Public parking in private estate grumbles!

Chrispie

Sometimes i really wonder what makes some of these house owners think that they own the road outside their houses too. So often you see people put their trashbins along the kerb just to prevent others from parking outside their houses.

I mean, the road is common property, and if there is no double yellow lines or whatsoever, it is LEGAL to park. Even if there is dbl yellow line, i can still park if i want as i am taking the risks in getting a summon.

Yesterday, i parked outside this house along carpmael road (off joochiat).. there is no marking on the road, so its legal. The kerb between the 2 houses is actually long enough to accomodate my car length. I even got out the car after i parked to ensure i am not obstructing any of the unit's entrance...

When i return to my car.. someone actually leaned the trashbin AGAINST (not just near) my driver's door. It is just sickening to the core. I was tempted to ring the bell of the house but even if they did, they will deny the deed. And yes, there is a chance its really not them, but the mischieve of some boliao people.

I had seen before, a house owner after moving away his vehicle from the spot outside his house, will actually place the bin in the same spot then drive off...what i did then was to remove the bin and park there.

For house owners that are in the forum here, do you use bins to chop the road outside your house too? And do you have the possessive mindset of the road outside your houses too? seen too many examples at these estates.

↡ Advertisement

may i also add that there was once.. i remove the bin to park, the owner actually came out to tell me i cannot park there! I said its common property, and he said his son is coming back soon and he will need to park there... WTF?!!

I don't own a house... so I can't truly condone what the house owner does to make life convenient for himself. I also experience this frustration when sometimes when want to park in a private estate for a quick bite at a nearby cofeeshop (I mean at the most going to be there for half hour anyway, and would be long gone by the time the house owner comes after work at night).

However, I also see from the other side of the coin the frustration the houseowner sometimes faces. Sometimes, people who visit the coffeeshop park for a long while in the evening, or others take advantage of free parking and leave the car there for many hours. e house owner comes home... can't park near his house, and must park many streets away. It's a similar frustration at a MSCP, when season parking returns ..but all the season lots taken up by visitors who eat at nearby coffeeshops, and season parkers must go right to the top deck of carpark. And no parking attendants to summon the visitors from parking in season lots. So I understand why the owners do it - though I don't agree with the actions.

i feel that the difference is this..

say MSCP, if the person doesnt put coupon, and no action was taken by HDB, then it is indeed frustrating.

But along the street where parking on that spot is legal, it is a first come first serve basis. The house owner has no right over that stretch at all. As long as the driver parked his car properly and not in the way of the entry and exit of the owner's car in anyway, the owner has no say at all about the action of the driver. Anyway, the house should already has a car porch. If he is to have more than one car, he should had considered parking issue of the additional cars in the first place.

So if along the street, a few houses all has a few cars per household, then how? I chop you you chop me, i put bins at your door and all? Very often i reckon there is not enough kerbs to go around the houses for all the cars.

• Praise 1

may i also add that there was once.. i remove the bin to park, the owner actually came out to tell me i cannot park there! I said its common property, and he said his son is coming back soon and he will need to park there... WTF?!!

Haha... i did that before too. The uncle told me to move my car as that "lot is reserved"... WTF. Told him that I only take orders from Police in the public. Then he said he is police!! KNN!! So told him to go home put on his uniform then come and talk to me and that I'll be in the coffeeshop waiting for him.... then I turned away and walked off... he LL tiam tiam.

And btw, it was not even a bin... it was only a cardboard box that looked like some rubbish someone threw away. Want to reserve lot at least use something solid mah. Think he scared kanna fine so use box to reserve so that can deny completely when police come knocking. Weakling...

Edited by Ultramega

in cases like these... often we are a losing end.. if your car is being scratched etc.. you wont be able to pin point exactly its them, so you have everything to lose...

Last nite.. i was so tempted to kick the bin into the deep drain.. but on 2nd tot.. forget it, dont want to stoop as low as the doer. Plus.. i go there very often (gf stays near the area), if they recg my car.. nx time i see a scratch or what.. bo hua liao...

i feel that the difference is this..

say MSCP, if the person doesnt put coupon, and no action was taken by HDB, then it is indeed frustrating.

But along the street where parking on that spot is legal, it is a first come first serve basis. The house owner has no right over that stretch at all. As long as the driver parked his car properly and not in the way of the entry and exit of the owner's car in anyway, the owner has no say at all about the action of the driver. Anyway, the house should already has a car porch. If he is to have more than one car, he should had considered parking issue of the additional cars in the first place.

