Shopee To Reportedly Retrench Food Delivery & E-Payment Staff In Southeast Asia, Will Offer Support

kobayashiGT

Turbocharged
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Precisely my point loh.. the govt said can mid career switch.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

can lah.. be machinist.. check engine blade.. check bearing.. overhaul interior panels.. toilet.. all these don sound as a career switch.. or i missing some job/position a 50s year old can switch to? Even as a trained engineer who out of the industry say 10 years not easy to find a position..

alot of time employer will measure their ROI.. to train a mid 20s/30s compare to mid 50s.. the choice is clear..

There's age discrimination for sure. Mid career at 40s and above can only get scraps of the jobs available that most people shun. Example, f&b manager and other type of service related job have lah [laugh]

Society here does not recognize value of trained machinist these days. Everyone thinks can just do design in CAD and program a CNC, press buttons, to fabricate parts; worse, now some think 3D printing is the answer to everything. Our youth in schools nowadays hardly learn woodworking or metalworking in D&T. Mainly sketch design concepts on tablet devices, discuss issues like sustainability in design/materials, coding, 3D printing.... clean neat and simple. Tools too dangerous, later got accident, endless answering to parents.

And don't get me started about drones! [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

3 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Yeah. All the young kids now know Python. Only old people know visual C. Lol.

Wow, I learnt turbo pascal, c language... :D I am very old.... 

3 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Precisely my point loh.. the govt said can mid career switch.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

can lah.. be machinist.. check engine blade.. check bearing.. overhaul interior panels.. toilet.. all these don sound as a career switch.. or i missing some job/position a 50s year old can switch to? Even as a trained engineer who out of the industry say 10 years not easy to find a position..

alot of time employer will measure their ROI.. to train a mid 20s/30s compare to mid 50s.. the choice is clear..

Is there a mid career switch to "Mayor"? I dun mind taking a yr or 2 training. :D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Supersonic
5 hours ago, Lala81 said:

dunno how to code. but learnt something new today. Obfuscator..

Reminds me of the good ole days. When I went back to Navy reservist, they got nothing planned for me. Everyday there do nothing. So I bought a book on VisualBasic and learn some programming diy. I think I make something out of it, when I'm finished with the reservist. 😁

But programming not my cup of tea. I gave up.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Yeah. All the young kids now know Python. Only old people know visual C. Lol.

Is BASIC older than visual C? That would qualify me to be older than old.... 😅

Turbocharged
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Most definitely. In the days of BASIC - the 80s - MS-DOS was the O/S, and there being no "Windows", there was no "visual" [laugh] I also started with BASIC. Those days, PC boot up to a Command Prompt C:\> so programming came naturally.

Some archaic languages like Fortran and Cobol never really went extinct. Cobol may still be around in use, but Fortran I am not so sure.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

wah ... many mei mei will join T2 brotherhood ... to average down the age ... lol

@Throttle2 was the Chairman ... but he left the brotherhood liao ... :grin:

Edited by Wt_know

38 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

wah ... many mei mei will join T2 brotherhood ... to average down the age ... lol

@Throttle2 was the Chairman ... but he left the brotherhood liao ... :grin:

maybe i will return as Chairman leh, since no one take the position here

Turbocharged

when the money are plentiful and times are good, the tech companies dun mind paying large salaries to hire software and computer science people, even the fresh grads

now some signs of slowing growth and recession, they are the first to mass layoff...

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
12 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Most definitely. In the days of BASIC - the 80s - MS-DOS was the O/S, and there being no "Windows", there was no "visual" [laugh] I also started with BASIC. Those days, PC boot up to a Command Prompt C:\> so programming came naturally.

Some archaic languages like Fortran and Cobol never really went extinct. Cobol may still be around in use, but Fortran I am not so sure.

wah lao eh...i must be ancient

i learnt fortran77 in school

😱😓

• Haha! 2

43 minutes ago, Scion said:

when the money are plentiful and times are good, the tech companies dun mind paying large salaries to hire software and computer science people, even the fresh grads

now some signs of slowing growth and recession, they are the first to mass layoff...

Easy come easy go mah.   Nothings changed

Turbocharged
22 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

If I mention LISP 😏

only LOGO. draw turtle, draw

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 6/15/2022 at 9:05 PM, Volvobrick said:

I learnt GW basic, Q-basic, Fortran, Dbase4 and touched an 8088/8086 XT before.  We belong to the same era?

Have you also used the typewriter before? Just curious.

Edited by Albeniz

(edited)

wah ... are we forming a support group for lao ah beng who had learnt all the old programming language and no use now? lol

Cobol and Pascal ... anyone? [sly] 

Edited by Wt_know

On 6/15/2022 at 9:05 PM, Volvobrick said:

I was programming in BASIC from the time of the Apple II. It was built into the firmware of the system. 

Line numbers and everything. Haha, classic stuff. 1983 or so. 

• Praise 1

36 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

I learnt GW basic, Q-basic, Fortran, Dbase4 and touched an 8088/8086 XT before.  We belong to the same era?

Have you also used the typewriter before? Just curious.

You didn't ask me lol but my first PC was an Apple IIe compatible and my first IBM (compatible) was an 8088 XT. 

And yes, I've used a classic typewriter. 😂

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

wah ... are we forming a support group for lao ah beng who had learnt all the old programming language and no use now? lol

Cobol and Pascal ... anyone? [sly] 

I kee chiu. I never learned COBOL but Pascal have. 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2