesc said:

New cars are bought by petrol station owners, restaurant owners, all the business owners that keep putting up their prices lah 

:D

income tax will now check what they did not declare

• Praise 1

Cant help but feel the roads are super congested nowadays. Ever since pple starting returning to office. The amount of good vehicles vans and lorries is astoundingly high nowadays especially on the highway. Lane 2,3 and 4 all lorries, vans, heavy vehicles 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
22 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

Cant help but feel the roads are super congested nowadays. Ever since pple starting returning to office. The amount of good vehicles vans and lorries is astoundingly high nowadays especially on the highway. Lane 2,3 and 4 all lorries, vans, heavy vehicles 

And many more accidents now involving heavy vehicles vs cars. ://

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, SLing said:

“Since late last year, the gap has grown from a few thousand dollars to a wide chasm of around $30,000. This difference reflects a wealth disparity which has became starker since the Covid-19 pandemic.”

He is assuming that rich people won’t be caught dead driving a Cat A car.  You think so? Honda Civic is a Cat A car, is it considered an un-glamorous by most people in Sg?

“One way of fixing this is to refine the COE system by removing the Open category. This category was put in place in the early years of the system, when tenders were held once a month. It served as a "safety valve" to temper bids from aggressive or speculative bidders.

All things being equal, removing the Open category and redistributing its COEs to the other categories is likely to ease bidding pressure for buyers and sellers of commercial vehicles and smaller cars.

Well, that can be solved if the power cap in Category A can be raised for electric and full hybrid models.”

By re-classifying more cars under Cat A, won’t more drivers need to bid under Cat A since the car they want is a Cat A car and increase the price like LEXITON said, 200K?

He is a moron who dont understand simple demand and supply. Obviously if u throw all the EV which eventually supposed to be 100% of all vehicles then demand will skyrocket and Cat A will ironically be the expensive Cat. The numbers from Open wont be enough to compensate coz Open quota is so small. Already small move of EV into Cat A cause it to skyrocket. Rich ppl just trying to get away with not paying so much so send the cost to Cat A

• Haha! 1

23 hours ago, SLing said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/on-the-ground-coe-breaching-100000-can-be-a-good-thing

Any subscriber to share full article?  I thinks he suggests getting rid of Cat E, Cat A too cheap, PHV's cause COE inflation, too many rich people etc.  I still don't understand all his suggestions.  I think MCFers will know enough to debate him.  (Sorry Mikk123, think I posted same time as you.  Didn't see your post)

Just register for non-paid account, can read a few articles for free. 

10 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

Cos of all the lazada, taobao, shopee, carousell, aliexpress etc etc mah

• Praise 1

On 6/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, SLing said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/on-the-ground-coe-breaching-100000-can-be-a-good-thing

Any subscriber to share full article?  I thinks he suggests getting rid of Cat E, Cat A too cheap, PHV's cause COE inflation, too many rich people etc.  I still don't understand all his suggestions.  I think MCFers will know enough to debate him.  (Sorry Mikk123, think I posted same time as you.  Didn't see your post)

Just go download NLB Mobile app and read all local newspapers for free. 

https://apps.apple.com/sg/app/nlb-mobile/id1147053983

• Praise 9

@Silverkris 

Good breakdown. Jus thinking if we can avoid overcomplicating the mechanics for a simple truth, zero car growth policy for cars for commercial, rich and the masses.

Commercial should be left to mkt forces.

The rest should look at omw value solely to delineate luxury and mass mkt trims. 

Twincharged
(edited)
On 6/10/2022 at 9:08 AM, mikk123 said:

Chris commented on today's ST. He suggest putting Open Quota into A and/or flatten the COE supply to avoid fluctuation. I think it is good. It is just that the decision makers want to avoid extra work and just kill time in the office waiting for retirement. 

Why would they want to do that. What’s wrong with collecting more? 🤣

but then you need to realize that not many high coe cars live out their 10years. I would think 60-70% would be scrapped to take advantage of the lower coe periods. 
Eg many 2012-2014 cars would have been scrapped by 2018 to with coe being 1/2 to 1/3 of that. 
so in the end LTA also doesn’t reap the full benefit of high coe. 
I would think the money is spread around the car industry with cars scrapped early. 

Edited by Mkl22

3 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

even with 70k CATA COE, 200k  list price for 216 grand coupe with 109 bhp seems really high  😅https://carbuyer.com.sg/2022-bmw-216i-gran-coupe-review-singapore-price/

Car buyer has been very kind on the reviews. BMW with no leather seats as "almost like leather"; simple interior as "non-distracting", less powerful as "satisfied on driving experience"

• Haha! 8

Supercharged
6 minutes ago, Silverkris said:

Car buyer has been very kind on the reviews. BMW with no leather seats as "almost like leather"; simple interior as "non-distracting", less powerful as "satisfied on driving experience"

Just read with a pinch of salt lor. Most importantly is must go down to showroom, molest the car and test drive. You are the one who decides if the car is worth the money that you are paying for. 

• Praise 4

7 minutes ago, Silverkris said:

Lol must wait for jackie from motorist to review then maybe all the bad points will come out