So if along the street, a few houses all has a few cars per household, then how? I chop you you chop me, i put bins at your door and all? Very often i reckon there is not enough kerbs to go around the houses for all the cars.

yep...it's a no win situation... worse, if you garang and park and go off... who knows, when come back see a broken window with a brick through it... and no witnesses. So in the end, it may be less frustrating to find other parking than fight with this kind of owners.

I can see it from the POV of private property owners. True, the owner could've considered available interior space for parking before buying more cars - but the fact remains that more than one driver often lives in the same house, and they may need separate cars (jobs may depend on it). So they are also boh pian. In any case, it should be sort of "understood" that they have first dibs on the legal space immediately outside their property. Because where else are they going to park their cars when they return home from a hard day of work + overtime, etc.? By taking their usual place, you might be forcing them to park in a neighbor's lot, and the neighbor may also need that space, and the whole problem just gets perpetuated.

Let me turn it around for people like Chrispie. Why do people who come to drink coffee need to take these lots (in the example that Parkingidiot gave)? Can't they just pay for parking near the coffee-stall in designated public lots or a nearby MSCP? Are the authorities to blame for poor-planning in the provision of insufficient paid parking near the stall? Or are some public members just trying to be cheapos?

And if you're accusing these private owners of being poor in planning their parking requirements, why do you do the same thing and drive to your gf's house, which clearly can't accommodate your car as well? If you've anticipated the issue, why don't you just take public or ask your gf to come get you, or meet in another venue, etc.?

It's very easy to be self-righteous and exacting of others when you haven't walked in someone else's shoes, right?

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Haha... i did that before too. The uncle told me to move my car as that "lot is reserved"... WTF. Told him that I only take orders from Police in the public. Then he said he is police!! KNN!! So told him to go home put on his uniform then come and talk to me and that I'll be in the coffeeshop waiting for him.... then I turned away and walked off... he LL tiam tiam.

And btw, it was not even a bin... it was only a cardboard box that looked like some rubbish someone threw away. Want to reserve lot at least use something solid mah. Think he scared kanna fine so use box to reserve so that can deny completely when police come knocking. Weakling...

If on the spot and you call the real police to come down, he will be in deep s--t..... [lipsrsealed][sweatdrop]

I can see it from the POV of private property owners. True, the owner could've considered available interior space for parking before buying more cars - but the fact remains that more than one driver often lives in the same house, and they may need separate cars (jobs may depend on it). So they are also boh pian. In any case, it should be sort of "understood" that they have first dibs on the legal space immediately outside their property. Because where else are they going to park their cars when they return home from a hard day of work + overtime, etc.? By taking their usual place, you might be forcing them to park in a neighbor's lot, and the neighbor may also need that space, and the whole problem just gets perpetuated.

Let me turn it around for people like Chrispie. Why do people who come to drink coffee need to take these lots (in the example that Parkingidiot gave)? Can't they just pay for parking near the coffee-stall in designated public lots or a nearby MSCP? Are the authorities to blame for poor-planning in the provision of insufficient paid parking near the stall? Or are some public members just trying to be cheapos?

And if you're accusing these private owners of being poor in planning their parking requirements, why do you do the same thing and drive to your gf's house, which clearly can't accommodate your car as well? If you've anticipated the issue, why don't you just take public or ask your gf to come get you, or meet in another venue, etc.?

It's very easy to be self-righteous and exacting of others when you haven't walked in someone else's shoes, right?

Sometimes it is the way the 2 parties communicate.

Had the house owner talk nicely to TS and explain the reason to him, including asking him how long he is going to park cos owner is waiting for other family member to come back and need that lot, then it might be a probable win win situation. It is a give and take situation....

If on the spot and you call the real police to come down, he will be in deep s--t..... [lipsrsealed][sweatdrop]

MIB will tell u no witness no case [rolleyes]

MIB will tell u no witness no case [rolleyes]

Never mind lah... :D At least scare the crap out of the house owner's pants..... [lipsrsealed][:p]

Never mind lah... :D At least scare the crap out of the house owner's pants..... [lipsrsealed][:p]

Old man, b careful....might get a heart attack! [:p]

Sometimes it is the way the 2 parties communicate.

Had the house owner talk nicely to TS and explain the reason to him, including asking him how long he is going to park cos owner is waiting for other family member to come back and need that lot, then it might be a probable win win situation. It is a give and take situation....

