Upsize battery better?

Mkl22

@Fcw75 Yup - I use a wet battery till 3.5 years then it says goodbye to me.

Of course, need to top up the battery water as and when especially u pack outdoor. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The main function of the battery is starting the car.

After that, the power for the electrics & electronics is coming from the alternator. 

I don't see how a bigger battery which is heavier can improve the power & fuel economy.

In fact a smaller battery is lighter and may improve the acceleration, handling & fuel economy.

• Praise 2

On 6/18/2022 at 2:22 PM, Raychay said:

After that, the power for the electrics & electronics is coming from the alternator. 

I don't see how a bigger battery which is heavier can improve the power & fuel economy.

In fact a smaller battery is lighter and may improve the acceleration, handling & fuel economy.

In the event the engine speed goes down below 2500rpm or at idle, the alternator may not be able to generate enough current to feed the engine system and electric powered accessories, the balance requirements must come from the battery. The battery not only provide power for cranking the engine, it is also a spare reservoir of power.

So a 10% oversize is not a bad idea for car that do not frequently travel long distant.

On 6/18/2022 at 7:07 PM, ER-3682 said:

Off Topic a bit..anyone know how long the Toyota Camry Hybrid..the small Battery behind the Boot can lasts.?

base on my experience with GS450h (should be similar set up, both Toyota anyway😁), the battery in the boot of the car can last about 2-3yrs.

The then noob-to-hybrids me only realised that the huge massive hybrid battery is not used for cranking the car😄

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Bigger is not always better.

In my experience some times too big cannot fit.

:D

I can empathize 😁

• Haha! 2

On 6/18/2022 at 2:22 PM, Raychay said:

It's like wearing a bigger swimming trunk - if you don't need it, it will just drag down your performance.  Wear something of the right size!

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Vratenza said:

I can empathize 😁

I can relate...and I'm not referring to the swimming trunk but what's underneath the trunk 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1