Tesla lays off Singapore Country Manager

Jamesc

On 6/14/2022 at 3:00 PM, Etnt said:

when new iphone release, u got see pple go see/feel/touch/play before buying? most phones sold out within the first few days before they display set even hit the stores. same for tesla lar, modern appliance/gadget, dun need test drive one.

Buying a phone is different from buying a car, there are many things to touch and feel and drive before buying a car. To say ordering a car from internet  without physically seeing it is not what many would do, especially car being the 2nd largest spending item in sgp after property. I knwo there might be some who order a car or even a property without seeing it, but those are exceptions than norm.

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

Buying a phone is different from buying a car, there are many things to touch and feel and drive before buying a car. To say ordering a car from internet  without physically seeing it is not what many would do, especially car being the 2nd largest spending item in sgp after property. I knwo there might be some who order a car or even a property without seeing it, but those are exceptions than norm.

Exactly. A car is something you actually need to experience for yourself when you drive/operate it. Whether the seats are comfortable, got enough space for your stuff, whether visibility is ok while driving, all these things are important.

• Praise 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:28 PM, Carbon82 said:

Actually with most of the sales concluded online, and a flat pricing across the globe, what are the roles and KPIs of this Country Manager? With Singapore being the smallest market, I believe the role can be covered by other country managers in the region. 

I popped by Tesla showroom at Toa Payoh on 1 Saturday and am surprised that the showroom is not in operation. A quick check on their website shows that they only open for business from Monday to Friday. Weekends traffic is definitely higher than weekdays, yet they chose to close their door on weekends? Strange move... 

Maybe they found out that the weekend crowds are mainly browsers with no serious intention to buy 

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Maybe they found out that the weekend crowds are mainly browsers with no serious intention to buy 

The boss is not conventional and he is a multi billionaire. I am sure he knows what he is doing. If it can reduce the prices of the cars I am all for it. If it is cheap enough no need to see feel touch I will also buy. 

Turbocharged
On 6/18/2022 at 1:13 PM, Benarsenal said:

Exactly. A car is something you actually need to experience for yourself when you drive/operate it. Whether the seats are comfortable, got enough space for your stuff, whether visibility is ok while driving, all these things are important.

I’ve seen quite a few youngster car buying process is just comparing online the specs, price, review to see which more wuhua. Test drive is really secondary. Go down is only to negotiate and sign. 

if all can be done online, I’m pretty sure they would do it

15 minutes ago, Etnt said:

I’ve seen quite a few youngster car buying process is just comparing online the specs, price, review to see which more wuhua. Test drive is really secondary. Go down is only to negotiate and sign. 

if all can be done online, I’m pretty sure they would do it

To each their own la. Just don't regret after buying.

For me I test drove the Tesla and I just simply cannot accept their big screen system, which I find far too distracting. So for me that is a definite no go.

Turbocharged

Just saying the difference in car buying behavior between what I see in the younger gen and old farts.

to them, it seems peer affirmation plus online review matter much more

4 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

To each their own la. Just don't regret after buying.

For me I test drove the Tesla and I just simply cannot accept their big screen system, which I find far too distracting. So for me that is a definite no go.

I can't stand it without even sitting in the car! Just saw from photos and videos. 

Neutral Newbie

In this case, it is not good news for the manager, we don't know about the feel of the manager. In other words, it's a new opportunity for another one. Although I think he was in a very stressful situation, I think he was in a very pressured position probably, It would be very hard for us if we were in the same position, and it would be very bad. We should not make fun of another's bad for the sake of making fun of ourselves.  

↡ Advertisement