This I agree with. [nod]

Of course if either of the two parties was hao-lian and didn't care, then too bad, no resolution. And personally, if I asked very nicely and was rebuffed by a rude guy who just heck-care and parked there anyway...well, maybe it's time to play "scratch and win" as the STOMPers put it. Much as I generally disapprove of that sort of behaviour, some buggers just deserve it.

(edited)

my gf stays on a walk up apartment, NO CARPARK can? The only place i can park is along those street.

The fact remains, the street is public. Period. So have you seen those shops where they put their stuff on a carpark lot outside their shopspace to chop those public lots for themselves? (like geylang area), imagine, you need a parking space, area very busy, so cant find place to park, and you found a lot but its occupied by a pail. WHAT IS YOUR REACTION? Do you think "oh.. they are running a biz.. i can understand. '

There is also a church around the area, and where do you think the church goers park as well? They even go up the pavement! Come on, be real.

i know the area very well. What for i buy a car, if she need to drive to get me, or i go take public transport. And because i know the area well, I KNOW EXACTLY THE LEGAL SPOTS, AND THE EXACT KERBS where i can park so as not to obstruct anyone. I did my part within the constraints of the area, so how can the house owner simply take laws in their own hand?

Yes I am cheapo.. but only idiot will go pay a few dollars for a parking lot, when you know you can park for free just a street away without the fear of whether you tore enough coupon. Need to pay vs free, use some common sense.

no offence to turboflat4, but talk about self righteous, do put things in persepective first.

Edited by Chrispie

my gf stays on a walk up apartment, NO CARPARK can? The only place i can park is along those street.

Too bad. Then take public. Or just ask your gf come outside to the pick-up point and go have fun elsewhere. It sounds like you visit very often and inconvenience the people who actually OWN PROPERTY there and who therefore have a greater RIGHT to that space.

See? I can SHOUT too. [rolleyes]

The fact remains, the street is public. Period. So have you seen those shops where they put their stuff on a carpark lot outside their shopspace to chop those public lots for themselves? (like geylang area), imagine, you need a parking space, area very busy, so cant find place to park, and you found a lot but its occupied by a pail. WHAT IS YOUR REACTION? Do you think "oh.. they are running a biz.. i can understand. Dont bullsh!t k?

YES, THAT IS EXACTLY MY REACTION. Don't pretend to know what others are thinking and talk c--k, "k"? They run a business, they need a drop-off/pick-up point, and piss-poor gahmen planning has left them with no choice. I don't fight with these shop owners in Little India, for example, where a lot of this happens. Is "live and let live" a concept that's completely alien to you?

There is also a church around the area, and where do you think the church goers park as well? They even go up the pavement! Come on, be real.

Again, poor planning. The church should provide adequate parking. The church goers are welcome to take public road space, but they should do it with due consideration for people actually residing there.

i know the area very well. What for i buy a car, if she need to drive to get me, or i go take public transport. And because i know the area well, I KNOW EXACTLY THE LEGAL SPOTS, AND THE EXACT KERBS where i can park so as not to obstruct anyone. I did my part within the constraints of the area, so how can the house owner simply take laws in their own hand?

Clearly, you're an arrogant chap that can't see it from the POV of anyone else. Would you like to come home from a hard-day's work or gruelling night shift only to find that you have to keep circling for a half-hour just to park your car? Your inability to empathise is staggering. OK, the owner might've spoken in a demanding tone of voice to you - but we only have your account to adjudge that, don't we? And judging by the tone of your posts, you're not the most objective, rational or empathetic person, so I'm inclined to give the poor home owners the benefit of the doubt - you probably wouldn't budge even if they asked very nicely and made a compelling case. You're just that sort of special self-entitled Sillyporean.

Yes I am cheapo..

Glad you have insight at least.

but only idiot will go pay a few dollars for a parking lot, when you know you can park for free just a street away without the fear of whether you tore enough coupon. Need to pay vs free, use some common sense.

Use some consideration, instead of thinking in your default cheapo mode all the time.

Edited by Turboflat4

(edited)

you are just as good as the trashbin.

Like you said, they own the property, not the road.

Go check up meaning on Public.

Its spelt P U B L I C. But i think you only know what is pubic.

Edited by Chrispie

you are just as good as the trashbin.

And you're just as good as the used tampon inside.

Does us going at it like 6-year olds make this discussion better?

↡ Advertisement